Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You were suprised that another member’s devices were repeatedly bricked by betas, this was a quick heads up only.
I was trying to follow up to see if a user had not one but two different devices that not on one but two occasions became completely and permanently inoperable because of an update. What a beta is and all that is known and doesn't really have much to do with the actual part of what I was trying to confirm.

That said, speaking of surprising, it seems that something like repeated bricking of devices by betas would be in that category as it would more than likely be a much bigger deal and come up in beta related discussions quite a bit if it was fairly common to have betas destroy devices that users would then basically need to replace themselves.

Last edited:

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Also, CarPlay is super buggy in this beta. Worked great with beta 1. I have a 2017 Honda Civic Touring sedan. CarPlay will connect, but if my screen in my car changes at all (I switch to Honda’s home page, my blinker turns on and Lane Watch comes on, etc.), CarPlay is disconnected immediately and I have to reconnect the phone.

I have the same car and the same issues, which is annoying because beta 1 had a lot of issues with Apple Maps in CarPlay. Now it doesn't stay connected longer than a few minutes.

gomichaelgo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Is anyone else getting a settings update request to "update apple id phone number?" I click on the request but it freezes my phone and won't let me enter anything.

Reactions: quinneverett

olives9

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
NY
Has anyone tried if iOS 12 Beta 2 connects to CarPlay in your respective vehicle? I tried it with Beta 1 and my Acura was not able to see it when plugged in (on iOS 12 beta 1).

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
No quickly accessible audio EQ? No global audio EQ? No customizable audio EQ? Waste 'o time. (I'm only partially kidding.)

Reactions: Voidmoji

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
I was trying to follow up to see if a user had not one but two different devices that not on one but two occasions became completely and permanently inoperable because of an update. What a beta is and all that is known and doesn't really have much to do with the actual part of what I was trying to confirm.

That said, speaking of surprising, it seems that something like repeated bricking of devices by betas would be in that category as it would more than likely be a much bigger deal and come up in beta related discussions quite a bit if it was fairly common to have betas destroy devices that users would then basically need to replace themselves.

Actually this does happen quite a lot, especially with the developer betas. When accesing one from the developer account, what I said earlier is stated by apple as a warning. IOS images contain also firmware (eg the equivalent of EFI) and can definetly brick the iboot.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Actually this does happen quite a lot, especially with the developer betas. When accesing one from the developer account, what I said earlier is stated by apple as a warning. IOS images contain also firmware (eg the equivalent of EFI) and can definetly brick the iboot.
You are saying that updates effectively destroying devices where people the only remaining option is getting of those devices and getting replacements is something that happens a lot?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
You are saying that you had a beta update that completely made your device permanently inoperable and then another one that did the same thing essentially to another device?

Yes. Back then the "connect to iTunes" screen would appear with a different colored background, which was a signal to the Apple Store Geniuses to say "we can't touch this". Then you'd go down the rabbit hole of trying to get developer level support, where you would eventually hear "you installed this at your own risk".

The 2 devices in question became paperweights.

CasparAremi

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
No idea why this could be, but Siri on my HomePod has been absolutely useless since downloading iOS 12 beta 2. She takes forever, saying things like “just a moment” and never actually answers the questions (weather, time, set an alarm, etc.)

I've been getting this all day and its driving me mad. HomePod audio is also lagging behind TV shows on my Apple TV, which its never done before - don't know if that's related or not. But something is definitely up with Siri on the HomePod. Most stuff I ask just times out (she finally says 'Sorry, I couldn't hear you'), though occasionally music will start after a bit of thought.

Reactions: quinneverett

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Has anyone tried if iOS 12 Beta 2 connects to CarPlay in your respective vehicle? I tried it with Beta 1 and my Acura was not able to see it when plugged in (on iOS 12 beta 1).

I'm driving a rental car right now (a cheap Chevy Sonic) and CarPlay seems to be working fine from my iPhone 7 running b2. However, it was not an extensive test, by any means.

Reactions: olives9

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With betas
For something that supposedly happens a lot I can't say that it comes up in the long beta discussions where much more innocuous and less obvious things have been known to come up and discussed quite a bit.

Seems like that would be just a bit of an odd disconnect if it was really something that happens even just sometimes, let alone a lot, for it not to get much discussion, especially around these parts.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
For something that happens a lot I can't say that it comes up in most long beta discussions where much more innocuous and less obvious things have been known to come up and discussed quite a bit. Seems like that would be a bit of an odd disconnect if it was really something that happens even just sometimes, let alone a lot, for it not to get much discussion, especially around these parts.

Ok

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
They should reorganize settings. Horrible design, nothing in alphabetical order and hard to find things. Same goes for Apple Music - looks thrown together by a temp.

Persicuta

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
Sydney, Australia
iOS 12 beta 1 was fine for me on my personal iPhone X. However after installing beta 2 it completely messed up my iMessage. It would not let me log in and only let me use email address to send and receive. Eventually I fixed it though after playing around with it. It wouldn’t even show you the password field to log in. You had to press return on your keyboard. So far it’s solid though apart from that.

b1gted

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Bartlesville, OK
Seems fixed on my iPhone X iOS 12 beta 2. Now showing my actual location and not somewhere in a field

Still buggy for me. It worked for one trip. Then the trip back I was getting no GPS available. and when it would work it was very choppy and didn't know where I actually was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.