Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What's New in iOS 14 Beta 7: Dark Mode Rainbow Wallpapers, App Library Tweaks

TheSkywalker77

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 9, 2017
I'm not too big of a fan of the new "dark mode" rainbow wallpapers changing to a completely black background with the rainbow lines.

Imho, they would look a lot better with the colours themselves darkened, just like the original dark mode wallpapers.

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Anyone know if in the default mail app if you select edit of you can slide down the left hand side to select multiple emails? I know in the early public beta’s you couldn’t

Always able to do this on my iPad (every beta versions). When I won’t be able to I just swipe up to close the app and re-open and I am able to again.

Reactions: Nxybagr
Comment

noraa

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
The iOS update has been pretty awesome, the iPadOS update is beyond lackluster though. It make zero sense not to have Home Screen widgets and the App Library on an iPad. Home screen widgets in particular are a perfect fit for the iPad’s larger screen. Beyond that though, Apple took away the split keyboard feature, which was a great way to type on the iPad while also holding it. I’ve filled a number of feature requests via the Feedback app to no avail.

It’s one thing to not add new features, it’s another to take a really useful feature away for seemingly no reason.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
Is there a way to disable the alert when I go to paste something into chrome? I don’t need to know chrome pasted from outlook.

Comment

dexter69

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Not sure if new, though I just spotted it - in the App Library screen, if you press the screen to edit the layout then double press in the gap - it lets you select/deselect entire tabs. That's pretty cool.

Comment

TheBensonBoy

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
Why’s the wallpaper even a thing people are fussing over?

What stops y’all from just making your own?
Apple won't let us. The only wallpapers you can use are the ones where you can use your own, or Apple can choose which Dark Mode, or Dynamic, or very few Live Photos for you.

Most people mainly fuss over the fact that we cant customize it ourselves, with the exception of Live Photos, but even then, there's only 4, and its very meh.

We want to create our own stuff, or at the very least have a way better selection of wallpapers.

Reactions: otternonsense
Comment

jakeniemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Unless your device is forced to have a rainbow wallpaper, it’s not being forced upon you. Your annoyance that it’s an option does kinda come off as aggressive in a “I don’t care what LGBTQ+ People do in their own homes and bedrooms, but i don’t want to see it!” That’s why people got defensive. No one is forcing anything on you, and the rainbow is part of Apple’s original logo design in addition to being a symbol for the LGBTQ+ community. Do you want them to get rid of the Apple logo on startup too, or are you maybe unnecessarily annoyed by an optional wallpaper?

As far as the App Library showing apps you have installed, that’s its function. They aren’t folders because of the algorithmic nature of them. Maybe a way to customise this feature would be to, in the same space where you can choose apps to be ignored by Search and Siri Suggestions to have a toggle to not be favoured by the algorithm in the App Library category pages. That way people could deprioritise apps they want to keep private or already have on the Home Screen (including if there’s a widget on the Home Screen). That could be a cool implementation. And, speaking of LGBTQ+ people, it could help make closeted people safer with such a privacy option.

Attachments

• DB1673F6-36DE-49D1-A188-A961419B20C1.png
    DB1673F6-36DE-49D1-A188-A961419B20C1.png
    613 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Still needs to be an option to allow you to place the App Library screen before your other home screens instead of the default of after them all (or anywhere in the stack of home screens tbh)

Comment

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors regular
May 10, 2007
Denmark
App Library is unbelievably stupid. Why would people use something that is sorted by some sort of logic that is not their own? If people want their apps sorted, well then, they will sort them in folders.

• Disagree
Reactions: NJFP and whatgift
Comment

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
App Library is unbelievably stupid. Why would people use something that is sorted by some sort of logic that is not their own? If people want their apps sorted, well then, they will sort them in folders.
There are lots of people who don't use folders at all... I see that all the time. I guess Apple is just trying to clean it up for these people and I think that's perfectly fine.
What's not fine is that Apple (again) just doesn't give us the option to disable the App Library page completely. Same goes for placing the apps where we want them to be... Just give us the option. It's like a dogma.

Comment

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Heh. I made my own in Ai when I bought my iPhone 11, precisely to go along with dark mode. :p (The one with the light blue background is still the wallpaper on my iPad Retina [3] – I believe I had to redo-it in Ai as well, as that iPad got stuck at iOS 9.x – and was the one on my old, then mangled and now fixed but ghost-touch-ridden iPhone 5S, at least until I passed it along to my mom).

C9A84C05-4408-4F11-8B3F-4B88E000DBB6.png

Last edited:
Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I really dislike the rainbow wallpapers give us some nice new ones

Those rainbows are too little effort even for a 2005 Nokia phone. Here's an idea: why not pick out some of the best finalist shots from the 'Shot on iPhone' contest and feature them as new iOS wallpapers, also quoting the contributor? It would be a total win win for the brand, the user, and the attractiveness of the iPhone as a device.

Instead, there's this complacency with the same miserable library of rainbows and funeral flowers that's been carried over for years. What’s this supposed to look like for a 2020 mobile OS? What is it with all these fugly flat rainbows anyway –Tim's cost efficient attempt at embracing diversity? iOS used to have the best macro, aerial and landscape wallpapers around. Just make some more of those please.

Last edited:
Comment

the 12th Doctor

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
I want to be able to move the app library around. Basically because I want it to be vertical. one could easily make a bunch of folders, but I want to go vertical GD'it

Comment

whatgift

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2017
Australia
The thing to understand about the App Library is that it is like a physical library - everything is arranged consistently on every device, which is the way it should work. Apple still has some work to do on the categorisation but that will come with time.

There are several other options available - search, the alphabetical list, or home screens if you prefer a manual arrangement.

There is no reason for an option to turn off the library, since it doesn't interfere and can easily just not be used (like settings you won't use in the settings app) and it would be incredibly poor design to have apps not on a home screen that could only be found by searching.

As for wallpapers, it seems like they should just remove most of them since a user can use any picture or photo themselves anyway.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.