Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

What's New in iOS 14 Beta 7: Dark Mode Rainbow Wallpapers, App Library Tweaks

uerceg

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Pretty important change for entire iOS ecosystem which no one is aware since it's under the hood: Apple has granted "grace period" for everyone to adapt to user tracking rules they imposed in WWDC announcement and first six betas where advertising identifier was not available unless app prompts dialog to user asking if they are giving consent to be tracked or not. This is now changed and advertising identifier will be available as in iOS 13 until advertisers get their apps ready to face this change. It will remain like that in 2020, we'll see at which point in 2021 new rules will become a must.

Reactions: whatgift

CrazySuzyn

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
I hate the app library. I’ve already decided categories for my apps and have them in an arrangement that makes sense to me - especially in categories where I have a lot of them like art apps. Why is Apple always trying to tell us how to arrange things when we are all different and have different needs

Reactions: iksretep

iksretep

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
I can't wait for the oficial version of the iOS 14, I know there are quirks to work out as usual ... however, I'm in the same boat when it comes to the App Library, I just don't like it at the moment. The novelty quickly wore out when my most used apps within the categories were reorganized and got buried. It could be part of the beta but I wish the most used apps would stay "on top" so I could quickly access them? How about having the categories locations managable also? To be able to have certain categories on top of the App Library page, etc. On the other hand I would much rather prefer the search field view as a default. Or have the ability to hide/show the App Library ... I think I saw a video of that in Beta 1 somewhere, but I could be wrong.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I prefer a clean look without any of those "suggestions" and "do extra with these apps" within many native apps, library now included.

Reactions: otternonsense

iksretep

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
We haven't had fresh new wallpapers since ~iOS 9. Time to completely overhaul the wallpaper selection; the dafault apple ones are too boring, too small a selection, and have been there for wayyy too long
I think the only time I've used a stock apple wallpaper was when the globe one was out ... I usually just waste my time browsing and looking for one that stands out and I like at the moment, usually some not trending and never will be trending obscure image of something ... I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released yet another app (for wallpapers now) with "curated/suggested" or otherwise "recommended" ones ... instead of letting the end user browse categories uniterrupted.

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
I agree it's imperative to have the ability to hide an app from view. For anyone who had a separate page or folder, with apps hidden in it, now a person can just flick for the app library and see a full list. Very counter intuitive for privacy.
And why can't there just be a guest account already?? The you can let someone else use it for basic iPhone functionality without seeing your private stuff, and have it reset every time it is locked

ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
i would use the app library if the UI was better. why can't it fit all of the folders on the screen at the same time? the fact that we have to scroll down is see all folder is a terrible UI. especially when i already have all my own folders on a single page without scrolling.

Reactions: compwiz1202

drose333

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2020
Omaha
So many pretty rainbows to pick from. I now hate rainbows. Straight to my pictures for selection. Thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pretty important change for entire iOS ecosystem which no one is aware since it's under the hood: Apple has granted "grace period" for everyone to adapt to user tracking rules they imposed in WWDC announcement and first six betas where advertising identifier was not available unless app prompts dialog to user asking if they are giving consent to be tracked or not. This is now changed and advertising identifier will be available as in iOS 13 until advertisers get their apps ready to face this change. It will remain like that in 2020, we'll see at which point in 2021 new rules will become a must.
Is that basically what's being discussed at Apple Delays Ad Anti-Tracking Features Planned for iOS 14 [Updated] (the changes for which don't seem to be part of this iOS 14 beta 7)?

jakeniemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
i would use the app library if the UI was better. why can't it fit all of the folders on the screen at the same time? the fact that we have to scroll down is see all folder is a terrible UI. especially when i already have all my own folders on a single page without scrolling.

You realise that you not only don’t have to use the App Library, but you can continue to use your current home screens and organisational folders, right? No one is taking that away and forcing you to use a new system-wide tool that isn’t really what you’re complaining about it being.

As many others have said: it’s a library. Similar how on macOS you don’t see Launchpad or your Applications folder at all times, you don’t see the App Library at all times. It’s not a Home Screen. The benefit of App Library is that it’s one spot with all of your apps, so things can be removed/hidden from the Home Screen.

Computers 4 U LLC

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2017
Kansas City
Seems to be the thing I'm watching for with each update: Do pinned text conversations finally stay pinned?

Update: They do not...

They do stay pinned, I've been using this feature since one of the first early betas and it has worked flawlessly for me. I have 3 pinned threads and they have remained pinned to the top throughout the betas.

jakeniemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah, I’m on the public beta and my pinned conversations have stayed pinned.

Now, the assigned photo for group threads hasn’t always stayed put... but that’s less an issue of functionality than a little design bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They do stay pinned, I've been using this feature since one of the first early betas and it has worked flawlessly for me. I have 3 pinned threads and they have remained pinned to the top throughout the betas.
There were various people that have had pins disappear or not work properly in some earlier betas.

ericg301

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
You realise that you not only don’t have to use the App Library, but you can continue to use your current home screens and organisational folders, right? No one is taking that away and forcing you to use a new system-wide tool that isn’t really what you’re complaining about it being.

As many others have said: it’s a library. Similar how on macOS you don’t see Launchpad or your Applications folder at all times, you don’t see the App Library at all times. It’s not a Home Screen. The benefit of App Library is that it’s one spot with all of your apps, so things can be removed/hidden from the Home Screen.

yes im not an idiot. what i am saying from a UI perspective, app library is a poorer experience than manual app management where you can put every app in a folder on a single page that doesn't require scrolling. curious why they didn't just automatically create the same folder UI paradigm that we've been used to.

jakeniemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
yes im not an idiot. what i am saying from a UI perspective, app library is a poorer experience than manual app management where you can put every app in a folder on a single page that doesn't require scrolling. curious why they didn't just automatically create the same folder UI paradigm that we've been used to.

I find it to be a better experience, as things move around based on how often I use them. Apps I need occasionally but not often are filed away, and I only need one Home Screen. I find myself scrolling, swiping, and tapping a lot less because I don’t need to access as many folders all of the time. It also has shortcuts, something folders do not have. So if there is only one or two apps in a category that I use daily, despite needing others occasionally, I like having the shortcut directly accessible rather than having to tap into the folder then choose the app multiple times every day.

To me, using it, it’s a lot more efficient than having folders and categories like I had before, especially as I have been able to go down to a single Home Screen and the App Library. It’s become annoying that I have to resort to so many folders on my iPad because this feature isn’t available on iPadOS.

And all of that said, if the folders you have work better for you: App Library doesn’t take that away. You still can do that. But one page with scrolling is a lot more useful to others without taking anything from you.

Reactions: whatgift

uerceg

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Is that basically what's being discussed at Apple Delays Ad Anti-Tracking Features Planned for iOS 14 [Updated] (the changes for which don't seem to be part of this iOS 14 beta 7)?

Yes. TLDR of the change is pretty much: In betas prior to 7, IDFA was not available unless user gives consent to be tracked; as of beta 7, IDFA is available unless user gives an answer in dialog that he doesn't want to be tracked.

Pretty much if app decides not to show dialog at all, IDFA will be there.

PrecisionGem

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
Unless your device is forced to have a rainbow wallpaper, it’s not being forced upon you. Your annoyance that it’s an option does kinda come off as aggressive in a “I don’t care what LGBTQ+ People do in their own homes and bedrooms, but i don’t want to see it!” That’s why people got defensive. No one is forcing anything on you, and the rainbow is part of Apple’s original logo design in addition to being a symbol for the LGBTQ+ community. Do you want them to get rid of the Apple logo on startup too, or are you maybe unnecessarily annoyed by an optional wallpaper?

As far as the App Library showing apps you have installed, that’s its function. They aren’t folders because of the algorithmic nature of them. Maybe a way to customise this feature would be to, in the same space where you can choose apps to be ignored by Search and Siri Suggestions to have a toggle to not be favoured by the algorithm in the App Library category pages. That way people could deprioritise apps they want to keep private or already have on the Home Screen (including if there’s a widget on the Home Screen). That could be a cool implementation. And, speaking of LGBTQ+ people, it could help make closeted people safer with such a privacy option.
Would you be happy if there maybe 6 or 7 different Christian theme wall papers or what about 6 patriotic American themes? Don’t you think is a bit much when almost 1/3 of the wall papers are lgbtq?

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Same no unpinning or hiding messages so far in 7 for me either

compwiz1202

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Would you be happy if there maybe 6 or 7 different Christian theme wall papers or what about 6 patriotic American themes? Don’t you think is a bit much when almost 1/3 of the wall papers are lgbtq?
I personally think more variety would be nice.

jakeniemeyer

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019

Again, the rainbow has been part of Apple’s logo since the beginning of the company. Many of their products have incorporated rainbow design elements since the beginning.

Now, if we’re going to pretend that the rainbow design is not the pattern and colour order found in Apple logo/designs: why should they support a marginalised group versus a single country or one of the biggest religions, many members of which persecute people of that marginalised group? I think it’s pretty straightforward.

(Speaking as a Christian, it’s not Jewish people picketing funerals with signs that say “God Hates Fags”. There’s a reason to give support and representation to people being persecuted for how they were born and not support for what people choose to believe.)

Reactions: verpeiler

PrecisionGem

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
Maryland
Again, the rainbow has been part of Apple’s logo since the beginning of the company. Many of their products have incorporated rainbow design elements since the beginning.

Now, if we’re going to pretend that the rainbow design is not the pattern and colour order found in Apple logo/designs: why should they support a marginalised group versus a single country or one of the biggest religions, many members of which persecute people of that marginalised group? I think it’s pretty straightforward.

(Speaking as a Christian, it’s not Jewish people picketing funerals with signs that say “God Hates Fags”. There’s a reason to give support and representation to people being persecuted for how they were born and not support for what people choose to believe.)

Of course you know Apple has not used that color scheme in their logo for 30 years.

You would just think that for the richest company in the world, with thousands of employees, they could come it with more variety and innovative wall paper. The rainbow ones all pretty much look alike, not much diversity there.

How about some that support cancer, or alzheimers... could be some cool image of brain cells. It just feels that Apple supports one thing. I could think of a bunch of marginalized groups or causes, or just interesting designs. Lets face it, what we think or may not think the rainbow wall paper stands for, it's kind of a boring design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.