What’s on your mind?

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Scored a killer deal just now on an iPad 12.9" 3rd gen, 64GB, more-or-less NIB (only 2 weeks old), $740 delivered o_O (~$165 cheaper than an Apple refurb)
I might end up annoyed at the 64GB but otherwise I'm almost envious. I still have a 2017 10.5" iPad Pro though with plenty storage and that runs iOS13 fine, so your deal does seem really attractive for stuff that just screams for more screen real estate.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I wanted some leather, brown/dark-brown caz/biz-caz sneakers, wasn't sure which ones I liked - hahahaha, ordered 4 different pairs to cover my bases (with free, Amazon NQA returns, Rockports, Ecco, Cole Haan)

We just planned a crazy spring break trip [everyone] ORLANDO >> [everyone] PITT >> [ me] DC >> [everyone] ORLANDO >> [everyone] Universal :D (packing a business trip in the middle)

Scored a killer deal just now on an iPad 12.9" 3rd gen, 64GB, more-or-less NIB (only 2 weeks old), $740 delivered o_O (~$165 cheaper than an Apple refurb)
That's so awesome!

I'm looking into getting a new iPad myself. I really want a 12.9. My first gen 9.7 is like new but I want a bigger screen. I use it like a television.

So I have maybe 5 apps I use on it total. I hope I have good luck finding one soon. We'll see I suppose.

Reactions: LizKat

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
I love my 12.9 iPad! I bought the second-generation one a few months after it became available and really soon appreciated the larger screen and other advantages, so when the third generation came along a while later, I swapped out the older one. I love my third-generation 12.9 iPad even more! It doesn't leave the house, it is used at home in various places: out on the deck in warm weather (with an external Apple BT keyboard), it is used in the house at night and sometimes in the mornings in bed, and when I am seated at the computer workstation it is close at hand, for quick look-ups so I don't have to disturb the screen I'm on in the computer.....

I don't really watch all that much TV or many movies, and usually when I do watch something it's on the computer/external monitor rather than the 12.9 iPad, but, yeah, it would also make a dandy viewer for television or movies!

When I go on a trip I take the iPad Mini 5 and my 12" MacBook, which make great traveling companions, each for their own reasons. At one time I did have the iPad 10.5 but after I got the 12.9 I decided I didn't need that size any more, the 12.9 was much better for my purposes, and I have not regretted that decision. Go for the 12.9 -- you will LOVE it!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It is really challenging now when there may be more jobs around but they're not all great or even have defined hours... and trying to work two jobs to stash up some money for a family in future can be quite a trap. I mean it's your life you're living even while you're doing that.

Sometimes a couple can agree to reduce expectations on what kind of material setup they'd like to have and settle for pretty much rock bottom basics for several years in order to try to save up for a step up later on.

Keep an eye out for a way to step up to better pay.

Meanwhile try to keep spending down to putting food on table, roof over head, skip everything but utilities and insurance and enough clothes so you don't look like you only have one pair of jeans and they should be in the wash right now.

Tell the people you love what you're doing so they don't expect holiday gifts and you don't end up turning down dinner invites because reciprocating isn't in your budget.

It's a hard row to hoe for very long... but it's better than just rummaging around in couch cushions for money to put into a savings account once in awhile.

Every penny counts. 100 of them are a dollar and five of them might be for something you'd rather have now but don't really need, so just say no and remember what you and your significant other if you have one already are trying to save up for.
Sage advice.

I would add know the difference between wants and needs.
I want a new iPhone. Rather than I need a new iPhone.

Buying coffee out isn’t necessary. Make it at home. You’d be surprised at what you could save.

Live within your means.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I love my 12.9 iPad! I bought the second-generation one a few months after it became available and really soon appreciated the larger screen and other advantages, so when the third generation came along a while later, I swapped out the older one. I love my third-generation 12.9 iPad even more! It doesn't leave the house, it is used at home in various places: out on the deck in warm weather (with an external Apple BT keyboard), it is used in the house at night and sometimes in the mornings in bed, and when I am seated at the computer workstation it is close at hand, for quick look-ups so I don't have to disturb the screen I'm on in the computer.....

I don't really watch all that much TV or many movies, and usually when I do watch something it's on the computer/external monitor rather than the 12.9 iPad, but, yeah, it would also make a dandy viewer for television or movies!

When I go on a trip I take the iPad Mini 5 and my 12" MacBook, which make great traveling companions, each for their own reasons. At one time I did have the iPad 10.5 but after I got the 12.9 I decided I didn't need that size any more, the 12.9 was much better for my purposes, and I have not regretted that decision. Go for the 12.9 -- you will LOVE it!
Good info, sort of reinforces my decision - I was knocking around an 11" vs. a 12.9", both latest gen pro models with the same CPU/GPU, small bezels, Pencil 2 support, FID, etc., so really just a difference in physical/display size. From my perspective, the 11" isn't that much more portable vs. a 12.9, neither fit in a pocket, either fit in a small bag/backpack pouch, and while there's a good $200 or so difference, I wanted the most/best usability.

Maybe on a sofa, with a little less, weight, the 11" is a little more "hand friendly", but what it came down to was screen real estate. The 12.9 has a wider ratio, so seems to be terrific for using in portrait mode, and then if it's in landscape - especially if docked with a KB - it has more height in landscape mode (in terms of ratio), the 11" is a little taller/wider, so probably a touch better for movies in ~1.7 widescreen.

Since this was probably a primary mobile device for me, I wanted it to be as much of a "laptop replacement" as possible, so figured for that, bigger is better. The funny thing is a 3rd Gen 12.9 model is only 11x8.5", it's the same as a [letter] sheet of paper! That works for me!

I actually needed something to show some prototype work, and almost just scored something like a 10.5 Pro, which is still an excellent tablet, but I also wanted to experiment with this as a primary mobile device, possibly the wife using it with a KB, mouse, display in the near future vs. a notebook, I want to setup the little artist in the family with a Pencil 2 and Procreate.

And comics, so many comics I want to read, hahahaha :D

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Good info, sort of reinforces my decision - I was knocking around an 11" vs. a 12.9", both latest gen pro models with the same CPU/GPU, small bezels, Pencil 2 support, FID, etc., so really just a difference in physical/display size. From my perspective, the 11" isn't that much more portable vs. a 12.9, neither fit in a pocket, either fit in a small bag/backpack pouch, and while there's a good $200 or so difference, I wanted the most/best usability.

Maybe on a sofa, with a little less, weight, the 11" is a little more "hand friendly", but what it came down to was screen real estate. The 12.9 has a wider ratio, so seems to be terrific for using in portrait mode, and then if it's in landscape - especially if docked with a KB - it has more height in landscape mode (in terms of ratio), the 11" is a little taller/wider, so probably a touch better for movies in ~1.7 widescreen.

Since this was probably a primary mobile device for me, I wanted it to be as much of a "laptop replacement" as possible, so figured for that, bigger is better. The funny thing is a 3rd Gen 12.9 model is only 11x8.5", it's the same as a [letter] sheet of paper! That works for me!

I actually needed something to show some prototype work, and almost just scored something like a 10.5 Pro, which is still an excellent tablet, but I also wanted to experiment with this as a primary mobile device, possibly the wife using it with a KB, mouse, display in the near future vs. a notebook, I want to setup the little artist in the family with a Pencil 2 and Procreate.

And comics, so many comics I want to read, hahahaha :D
I'm getting the 12.9 through T-Mobile. It's going to be so nice for watching media. I'll keep it as long, if not longer, than my iPad Pro 9.7 2016 model. So I'll get my money out of it for sure. Plus 64GB vs my current 32GB will be a nice little cushion if I want to download movies for offline viewing. I'm excited now!

Reactions: Clix Pix and LizKat

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Even though I have to use AT&T for primary cell service, T-Mobile is still my favorite. They waived fees, free overnight shipping, $0 data plan called On Demand, and the monthly payment is $30 for 24 months. I could pay it off early with no penalty as well. No way AT&T would be this generous or awesome.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I feel like I'm a dumb consumer.

I got the 11 Pro Max for the freedom from a battery charger or battery case and the way it sounded playing YouTube. I'm getting the iPad Pro 12.9 3rd generation as an expensive television.

I guess to be fair to myself, I don't upgrade often. I tried, then returned, an XS and an 11. Inevitably settling on the Pro Max with a decent trade in value (More than double what I'd paid for it) on an iPhone 7 I'd bought to try out Verizon. I've had my iPad Pro 9.7 since 2016. So it's not like I drop loads of cash frequently.

I just notice how people are taking photos with their Pro Max, others are being artistic with their iPad Pro and here I am being a simpleton.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A "Reminder".
I let go, though getting fed up slowly.
Most probably time has come to walk out of MR door as I don't have any intention to deal with infantile manifestations. Especially not now.
Don’t go! Steer clear of PRSI? That seems to be where the breakdown is occurring.
- - Post merged: - -

Even though I have to use AT&T for primary cell service, T-Mobile is still my favorite. They waived fees, free overnight shipping, $0 data plan called On Demand, and the monthly payment is $30 for 24 months. I could pay it off early with no penalty as well. No way AT&T would be this generous or awesome.

I left Sprint after 3 decades+ because they refused to match TMobile’s 55+ plan, 2 phones for $55 a month if you are 55 years old or older. With Sprint, I was paying $130/month. It’s a bit ironic that Sprint and TMobile merged although they are still functioning as different entities.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Don’t go! Steer clear of PRSI? That seems to be where the breakdown is occurring.

Stay, stay.
Personally, I just put PRSI in all the possible ignore lists; I enjoy MR much more now.
This. I just don’t have the time to deal with PRSI posts and the hot head posting. Just hang out in the more civilised parts of MR’s.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I try to stay civilized in PRSI. Though it's getting easier to just not reply most days. I'm on Twitter, politics is an ongoing thing there.
I am rarely on twitter, and I check social media probably twice a week now at most. I am kinda bored of Twitter, IG, and FB (only exception: reddit). I am kinda spending my reading time and brain power in the company of people like Seneca, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Plato, Melville, Dostoevskji, Dante, and @Scepticalscribe .

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
Although I have a FB account and a Twitter account, I rarely visit Twitter at all and my FB account is mainly to keep up with some groups in which I'm interested as well as a few friends and family. I seldom post anything about myself or what I'm doing, as my everyday life isn't all that interesting.

On here one place I don't participate is PRSI! Not my thing, really.....

Reactions: Apple fanboy

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Stay, stay.
Personally, I just put PRSI in all the possible ignore lists; I enjoy MR much more now.
No, guys. It was not PRSI.
It was a reserved reply to a self-important, high-handed post.
The context was not taken into account and there was no distinction between cause and effect.
This partial reaction happened not for the first time.
I've been preoccupied with certain phenomena, not being active lately. Maybe I won't be at all as I don't know what the future brings.
This post will be deleted.
I enjoyed your company. Thank you.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn