What's so special about Jet Black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tbluhp, Sep 25, 2016.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

I remember when the Gold color was high demand, that was only because it was a new color. Though why Jet Black?

2. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

Nothing. It's just how a bunch of rich people like to show off that they bought the newest and greatest iPhone. Its just about flaunting wealth, plain and simple.

3. mcvaughan macrumors 6502a

I think because it's a new color, and people have been clamoring for another proper "black" similar to the 3G/4/4S/5/5S.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    Bitter much?

4. Rackness01 macrumors member

Both of the black colors are new but jet black is the most obvious at a glance new color. Same reason rose gold(pink) was the shiny new object last year.

5. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

Cause it's new. Remember how everyone was clamouring after the white iPhone 4's when they were delayed? Then when gold came out, less so with rose gold as that's more of a feminine colour (and even then not all girls like pink). For the vast majority of people that don't care about or don't understand the new features then colour is the only way of showing they have the latest and greatest.

I've always had the black faced phones, be it black plastic, slate grey, space grey or the new matte black, as I've found the white faced phones a little girly for my tastes. As they only offer one back colour with the black face of each generation then I don't care too much what that colour is.

6. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

7. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

That's why cases are made, to help with color choices!!!

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Couldn't get one huh?
    We understand

9. Geert76 macrumors 65816

what's so special about the jetblack iPhone 7 for me?
    one simple plain answer: grip!

Have owned every single iPhone starting 3GS and up.....this is the first and only iPhone ever made with such a phenomanal grip (out of the box).
    Where the iPhone 6S and 7 (non jetblack color) feels like your holding a soapblock, this jetblack iPhone gives you this feeling it sticks to your hands (no sweaty hands :p).

I am using the jetblack iPhone for 4 days now (naked), no visible scratches.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Why?

Because Apple customers have been asking Apple for the return of black as a color choice since the iPhone 5s.

Since the 5s, Space Gray has been the only color remotely close to black and Gray is NOT black.

11. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

Someone once said...don't sell the steak....sell the sizzle.....the OS in this phone is the same as you can have on 5C.....nothing at all special about Black..except making it much harder in find if you lay it in a pile of clothes on your bed or if it falls off the seat in the passenger seat on the floor. Most buyers will not consider these issues.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hate cases.

No cases!!!

13. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I was going to order one I thought it looked cool, but after reading how much it can scratch + the finger smudges, I was hesitant. Besides with a case it becomes a non-issue. Then I saw it first-hand at the Apple Store, maybe it's just me but it fetl cheap, like it was made of plastic! I know that's not exactly what Apple has in mind with the shiny gloss but that's really how it looked to me. I ended up getting a matte black 7+ to replace my 6. It looks absolutely gorgeous, the finish is perfect.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not that it's special. It's just the first time that black-buyers have had a choice and so now they're all talking about it whereas before they had zero reason to talk about which color to buy.

That's all it is; more talking.

And I haven't noticed an overwhelming preference in those conversations for one black over the other. People seem plenty interested in both.

15. foxconn Suspended

this. the grip is amazing.

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Ordered the Silver iPhone 7 in 4.7, which looks classy to me. Also ordered the Gold 7 Plus in 5.5, which has yet to arrive. Not interested in the Jet Black at all. I would purchase the Matte Black over the Jet Black. I don't mind the white bezel on the silver and Gold.

17. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Wow, really? I would have thought it would be a slippery mess. I haven't had a chance to go and play with one yet.

18. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Can you please share your iPhone 7 pictures :)

19. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I just buy whatever is the new color for that year

20. kevink2 macrumors 65816

If I had gone with the JB, I would have bought a clear case. Went with MB, so I got a black case instead. And after 4 years worth of white fronts, I'm back to black front.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, it's counterintuitive and took many MR members by surprise. However, the glossy black iPhone 3G/3GS was also the same way, less slippery than their 4/5/6 series counterparts.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Nothing wrong with rich people. When was the last time you worked for a poor person.

It was Apple who hyped the new JB phones. Created lots of interest and then could not deliver. Created some "bad will" for Apple but I suspect they will recover.

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would still like to handle the Jet Black, but I'm not interested in purchasing one. The Jet Black looks sharp though.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    That's basically what I did. I only purchased Space Gray on my iPhones. Now, I purchased the Silver and Gold for the iPhone 7, which I really appreciate the white bezel.

24. melmar3 macrumors newbie

melmar3

Got my 7+ 256 jet black yesterday and its beautiful! Grips amazing. Looks great eith a clear case.

25. southflguy macrumors regular

Not really rich people - the Jet Blacks cost the same as the other colors.