Whats so special about the Link Bracelet?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Juansito, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

It just hit me that the link bracelet is $450 plus tax.

You can buy a 42mm apple watch sport with an extra band for that price. Why is it so special that apple thinks its worth more than an apple watch sport. Were the links forged by the Dark Lord Sauron himself or something....geez

Attached Files:

2. ihatephish macrumors regular

IMO it looks the most professional, but that is clearly subjective. That said, it's not worth the cost, IMO.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

The look. The material. And especially the mechanism. You can easily take the links off or put them on without a fuss.

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Watch the video about it?

Amazing design including the extremely easy resizing capability and the nearly flush latching mechanism. This is a design level simply unheard of at this price level. It takes 9 hours to machine and polish the parts, with hand brushing of the metal afterwards, and it looks much, much nicer in real life than any pics can convey.

Personally, I'm fascinated with the thing and can't wait to be an owner of one, but, maybe you don't appreciate the same things? Everyone must determine their own values for things.

5. angle macrumors regular

A combination of features; however the two that most readily come to mind:

1. Removable links sans tool - This is a huge factor as link bands typically require a tool to remove the links.

2. Flush clasp - This is obviously aesthetic, however it's an engineering aspect that took time / is impressive.

6. riotrhythm macrumors regular

riotrhythm

7. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

It isn't hard to find plenty of other stainless steel watches for $1k. Even just basic stainless steel bracelets can cost over $500. Can't answer your question, though, never have understood the price of jewelry.

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I tried it and I concur... It was gorgeous in real life. Like the Apple watch the photos are unable to capture all of the beauty.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

It's made in China, it can't cost Apple much.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The short answer is they're charging $450 because they can.

11. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

The reality is that there is nothing special other than it's made by Apple. Within a short time there will be a huge amount of options available of bands. Including link bands. But if you want one now the Apple band is your only option.

12. Juansito thread starter macrumors regular

Juansito

I did try it and that video is just marketing crap. When I held it at my appointment it felt cheap. Maybe I just don't understand but then again I'm spending $400 on an apple watch so whatever lol thanks for the replies.

13. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

It has nothing to do with how much it costs Apple. It's all about how much it costs you.

How will you do making your own?

Where will you buy an alternative on this level?

Good luck finding what Apple's offering for anything less!

Market values are not about the cost to the seller, they are about the cost to the buyer.

14. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Every time I see it at  store I'm floored by how beautiful it looks. I will get it but won't rush. Still want leather loop and melanese

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I can find a nice one on the web for 50 and get a converter for the apple watch for 10.

16. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

The ease of removing links is impressive and innovative, but the thing is that most people only ever have to resize something like this once when they buy it, so I'm not sure if it's really a big advantage. It does seem like it's not really that overpriced compared to similar higher-end steel bands, but it also doesn't seem that different at a glance from the bands on much cheaper watches.

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That method will look incredibly cheap compared to Apple's offering, as theirs was designed to blend in to the watch but the aftermarket variants - at least for now - will all terminate in a 22mm, straight pin, with a small gap between the pin and the mount/watch case.

18. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

It is an extremely high quality product, but it suffers from  tax as much as anything they've ever made.

19. abluehaze macrumors regular

You've been drinking that Jony Ive Kool-aid.

20. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

Clearly in this thread, there are those who love it, and think the price is justified, and those that don't. So buy it, or don't...

I ordered it, can't wait.

21. Juansito thread starter macrumors regular

Juansito

People are going to buy what they want Im not worried about what other people spend their money on. The question was why does apple think a bracelet link band is worth more than an apple watch.

We all know some dude in China is pressing these links out in a machine and putting it together for pennies.

22. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

If some dude in China is spending 9 hours polishing and getting paid pennies, that's really sad :(

23. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

I love it, I'm buying it, but I agree it is extremely expensive. It's $50 less than the stainless watch. I'll resize it once, so while its cool that it's easy to do, it doesn't really matter.

24. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

The link bracelet was really nice in person and even though it was heavy the weight made it feel more expensive. Of course it is a lot more expensive and since it has the same functionality as the Sport model, for me it is not worth the price jump. The space grey Sport that I ordered looks very nice and was really comfortable. If money was no object though the link bracelet would be the model I would likely go for.

25. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

The link bracelet its ugly because they wanted to make the easy to remove link stuff, something that its not necessary nor welcome imo :) you get a bracelet and remove the links or add more, after that you won't mess with it again.

Because of how it works its why it looks ugly and boring (my opinion of course!) with no decorations, not even on the deployment.