Whats so special about the Link Bracelet?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Juansito, Apr 11, 2015.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

The link bracelet really is great it felt so much better than other watches I've tried. The quality is just unbelievable. That being said it's more than I want to spend (more than my watch sport!) but the next watch I buy in a few years will be SS with that band

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

deleted

3. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

This has been covered many times now.

The Brietling SS link bracelet is $500. It is well-crafted, beautiful, and requires a jeweler with special tools to adjust the length.

The Apple SS link bracelet is the same, but with a better design and is $50 less.

Who cares how much the Apple Sport watch costs? It isn't even remotely the same item.

Honestly? You are surprised because you don't know anything about watches.

4. Juansito thread starter macrumors regular

Juansito

you really believe the marketing crap? Lmao 9 hours lol

----------

Your comparing Brietling to an apple sweatshop ok lol

5. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I would argue the leather loop is higher % apple tax. That cheap ass thing looks like it cost 1 dollar to make. I've had 3 leather apple products they all ripped and fell apart

6. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Depending on what 3rd party options for link bands become available in the next several months, I'm up for getting the Apple link band despite the $450 price tag. I preordered the SS with black sport band.

I like it and I can afford it. I'm assuming I'll be able to use it with whatever Gen 2 or Gen 3 watch pops up. If not, I'll worry about what to do with it then.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, nonsense. The link bracelet in for the Watch is a revolutionary reinvention of the accessory. Before Apple, the owner of new link bracelets were required to visit a local jeweler to adjust its length. Without question, for most owners this visit is a one-time thing. However, most owners are not all owners. Some people lose weight; others gain weight. Still other owners will gift their watches to others. Each major change may require a visit to the jeweler for adjustments with a traditional link bracelet. With an Apple bracelet, none of the changes will require a visit to the jeweler.

To the OP's question: What makes the Apple link bracelet so special is that I want it. The Watch is the only way that I can get it. I have it on order.

8. dotnet macrumors 65816

dotnet

If the $50 band pleases you than that's what you should get. There's really not much more to it.

----------

He's comparing a Breitling sweatshop to an Apple sweatshop :)

Seriously, the bulk of Swiss (and other European) watch manufacture has been taking place in Taiwan and China for many years.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bought the classic buckle model but plan on buying a link bracelet at some point as an "upgrade."

10. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Like I say is my opinion, but I would never have in consideration a bracelet alone just because it's easy to add or remove a link; that's simple and you can do it yourself like me and many people do.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

Warning: negative review on the link bracelet here

The thing always looked like an old school Casio band to me. I never thought it was attractive. However, the backstory on the machining process and the magnetic links made me respect it for a technological marvel.

One video showed that each link was magnetic, and you could resize on teh fly by just pulling the links apart. I thought that was cool.

then I went to try it on. In person, it looks just like it does in pics: like a Casio Watch. Nothing about it looks high end to justify the high price imo. Then I felt it. With the clasp closed, it feels fine. However, while the clasp is open, it feels very cheap. The butterfly mechanism and how everything folds into itself is very elegant. That's the best part about the bracelet. The most disappointing part: while you don't need a tool to resize the links, there is a button for each individual piece, and all the mechanisms and individual links end up feeling cheap and like plastic.

To be fair, all the bracelets felt cheaper than I had imagined. Even the milanese, which I had ordered, was a significant let-down. I think the better looking bracelets will come from third parties down the road.

12. Juansito thread starter macrumors regular

Juansito

You got a link to that video? I keep seeing people mention it but I can't find it

13. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Can you link to the cheap Casio band you are talking about?

14. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

No point in comparing it to the Apple Watch Sport as it has nothing to do with it. You might as well compare it to a Cruise Ship and if you do then the Apple Link Bracelet is cheap.

Any quality Link Bracelet will cost you a fair amount of money and if you know anything about quality watches you will know what I mean.

No one can convince you its priced right so get what you think is right for you.

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

I have the opposite opinion and it seemed like by far the nicest looking to me during try on session. Also felt the most like a premium watch and not tech watch. But I can see your point, just different opinion.

16. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I think the melinese (sp) looks pretty professional. It's 300 dollars cheaper. The classic buckle is great for when exercising. I think those two bands are the perfect combo In my opinion.

17. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

Just to be clear, I'm absolutely comparing Brietling's stainless steel band to Apple's. I don't care if Tim Cook's housekeeper is making them in his basement in exchange for snacks. It is an impressive piece of work and design, and it is very comparible to Brietling's offering in that space.

I am not comparing Brietling's relatively recent Chronomat or Navitimer, for which they (finally) make their own movement, to anything Apple makes. Those are not comparible, which is why the watch collectors don't have any of this on their radar.

The bracelet, however, is a work of art. Truly.

They should make a version with standard bar pin watch attachments. They've already done all the heavy lifting, and it would be so easy to do. Now that is how they could start to get some attention in the watch world. Not by putting a gold casing on a little computer.

18. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

The Milanese Bracelet to me looks very well made.

As a watch band, it is very practical. it is waterproof, essentially scratch and dent proof, and the magnetic closure means it will always fit, and very well at that. It also has a very clean look, which is good.

It is also very dated, and feels very feminine. Remember Skagen watches in the late 80s, early 90s?

But, seriously, that's just my take on it. If you like it, get it.

Watches are like clothing - very personal.

19. Aeons macrumors member

it may take 9 hours to make and cost 499€ but i can tell you it looks and feels like a cheap light weight band after owning a Omega Seamaster

i wonder if the Apple Watch 2 will be compatible with these first generation bands.

20. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that Casio version is tapered for women, and it is gold, but you can clearly see the resemblance. I am pretty sure they had silver male versions that looked even more like the Apple band.

21. splogue macrumors 6502

splogue

If it is not compatible, that would almost have to be deliberate. Regardless of the physical changes they make to the casing, like making it thinner, they could easily keep compatibility with the strap attachment points.

That said, my guess is that gen 2 will be compatible, and gen 3 is a roll of the dice. I've noticed that Apple seems to care about only a two year window of products. After that, they seem to assume everyone will buy a new one. Just another reason nobody should ever buy a 10K watch from them.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I love the link bracelet but it costs more than I'm willing to spend at the moment.

If there was a commitment from Apple that the bracelet fittings would stay the same for 2 or 3 generations then I'd get one in a heartbeat but I'm currently viewing my watch and bands as a single generation purchase and spending appropriately for me

23. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

It's not that high quality, really. I mean it's definitely better than a moto 360 bracelet, but you can't expect GrandSeiko quality from a $400 made in china bracelet. :D

24. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Was set on the link from the get go but found it so disappointing in person. Links are way too thin and it felt cheaper than my SS gshock (which cost $120!).. The band alone in Australia is $650 - so not worth it. Went Milanese.

25. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I suspect many of the people bashing the link are likely the ones getting the sport bands or cheaper models. While it's expensive, and rather plain, I think it's still one of the sharpest bands they released next to the modern buckle