Whats the best backpack i can get for the macbook 13"

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
Going to college; and i want something i can throw my laptop and books in; but i want the laptop to be properly protected....

What are your suggestions?

THANKS!

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I think the most important thing about a backpack for your computer is to make sure it has a padded compartment for your laptop. I didn't think about that when I bought a currier bag for my laptop. It wasn't padded and I ended up having to buy a padded sleeve for my PB. I did find a good padded backpack later.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I have the Oakley Icon 2.
Here s a picture of my bag... Click Here

It is really nice especially if you are in College and have a cramped up schedule where you cant make it back to the dorm so you are forced to take books with you. The boogbag was able to fit in 1.5 inch binder and two textbooks. The padding on the laptop was pretty good too. It was lifted so it doesnt sit on the bottom of the backback so if you slam your backpack on the ground, it doesnt get it. The inside gets a .5 cm worth of padding and from the outside it is approximately 1.5 cm thick because of the back padding as well. It has an easy access from the side where you can unzip, but can be accessed from the inside just as well.

It has alot of space as well. There are two pockets on the side. One pocket is able to fit all my cables, AC adapter, and a MS mouse in it just fine. The front also is very spacious. Almost too many pockets. Often I thought i lost something but in actuality, I just misplaced it in the front pocket where it can jiggle around and fall into another pocket.

One complaint/problem i have with the bag is that the side pockets is that they arent lifted like where the laptop is stored. I had my ipod in there and when I took off my backback and hit the floor, my ipod hit the floor too which made it crack. So the best part to put it is the front. However the front allow things to jiggle around too much that putting it in the front may expose it to the mesh at the front as well, which can provoke someone to try to mug you. I was thinking of going to a craft store and buy a zipper to zip it in there so that things wont jiggle around as much. Then it will be the perfect bag :)

FYI: I used it with my 12'' PB, but it was very roomy for the laptop. I think it was designed for a 15'' laptop, however it still works WONDERFULLY in my opinion. I plan on getting a macbook too, and I think it will work out just as well.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
wako said:
I have the Oakley Icon 2.
Here s a picture of my bag... Click Here
Just checked that link from the US outdoor store. Are you in oregon/portland? And does the backpack have a dedicated slot for the computer?
-dsm

Anoi

macrumors member
May 18, 2006
Personally i've just gone for an Eastpak bag, and am using a sleeve as well :) Hopefully it'll arrive in a few days so i can test it out!

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
DMPDX said:
Just checked that link from the US outdoor store. Are you in oregon/portland? And does the backpack have a dedicated slot for the computer?
-dsm

That link that I gave was not the one I bought it from.I bought it from ebags, but they dont have it in stock anymore.

But no I am not in the oregan/portland area. In fact Im on the other side of the US :D

The backpack does indeed have a dedicated "slot." Its actually really nice because its somewhat elastic I think. So its always a somewhat tight fit despite it being designed for a 15'' notebook

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
heh this reminds me I have a dell notebook backpack that I scored as some free marketing swag. An apple macbook in a dell backpack now thats an interesting combination lol

I too am currious as to what is out there specificaly fit and avail for the macbook since I dont realy want to be seen with a dell ;) and will probably get something beter later when i have more money to spend on accessories.

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Get a sleeve

Get a laptop sleeve to protect your MacBook, and then put the sleeve into a regular backpack. That's what I do.

I think it's a lot more flexible option, and your backpack probably doesn't look like it's carrying a computer. I really don't like how backpacks designed to hold laptops look like they're holding a laptop; I don't want to walk around wearing a backpack that's advertising "expensive laptop inside!"

I have a sleeve from Waterfield Designs, and a large daypack from REI that fits both the sleeve+computer and my school books.

Alex

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I have a brenthaven backpack designed for the 15" powerbook but works with my 12"er and i absolutely love this backpack

Best 175 bucks i have ever spent on a backpack thats for sure.

So much padding and so much space in it

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Stm

Not in college, but I have an STM Sphere that I got from radtech.us. Macbook fits perfectly in the laptop area, which is in the middle of the bag (Which I thought would be nice since it wouldn't create a rigid panel right on my back).

Recommended.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
gerbilbox said:
Get a laptop sleeve to protect your MacBook, and then put the sleeve into a regular backpack. That's what I do.

I think it's a lot more flexible option, and your backpack probably doesn't look like it's carrying a computer. I really don't like how backpacks designed to hold laptops look like they're holding a laptop; I don't want to walk around wearing a backpack that's advertising "expensive laptop inside!"

I have a sleeve from Waterfield Designs, and a large daypack from REI that fits both the sleeve+computer and my school books.
I second all of this. Sleeve + regular backpack is the way to go, and waterfield designs makes great sleeves. It's what I've got, and I'm very happy with it. :)

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
You can't go wrong with Crumpler products.

I have a sleeve and a backpack.
The padding and protection they offer is awesome.

I live on a scooter, come sun, wind and rain (and in Cape Town all three are hectic) and I know my pbook is well padded, protected and waterproof, even if I am not.

megsanrocks

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
I haven't actually seen these in person, but they look pretty nice:

www.heys.ca and click on epac (they sell them in the US too).

They have a seperate, side-loading laptop compartment at the back with a really thick padded base to protect it.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
What about the Timbuk2 Outtawhack Day pack? I have my eye on it for my Powerbook (then soon-to-come VaderBook). It seems to be versatile and yet keep the legendary ease of use and 'stuffability' of the Timbuk2 line.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks!!

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Dont Want to look like a nerd?

Ok so all the book bags that others have posted look like the worlds biggest nerds, sorry I dont want a square box on my back.

Check out The North Face bag Borealis , this works great for my powerbook. It is offered in 8 colors

http://www.thenorthface.com/media/gear/catalog/AMC4/AMC4-417_mag.jpg
http://www.northwestoutlet.com/images/AMC4.jpg

Front bungee system with reflective hits
Utility pocket fits a laptop and hydration system
Laminated backpanel with breathable mesh
Hydration sleeve and hose port
Tuck-away hipbelt
Small stash pocket with water-resistant zipper on front, (store an iPod)
Front pocket with organizer
Dual mesh side water bottle pockets
#10 YKK® zipper
Safe-T whistle on sternum strap

My girlfriend uses this one

http://www.thenorthface.com/media/gear/catalog/AMC2/AMC2-417_mag.jpg

Large front mesh pocket
Padded laptop sleeve
Laminated backpanel with breathable mesh
BackSaver angled front panel
Tuck-away hipbelt
Small stash pocket with water-resistant zipper on front
Front compartment with organizer
Dual mesh side water bottle pockets with reinforcement
YKK® zipper on main zipper
Reflective hits
Safe-T whistle

These paks are like the best b/c you can use them for multiple things and can carry anything that can fit inside and still be comfortable on the back.

Also get a sleeve like others are saying, sometimes you may not want a book bag on your back. Also check out http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=1409 for GREAT sleves.

http://www.booqbags.com/stores/booqbags/images/BillingSet/VXM-BLK-XXX_0003.jpg

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Are there any retail stores that sell laptop specific sleeves and bags? I wanna look at these things.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
sleeves

Apple stores have the Incase sleeves. Best buy and other stores have the ugly bulky sleeves.

merep

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2006
Eastpak!!!

Im using a macbook...im using the eastpak provider bacpack...38 litres n still compact..u can put ur macbook plus 2 physics textbook..haha..it has alot of protection 4 the laptop..n it fits it nicely..comes in various colours..n the best thing is it doesnt stand out in da crowd tellin everyone uve got a laptop..it luks jus like a normal everyday square backpack...value 4 money 2..

heres the link.. http://www.ebags.com/eastpak/provider/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=58367

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Xander562 said:
I agree. I just ordered an STM Loop in the large (17" size) because it has a lot of room and doesn't give the impression that you have a computer with you.

I have a Bitolithic sleeve for my MacBook right now, but to be honest it's not as great as I thought it was going to be. :( The color is not quite as bright and exciting as it looks on the website and the "screen protector" seems to be a piece of felt cut out with fancy trimming shears. I replaced the screen protector with one of the screensaverz from RadTech. Also, the construction of the sleeve itself leaves a bit to be expected. I'm especially disappointed with the "zipper protectors," which amount to an extension of the inner lining to beyond the zipper teeth, albeit a poorly cut and unsewn one. With sleeves like Incase and STM, you can really see the difference in quality...

I spoke with STM yesterday and they expect to have the STM Rebound and Glove sleeves (both of which seem to be much higher-quality versions of the Bitolithic) in the US by the second week of July. I'll use the Bitolithic for now, but I'm going to get one of the two STM sleeves when they're available.

Just my 2 cents...

Wow, didn't realize I went on that long about the Bitolithic...:eek: /rant

jimmychoi

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2005
The STM rebound is exactly what I'm waiting for, but in the meantime I'm trying not to scratch up the macbook too much:mad:

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
I managed to find one of the last Incase Sling Pack's in Graphite and I frickin' love it - it's small but I am to put everything in it.. plug when I turn around I don't hit people in the head like a jackass anymore hah