What's the best mattress for back problems?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by -aggie-, Jan 1, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Like the title says, what mattress would you get?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A memory foam matress. I have one and all my back issues have got alot better.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

depends on what kind of back problems you have.

I sleep on a real futon. and minimal back issues.
    if i have to sleep on a spring mattress , serious back pain the next day.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I also have to say memory foam it is like sleeping with no gravity.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When my wife and I shopped for a new mattress a few years ago, we tried out (in the store) a Tempur-Pedic mattress (memory foam). It was okay, if you're used to a spring mattress it feels weird, but more than anything I noticed it was hot - uncomfortably so.

I have a hard enough time sleeping when I'm warm, I don't need a bed that's hot as a sumo wrestler's ass crack.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That was not a visual that I needed, haha.

8. rfrankl macrumors 6502

You might want to try sleeping with a pillow under your knees or between your knees if you sleep on your side. My wife is a PT and it works.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hmm. I've only slept on one 2 or 3 times but I didn't find it to be hot and I'm always hot.

I also have no idea what a sumo wrestler's ass crack smells like. Seems to be a unique skill set for you. ;) :D

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Smells like? :eek:

11. emmawu macrumors 6502

I agree. I've had four discs removed and a memory foam mattress is heaven.

I use a Serta not Temperpedic (spelling?) because it's much cooler

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I've slept on a memory foam Tempurpedic mattress for the last 5 years. Better than anything else I've slept on.

Also, I'm in a climate where it's hot year-round. I'm not sure why one poster feels the mattress is too hot. If that were the case, I'd never have slept on it here for the last 5 years.

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

A very timely thread for me. I've been pondering getting rid of my 10 year old mattress due to back issues. I've been debating between the memory foam and the "sleep number" bed. Has anyone ever used one of those? It's the one with the air filled tubes that you can adjust. I kind of like the idea of that, since you can adjust the bed to fit your tastes.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

To me, an adjustable bed makes about as much sense as adjustable shoes. But to each his own, I suppose.

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

To me, it sounds like one of those things that sounds good in theory, but doesn't work in practice. That's why I was wondering if anyone had used one. It seems kind of like an overgrown air mattress to me.

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've stayed at hotels with them, and they seemed fine to me. I'm pretty easy to please though. However my wife always complains about them - saying that no matter what 'number' she chooses, she wakes up in pain.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Temperpedic?

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Of greater value than a mattress (not that a good one won't help) would be orthopedic pillow placement and an activity level that's going to minimize back pain. As the lower back is a neural plexus for most of the axial and the lower appendicular skeleton, you should be concerning yourself with what your legs do and ensuring you're spending enough time on and off your feet.

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ask 100 people and you will get 50 different answers. Buying a mattress is truly one of those personal tastes (like buying a specific shoe for sore feet). Back, side, or belly sleeper? Type of back problem?

Go to a mattress store and spend Aa LONG time lying on various mattresses in a position you typically sleep in (not just a few minutes - initial feel is very misleading). You would be far better served to get to the root of your back issues. 90% is muscular, often alleviated by ergonomic changes in the workplace, weight loss if overweight, a good course of physical therapy, and daily back stretches/strengthening exercises.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I sleep on a firm futon, and if you flip it every few weeks, it's great!

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and for me the opposite is true.....sleep on a futon and the next day my back is going to hurt!

22. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, one in my bedroom.

Well, I have a son with a misaligned hip bone. He has to adjust one of his shoes by placing a wedge inside to lift the lower side of the hip up, thus alleviating his back pain. The more expensive solution is orthopedic shoes, kind of an adjustable shoe...

Yes, it is an air mattress. It works wonders! I wouldn't have anything else now. For the first time in my life, I can actually lay on my back comfortably for more than a few seconds. But, I sleep mostly on my sides. (one, then the other - not simultaneously) ;) On any other bed, I wake up sore. On my sleep number, from Select Comfort, no more aching!

For couples, the ability to adjust each side of the bed separately could save the relationship! My wife sets her side at 70 and I set my side at 30. They say the average is 65. (It can be set in increments of 5 from 5 to 100.) For years, she told me that a firm mattress is best for your back. Only after getting the SN from SC did I realize that it was the best for her back!

Recently, we spent the night at her parents house, and had to take the room with two twin beds. I laid down for about 15 seconds, and knew there was no way I could sleep on that slab of marble. I spent the night in a recliner in the family room!

They advertise that the cost of a SL is about the same as a spring mattress. I don't know how they get away with that. It's not true. But, it's well worth the extra cost. They also say it will last twice as long as a spring mattress. The jury is still out on that one, in my experience.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, but once it's adjusted to his foot, does he adjust it each time he wears it? By that I mean making it larger one day and smaller the next?

If I have a mattress that works with my sleeping style, I don't need to adjust it - I want it to be that way every night.

24. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, if he's selling short that day...
    Actually, he can adjust from day to day. He has several different inserts for his shoe. That allows him to wear different pairs of shoes rather than only one pair of expensive orthopedic shoes.

If you buy an $800 mattress that you think fits you after laying on it in the store for 45 seconds, and you get home and sleep on it for a week and then decide it's either too soft or too hard...
    Then you can buy another $800 mattress and throw the first one away!

When you buy a SN bed, you start at 50 and adjust up or down until you find your sweet spot. Sure, then you don't adjust it again, but you only have to buy one.

If you get older, and maybe that's a big if in your case, your preference may change. You can go buy another new spring mattress, rolling those dice once again. If I get older, and my preference changes, I push a button.

If your mattress gets older... Well, you see where I'm going with this. ;)

Do you sleep with someone? The dual control thing is the best!

25. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Have you thought about going at it a different route and maybe looking into getting a specialty pillow?? It's a MUCH cheaper option and may provide you the same benefit as a new mattress.