Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertBoyle123

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
Wokingham, UK
I'm new to plex but i'm sure you all can answer my simple questions.

I loaded some media to plex by having it scan a couple of hard drives. All seems OK.

How do i get it to show RottenTomatoes ratings? (Or can it, i swore i saw screenshots showing it).

The files have multiple audios but it always defaults to AAC audio and won't allow me to change to Dolby DIgital. Why? (There was a setting in plex to use "dolby digital" or something like that, I checked it but still can't get 5.1 audio selected).

All for now.

I had the same problem. Just updated the Plex server software to Version 2.4.23 and this seems to have fixed the issue.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Subtitles are suppose to be downloaded automatically I have it set to
But is now working when I add a movie
Is not fetching the subtitles from open subtitles site

Anybody else have this problem ?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I just wish Plex allowed adjustments to the default sorting. When I go to Movies, I have to go to another menu to select Genre, which is how I prefer to sort them. I wish I could move that Genre option to the top menu along the top.

Other than that, I do like it.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
So are others experiencing stuttering periodically during movie playback? I have read others having similar issues with home sharing and pointing the finger at the streaming ability of the ATV4. It's driving me nuts when other iOS devices playback the same files just fine as does my 2011 Samsung TV with its Plex client.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I had a couple hiccups early on with playback, but everything else i've watched has been perfect. I'm running the latest Plex server public release and the aTV has been smooth for playback with unlimited set for quality. Liking it more than the PS4 and Windows 10 clients.

edit: I should add that everything i'm streaming is MKV blu-ray rips.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If I hit menu on the Apple TV twice real fast while the movie is playing , the plex app gets stuck in a loading screen

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
So are others experiencing stuttering periodically during movie playback? I have read others having similar issues with home sharing and pointing the finger at the streaming ability of the ATV4. It's driving me nuts when other iOS devices playback the same files just fine as does my 2011 Samsung TV with its Plex client.

I am. But the exact same problems occur when I switch to the Computers app and try to watch the movie via Home Sharing.

Looks pretty clearly to be a caching bug in the tvos.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I am. But the exact same problems occur when I switch to the Computers app and try to watch the movie via Home Sharing.

Yup. Hoping for 9.1 to fix this or it goes back.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Yeah. Frustrating.

I use the ATV4 for *so* much more than just watching movies now. And I'm absolutely thrilled by all that new capability. But now, watching movies/tv I own, it's primary purpose in my eyes, makes me want to throw it across the room.

I've even tried making sure the Mac acting as the server can't go to sleep while watching a movie (which shouldn't be necessary), but that had no effect.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009

Sounds like network issue.
Are you on wireless or wired with AppleTV 4?

Also, what type of file are you trying to playback - bitrate etc. ?

Last edited:

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Sounds like network issue.
Are you on wireless or wired with AppleTV 4?

Also, what type of file are you trying to playback - bitrate etc. ?

Not a network issue. Not a file issue. You can attempt to play the identical file under identical conditions, and the symptom occurs only on the ATV4 (and identically whether you're using Plex or Home Sharing to view the file). All variables except ATV1/2/3 vs ATV4 have been ruled out by the folks experiencing the issues. The ATV4 is simply not attempting to pre-load the whole file.

More details here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g-movies-from-mac-mini.1933905/#post-22224566

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Unless it's a defect, there's got to be something else going on. I don't have that problem, so it seems like a config issue or something.

This may have been addressed, but is it happening if you use Plex to stream from the computer instead of Apple's built-in app?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Plex is the media server on a Mac mini 2.3GHz i7/16gb ram & 480gb SSD. Connected via Ethernet to the router.
Pretty much every file I play stutters on the Apple TV 4 using official Plex app or SimpleX. Tried connecting via Wireless N, AC & Ethernet with no change.

Exact same files play back perfectly on Plex on iPhones, iPads, Samsung TV & Roku.

Video files stutter during playback over Home Sharing as well on the Apple TV 4. No issues with the iPhones or iPads.

I have also tried Playback using Nastify on the Apple TV 4 which still stutters. Using nPlayer on iOS devices instead and they play back perfectly.

Lots of other people are reporting the exact same issues.

The only unique thing in the set up is the new Apple TV.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
That's bizarre. It's always crazy when some work fine and others don't (even in large numbers).

It's the video gods...

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I'm hoping it is a software issue that will be fixed soon but can't discount a possible hardware defect given some people are not experiencing these issues. Otherwise the new Apple TV appears to be performing really well so it is very frustrating.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Not a network issue. Not a file issue. You can attempt to play the identical file under identical conditions, and the symptom occurs only on the ATV4 (and identically whether you're using Plex or Home Sharing to view the file). All variables except ATV1/2/3 vs ATV4 have been ruled out by the folks experiencing the issues. The ATV4 is simply not attempting to pre-load the whole file.

More details here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g-movies-from-mac-mini.1933905/#post-22224566

I looked at other thread and a common thing seems to be that those who are using mac mini's as servers are having the problem.

Try setting up Plex on a Windows Server and see if that solves the issue. Not saying to ditch the mini but you should do this for troubleshooting purposes.

My Plex server runs flawless but I am using a Windows Server.

I have seen where some network devices don't talk to each other very well but other network devices are fine. Could be that the network code in ATV4 doesn't like the Mac Mini (or maybe even OSX) for some reason.

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
I looked at other thread and a common thing seems to be that those who are using mac mini's as servers are having the problem.

Try setting up Plex on a Windows Server and see if that solves the issue. Not saying to ditch the mini but you should do this for troubleshooting purposes.

I have seen where some network devices don't talk to each other very well but other network devices are fine. Could be that the network code in ATV4 doesn't like the Mac Mini (or maybe even OSX) for some reason.

I'm not using a Mac Mini as a server. I am using a Mac, but that's Home Sharing.

It's a bug. Not really looking for a massive workaround unless Apple decides not to fix Home Sharing.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
plex server on my computer says 0.9.12.19, and when i hit check update it says up to date

but when i go here theres a new version

https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

i have it set to update auto

should i download manually or wait for the update to show auto

edit:

so it looks like I'm using the public version 0.9.12.19 and the new version 0.9.14.1 is for paying customers with plex pass, thats messed up, shouldn't everybody get bug fixes right away even if is free ?

Last edited:

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland

Other people are having this issue with PMS running on Windows machines too. The only common factor I have seen in all of this is the new Apple TV itself.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
plex server on my computer says 0.9.12.19, and when i hit check update it says up to date

but when i go here theres a new version

https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

i have it set to update auto

should i download manually or wait for the update to show auto

edit:

so it looks like I'm using the public version 0.9.12.19 and the new version 0.9.14.1 is for paying customers with plex pass, thats messed up, shouldn't everybody get bug fixes right away even if is free ?

You would have thought. I wouldn't stress, some people thought this version fixed the issue but it doesn't.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Plex is the media server on a Mac mini 2.3GHz i7/16gb ram & 480gb SSD. Connected via Ethernet to the router.
Pretty much every file I play stutters on the Apple TV 4 using official Plex app or SimpleX. Tried connecting via Wireless N, AC & Ethernet with no change.

Exact same files play back perfectly on Plex on iPhones, iPads, Samsung TV & Roku.

Video files stutter during playback over Home Sharing as well on the Apple TV 4. No issues with the iPhones or iPads.

I have also tried Playback using Nastify on the Apple TV 4 which still stutters. Using nPlayer on iOS devices instead and they play back perfectly.

Lots of other people are reporting the exact same issues.

The only unique thing in the set up is the new Apple TV.
Take it back. You have a hardware issue. I've used wifi, though wired is default, play back mp4's via the ATV or mkv's streamed from the server. File sizes run from 8gb to almost 40. Use both Plex and Simplex (both a mess compared to my old mini + Plex Player). None of your issues.

Mine is getting close to the return date and it may very well be returned. The controls are a mess. Pause does not work well, play after a pause does not work at all, FF and FR don't work, anytime you effect any of this controls I get a loading screen forever, watched and unwatched very flaky (the server is right, the players don't reflect the server many times). It's a poor execution on both Apple and the developers' parts. Plex, Netflix and YouTube are too difficult to use for a variety of reasons. So bad the family wants the mini back, which is probably what will happen.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Take it back. You have a hardware issue. I've used wifi, though wired is default, play back mp4's via the ATV or mkv's streamed from the server. File sizes run from 8gb to almost 40. Use both Plex and Simplex (both a mess compared to my old mini + Plex Player). None of your issues.

Mine is getting close to the return date and it may very well be returned. The controls are a mess. Pause does not work well, play after a pause does not work at all, FF and FR don't work, anytime you effect any of this controls I get a loading screen forever, watched and unwatched very flaky (the server is right, the players don't reflect the server many times). It's a poor execution on both Apple and the developers' parts. Plex, Netflix and YouTube are too difficult to use for a variety of reasons. So bad the family wants the mini back, which is probably what will happen.

I spoke with Apple and have 30 days to return it for a full refund so I'm holding off to see if a software update has any impact. I seems there are both a lot of people with the streaming issue and also a lot of people without it so it may well be a possible defective batch or possibly a different supplier for one of the networking components.
There are definitely a number of issues that need addressed but this streaming issue is the only deal breaker for me at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.