Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Shut down the in car computers for all law enforcement officers in my county (then restarted them). :D

As the IT admin for my local law agencies, I was at home in my recliner when I got an email that they were having trouble with the system. So I used the built in VPN on my iPhone to connect to my firewall, then used WinAdmin to log into my server and restart the application. Then I sent a text to the office telling them the problem was fixed.

I never had to leave my chair.

markel253

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Made a phone call ... in my seat in the ballpark ... in 1987!! (Okay, it wasn't my iPhone - it was a Motorola brick!)

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Moved $$ from one of my bank accounts (by 10 min!) that my ex wife tried to get before she moved to England (on her WAY there).

Saved me about $2,000.00.

THANK YOU iPhone!!!!!

Machoo

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Coolest thing

Well seriously the iphone is awesome. Just swiping to unlock is cooler than most other phones! But at the top of my list was when my wife called me while I was at work looking for a specific file on our home computer. I couldn't communicate to her where to look. So I busted out my iphone and opened TeamViewer. I was able to remote access my home computer in a matter of seconds taking over the search. My wife watched as the mouse moved itself opening folders until badda bing I found the right one and then logged back out leaving the correct folder open for her to use. All of this was done in front of one of our IT guys here at work and even though he knew you could do it he thought it was pretty awesome seeing it in action!

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Sitting at a games shop, having a tournament, when someone at another table starts hassling a guy about having an iPhone and that they suck and have all these problems and how his Nokia N97 mini is the best phone ever (generally being a tool).

I receive a call from my wife who is having problems getting our MediaPC to play audio because I just reinstalled and didn't setup the audio drivers.

I jump off the phone, VNC through forwarded ports over 3G, fix the audio, call my wife back and get her to test and find out it is fine!

I then smugly slide my phone onto the table in front of me and say loudly enough for the aforementioned tool to hear; "Hmm, glad my iphone can VNC to a windows machine and doesn't take 5 minutes to load it's preinstalled apps!"

At this point the whole room started paying him out and laughing.

Was awesome!

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Use it is a trackpad and keyboard for my computer (Mobile Mouse Pro)

Control my DVR service from anywhere (Comcast App)

Visual Voicemail FOR FREE (suck it android)

Control my MAC desktop remotely and SEE the desktop right on my phone. (Splashtop)

Use my phone as a universal remote to control my TV, lights, surround sound, and all other UV Sensor appliances. (L5 Remote)

Edit an HD movie (iMovie)

Post this message on here :)

rk1991

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
Truly multitasked - wow we both open an app and are right where we left off but yours continues to run and uses more battery!!!

Wifi Hotspot - which I assume you pay monthly for....

Free Angry Birds - enjoy those ads and dont spend that 99 cents you saved all in one place!!!!

Actually if i am not mistaken, Wifi hotspot on Android is free which is why it sucks that the iphone does not have it built in.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Gotta say the high quality nude pictures and videos of the wife have to be my favorite. Reviewing them with the retina display is amazing.

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Control my MAC desktop remotely and SEE the desktop right on my phone. (Splashtop)

ala 'TeamViewer' for the Windows platform.

Cool? Yeah. Useful? Questionable -- thus far.

Neat being able to control a dual-monitor setup by shaking the iPhone to switch back and forth.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Gotta say the high quality nude pictures and videos of the wife have to be my favorite. Reviewing them with the retina display is amazing.

Well, then you must certainly hope that the iPad 2 has that Retina display too. What beats having a Retina display on a 9.7" screen? Oh, and not forgetting IPS so you can have WIDE viewing angles.

RogersDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2009
Logging-on to Adobe Connect Mobile, and watching; i.e., attending, a mandatory 3 hour patent law training session while sitting and drinking coffee at a location that was not my office.

DB24

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I heart Facetime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.