Whats the first thing that made you feel old?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Nov 11, 2007.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

For me, it happened today. I was looking into the band CSS(their song is featured in the iPod touch video) and really getting into their music. Then I did a little research on them and they are almost all younger than me :eek: This is probably the first band(never got into the whole Hanson thing :p) that I have liked that is younger than I am.... Really made me feel like my youth has kind of officially ended.

Helps to keep the maturity level of a 13 year old boy though :D

So what event in your life made you think "I feel old" for the first time?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Being at university at the age of 27.

There are benefits, though. ;)

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

4. mpw Guest

One, but maybe not the first.

Sitting in a coffee shop with a guy I vaguely know as we're both coffee shop regulars of roughly the same age and passing an idle 'compliment' about a young girl who walked in. Who then walks over to us and says "Hi Dad" to the guy. Same coffee shop; a girl walks in and again I note her as very presentable. I few days later she comes in again, this time it's a weekday so she's in her school uniform, didn't change that fact that she was attractive, just made me think "Should I be finding a school girl attractive?:("

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm too old to remember the first, but one that pops into my mind is when I was talking at the dinner table about some record I liked, and my 12-year-old daughter says "what's a record?"

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Had to be when I asked my niece to stop doing something, she asked why and I replied, "because I said so".

7. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

When my mind said "Stand up" and my back said "Ain't happenin'". That started when I was about 35 and I'm now 45.

8. foidulus thread starter macrumors 6502a

In two months I'm about to experience the same thing(I'm also 27). Randomly decided to quit my job and go to graduate school. This should be fun....

9. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

My wife likes to tell the story about when she went to Blockbuster looking for a copy of the movie "The Outsiders" to show to her 8th grade lit class. She couldn't find it, so she asked the young man at the counter whether they had it, he said, "Oh yeah, I think that's in our Classics section".

And of course there's our teenaged niece who refers to the radio station that plays 80's music as the "Oldies" station. :D

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The joy of arthritis in the knees will do it every time.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The moment where I realised the muscles I gained and exercised as a teenager haven't stayed that way into my 20's :eek:

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Getting reading glasses.

Trimming ear hairs.

It's fun growing old. Wisdom comes in handy.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

For me, its things like realizing how old Ill be when my daughter graduates from college...

15. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

my mother telling me she wants to be a grandmother now :eek:

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If it comes at all.

17. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Having nieces ask if we had television in the "olden days." I was in my late teens at the time.

I did respond, though, by telling them that we were so backwards back then we had to watch the moon landing on the radio....

18. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

When they made a film out of the old TV cartoon show "Scooby-Doo" and the local News team interviewed an enthusiastic 35-40 year old guy standing in line to see it.

As he glowingly recalled his memories of watching Scooby-Doo as a child, I remembered that the show had actually been the one that replaced *my* childhood cartoon favorites. I had never watched it, both because it was one of the new cartoons that weren't as good as the classics I used to watch, and because I considered myself "too old" for cartoons at that point anyway.

In short, you know your old when the mainstream media is pushing nostalgia for people who are younger than you.

19. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

ok

finding out survivor is on Season 15 now? i believe

and im only 17!

20. hogmog macrumors member

Gently jogging on the treadmill in the gym last year. Blondie, singing Heart of Glass on MTV (or whatever music channel it was). Me thinking, I remember that - not a bid song. The words coming back. Moving text on bottom of TV screen say: "Blondie, Heart of Glass, UK No 1, 1979". No, that isn't right, not over 25 years ago!:(

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

talking to my old high school cross-country team......they thought i was like 10 years older than them. instead of like 4 or 5

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Just that from experience is useful. :p

23. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Going to a Bar and feeling like your way to old to be there! LOL