What's the harshest environment your Apple Watch has been in so far?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jkel777, Jun 20, 2015.

1. jkel777 macrumors 6502

I'm considering using my Apple Watch at work. I work as a package handler at UPS in a very hot and dusty warehouse where trailers can get up to 100+ degrees Fahrenheit during the summer months. It's a fairly physical job that involves lots of lifting and machine use. I'm very apprehensive to use my Apple Watch during work just because of the heat and dust in the warehouse and trailers, as well as the amount of sweat I pour out; however I really want to track the activity of a work day for me. I have a Spigen Tough Armor that may help protect it, but I'm still fairly cautious.

So I pose the question: what's the harshest environment everyone's Apple Watch has been in so far? Doesn't have to be work-related!

2. MaulRx Suspended

It's a watch not a newborn baby bird. You really don't need to baby it. Worst thing I've done to the sport is scrap the face across Brick and not a scratch.

3. Mkuzmenko macrumors newbie

I took my daughter to swim lessons in the township aquatic center. I wore my SS WSB the whole time. The watch survived, Chloriniated kid pee and all.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

OP, you're work environment is a lot tougher than mine, but the hardest things I've put mine though are about 30 miles of running a week (and I sweat a lot) and 180 mph of wind for about 35-40 seconds at a time (freefly skydiving). Still looks like new!

5. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, but I still have that new gadget-phobia to where I'm still sort of babying it. Should subside in another month or two (hopefully).

Good to know! I'm not sure I'd ever take it swimming with me, but I've heard it can withstand it.

Intense!

The only thing I'm really concerned about are the heat and dust, like I said. I feel like there could be some bad dust buildup around the digital crown, side button, and speaker and mic holes.

Anyone know if you can just rinse the entire watch under water? I know you can do that with the digital crown, but I'm talking like full-on wash off the entire watch under a running faucet.

6. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Get apple care+, you'll feel much safer and less worried

7. Jefflilj macrumors newbie

I have worn my sport watch playing sand volleyball a few times. I just rinse it off afterward. No damage yet.

8. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Wore it at the Iguaçu Falls, in the mist and going through the cascade themselves. Not harsh per se, but it held up to the water and humidity just fine.

9. chadrodgersLFD macrumors newbie

I'm a firefighter and landscape ( hardscape) on the side. I've been in a fire (in turnout) and cut stone with a concrete saw all the while checking my notifications. Trust me when I say that these watches are very durable. I have the SGS waiting on SBSS. Also played several games of softball @short stop with no problems whatsoever

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i wear mine to work at the jail everyday. got apple care just in case. but the inmates know not to mess with my watch or the shine on my boots or else.

11. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Las vegas pool party. lots of water drinks and contact.

12. tl01 macrumors 65816

My best so far was taking it camping with my son who is a Boy Scout but we didn't really do anything particularly dangerous to the watch. Just hiking etc. It was hot and I did charge it before bed and wear it at night which was nice to be able to see the time etc while we were sleeping. We brought a huge battery back up for charging phones etc;).

13. colday, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

colday macrumors member

colday

I work as a mail processing machine mechanic, I've been wearing it every day and it still looks brand new. When my hands are inside electric panels or inside conveyors or machines I do take my Watch off and put it in a small microfiber pouch & place that in my pocket, but most of the day it is on my wrist. I did buy a bumper for it, but I've never used it, and doubt I will.

EDIT:

Prolly should add that I have the 42mm SS ML.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I was preparing dinner last night and washed out a glass and water actually splashed on my watch!

I freaked out!;)

15. GalaxyRomPadd macrumors newbie

I work at Discount tire in Indiana with 80-100 percent humidity taking tires off , dust and rust flying everywhere tire lube on the watch and so far its handling just fine no scratches or dents (knock on wood) but I do have apple care plus just in case

16. jkel777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome replies everyone! Very interesting to see what the Apple Watch can be put through.

I didn't wear mine to work today but I probably will at some point this week during a cooler day. I have the 42mm SG BSB.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

18. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

I wore mine on Saturday on the train and everyone around me was using an Android device. My watch survived that harsh environment without any harm.

19. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Could be true, but kind of hard to believe.

20. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

I wash my 42mm SS almost everyday... I work outdoors so right now its hot and sweat is a normal thing to find on my watch at the end of the day. I also have a 19month old son who seems to always have sticky hands so I've gotten smushed banana, strawberry, potatoes and all kinds of other food smeared all over my watch. A quick rinse off under the tap with the sports band and everything makes it look like new all over again... if you have a leather band make sure to take that off first.

21. Mkuzmenko macrumors newbie

Just wore mine again to the pool again today. The watch spent long moments underwater and then many splashes of pool water from my daughter and myself. Not one issue whatsoever. I did notice two things however.

1. My battery seemed to go through more power at the pool. Probably because of being further away from my phone and trying to reconnect a lot. (No wifi)

2. When I came home, I gave a good hard blow to outside of the speaker opening and it surpringly blew out a bit of water.

Everything still works perfectly.

42mm SS WSB with applecare+

22. Bromeo macrumors regular

Woodworking: Dust, vibration, and nice to be able to take a quick phone call with my phone safely tucked away.

Flying: bright sunlight, thinner air, turbulence, and it helped me make greasy smooth landings, I'm sure of it!

BBQ: wood smoke.

I clean my black sport under gentle cool water from the tap and dry with a clean microfiber towel. If it needs it I detach the bands and wipe the slots out with the edge of the cloth.

Still works and looks like new.

23. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I just took mine out to the field with the Army for two weeks. Very rough environment, with tons of dust. Did some shooting, grenade throwing and other stuff (although mostly boring). Watch survived very well. I did have a skin on it, as it already has a fair amount of scratches from me smacking my wrist on things.

I was very impressed with the durability of the watch.

24. The Doctor11, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016

The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I shower and mow the lawn with my space grey sport.... Not quite as good as some of the other stories on here lol

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k