What's the most number of exchange for retina in here?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blue604, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Blue604 macrumors regular

What's the most number of exchange (replacements) for retina in here?

I am on my 4th retina. LG, has IR issue. First 3 all samsungs, either dead pixels, backlight bleed.

I am thinking just return and wait a few months.

2. saab9573 macrumors 6502

saab9573

:confused:WTF???:confused: 4 retinas? its because of people like you that some of us are waiting up to 2 weeks to get a hand on one....???

I got my rMBP yesterday, samsung screen, no issues, no nothing.....

get a grip man! you have some sort of problem! stop looking for issues!

3. m00min macrumors 6502

Eh? You're gonna blame the OP for Apple's quality control issues? If I get any dead pixels on screens I send them back.

Way back in the day I had a top of the range Titanium PowerBook with a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen, I complained but because I was young and easily persuaded I let it go, regretted it every day I used the laptop. It got in the way all the time when using Photoshop, the thing was a menace.

4. stuaz macrumors 6502

0 returns. First one I got (Within two days of ordering after release) was perfect.

I know three other people in the same situation, where they have got perfect speciems.

Ether we are just lucky, or don't over analyse the devices with a magnifying glass.... Sometimes from reading on this forum you would think people are actually hell bent on finding a defect...:rolleyes:

And yes before you all jump on me, I understand the reasoning behind paying X thousands £/$ for a device and you expect it to be "perfect" (Which in itself is flawed as perfection, is I firmly believe different for each person. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, etc)

5. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

I've just ordered mine again, about 3 weeks after sending my 3rd one back as it had half a yellow screen. My first one was perfect in every way apart from a dead pixel, and the 2 after that were terrible.

I also wound up ordering an iPad 3rd gen again, a few months after returning 5 of them due to them being plagued with yellow tints to the left side of the screen. Hopefully the issues have been rectified somewhat after the initial demand has died down.

Cry cry, whinge whinge.

\_/ - this carecup is empty.

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you and the op wear the worlds great microscope when checking out apple, your talent are much needed working with the police in the csi unit

7. toondw macrumors 6502

4 exchanges! I don't think you will ever be happy.

I suggest you wave goodbye to apple, I'm sure they will miss you! ;)

8. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

First one. No issue of IR. i did test it. I am on LG display.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Always wondered since release. Is the dead pixel easy to spot? I would assume you'd have to look from an inch away to discern any pixel on the screen.

10. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

I agree. My first one is perfect but reading this forum makes me wonder how many people would find issues with it.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Or how many people LOOK for issues.

12. saab9573 macrumors 6502

saab9573

how do you find a dead pixel in 5.1 million pixels?

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm still wondering this. Maybe it's a lot more noticeable that I think. I don't have one yet, so no clue.

14. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Currently 4 Exchanges also, hoping this one will be here to stay! :eek:

15. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

Zero for me...first and only has been perfect near as I can tell. I'm not running tests and stuff to TRY to find issues, so as long as I don't notice it, I'm all good. And I'm extremely picky about my electronics, so getting something the first time without issue is kind of a rarity for me. Tho I'd never exchange something 4 times...they get one shot. If the replacement isn't flawless, I move on to the next thing. Apple has been better than most in my lifetime (at least of late), the only thing I've had to exchange is my iPad 3 because of some nasty backlight bleed. Other than that, my iPods, my iPad 2 and past two macbooks have been perfect.

16. Jdem2 macrumors newbie

Not looking either...

I'm still on my first rMBP, with LG display, manufactured week 26. I have had zero problems since day one with no IR, ghosting or pixel issues.

Then again, I am not searching for those issues either. Let me be clear though, there are real problems others are experiencing. I just think some of us are looking extra hard for issues with LG displays to hopefully get a Samsung instead.

Realistically, while people are not experiencing IR on the Samsung displays at nearly the rate or frequency of the LG, hasn't anybody noticed that the problems that ARE being seen on the Samsungs are substantially worse? I am sorry, but to me a dead pixel or pixels is a much more vexing and irritating problem than some IR that ultimately fades.

My point is that both displays have problems and I while the Samsungs seem to fail less frequently, they ARE failing too. I just hope people are not preemptively sending back good LG displays with the hope they wind up with a Samsung.

17. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

I had Retina Macbook Pro and returned it due to the lagginess.

It however, did not have any issues with screen and image retention.

I did a THOROUGH inspection and specifically looked for any and all issues, including screen tint, dead pixels, case creaking, image retention etc.

As should ANYONE who buys these products. As a consumer, you should be the one who demands a certain level of quality. Non-discerning consumers (like many in this thread who simply accept dead pixels or problematic screens) are the REAL problem.

18. Jdem2 macrumors newbie

Absolutely, nobody should accept less than perfect out of the box! There was actually a member on another forum who was so happy he got a Samsung display and did not have any IR that he accepted his rMBP with a small dent in the housing. He flat out said I am not taking a chance of getting a new one with a bad display just because of a small dent.

That is when you know there is an issue! It's a shame.

19. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Blah blah blah blah.

Another Apple worshipper. Blind.

Pathetic.

20. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

One thing I notice in this thread is that it is amazing how well Apple takes care of its customers. Obviously when they do a return they are losing money, but to keep their customers happy they do so and from what I have seen do it with grace. I had to call Apple yesterday about something and they person on the phone provided one of the best customer support experiences I have had that is computer related. I was very much impressed.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've had only 3 exchanged. I had computer issues and the Genius said I should exchange it instead of setting for a repair this early in the ownership.

Daily or once every 13 days? :p

22. brentsg, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm officially awaiting machine #3 and it's honestly been like pulling teeth.

Machine #1 was a Samsung panel and had physical damage to the display straight out of the box.

Processing my replacement was a bit of a mess on Apple's part so an online store manager started calling me to personally work through it.

Machine #2 was an LG panel that came straight out of the box with IR that hasn't faded (file icons on the desktop stacked vertically on the right). I have no idea how this happens but it was visible with any color background and still is.

I sent photos the the Apple manager, he called and offered to do an advance replacement, said it isn't a problem. He'd transfer me to Applecare for the case# and then he could take it from there.

He transfers me to Applecare and the guy refused to do anything the online sales manager had committed to. In fact he says "is it REALLY so bad that you can't use the machine?". Uh, no.. I can USE a $500 Dell but that's not what I bought. Seriously, after that phone call I was about ready to fill a dumpster with a Mac Pro and several iPads and iPhones. I'm actually still pretty worked up about it. I really wish I wasn't so invested in the ecosystem at this point. I can forgive some quality issues as long as they are handled properly, but when the service sucks this much I feel like a sucker for handing them my money.

Anyways, long story short (ugh too late).. I asked for a refund after being refused the replacment and the retail manager called again and had already gone over the Applecare tech's head for a case# and had an advance replacement in process.

Edit: For the record, my first Apple computers were a pair of IIe's and I've been using their products ever since. This is the first time I've ever had to replace one of their units. I'm just shocked how terribly they've handled it.

23. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I exchanged 2 times daily within the 14day period overseas in HK apple store. Then back in the states I have more stores to thin out my exchanges in NYC. I finally got one "acceptable".

24. Doggonit macrumors regular

Twice daily for 14 days?! So you've had 28 rMBPs? WHAT!? :eek: