Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I bought a watch for around 350 that had a genuine slice of meteorite for a dial. What is the most you've ever spent on a watch? Is the apple watch more then you have ever spent on a watch?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
6K - Breitling transocean

I posted a picture in the "who's got a nice watch" thread

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
The most I ever spent on a watch was around £80 in the mid 90s. Haven't owned a watch for fifteen years or so, and I don't think that's about to change. I'm surrounded by things that tell me the time, and I've zero appreciation or understanding of watches as art or jewellery.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I've got a Tag that I paid $1300 for and a Rolex Presidential that I bought 25 years ago and paid IIRC about $7k for.

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
I spent 180$ on a iPod Nano 6th Gen plus a 30$ fake LunaTik TikTok strap on eBay. I've been using it as a watch for two years now.

Before that, the most I had spent on a watch was 15$ for a Casio analog watch.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I bought a brand new genuine Rolex in the parking lot this morning for $50 and he even through in 14K gold chain. :D

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
In all seriousness the most I have ever spent is $450 on my Garmin 620. So the Sport 38mm will be $100 less unless I decide on the 42mm Sport, or the Watch, or the Edition.:eek:

Ravenous0001

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
not counting the cheap ones I had pre-high school/college
First one - $270 for a Citizen Skyhawk eco drive (lasted 13 years)
Second one/current - $150 Casio Ediface (3 years old right now)

Apple Watch... anyone think one would even last 3 years? Doubt you'd be getting a full day usage after charging the battery daily for 3 years.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
bought my first high-end watches last year
$29k+tax Patek Philippe Calatrava reference 5127
$16k+tax Breguet (Reine de Naples, actually for the lady)
Rolex GMT Master 8K plus tax
Rolex Datejust

A diamond decorated junky Dior watch for the lady - 15k plus tax
Chanel j12 with Diamond - don't remember

A few old Cartier Pantheres. ..

Last edited:

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
My first watch as an adult was a Citizen Calibre 5700 Eco-Drive my wife gave me on our wedding day. I believe it set her back around $180, 9 years ago. The second watch is my recently purchased Garmin fenix 2. I paid $349 for the heart rate monitor bundle when it was on sale at REI last month. To be fair, I funded the purchase by selling my Garmin 800 (cycling computer) for $220 and using a $100 REI gift card we had received from getting their credit card. So, only about $50 out of pocket. I would not have paid the full $450 MSRP.

I am intrigued by watches, and would definitely buy more if I had the disposable income. Though it is more of an interest in mechanical watches, not smart watches.

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
I currently have four Swiss watches...

$2k (Sinn 756)
$6k (Rolex Cellini)
$8k (Breitling Navitimer 01)
$12k (Omega Speedmaster DSOM)

Plus, I just bought a Moto 360 ;-)

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
it amazes me that people will spend on a watch what a car cost. I dont know. Id rather have a car for that much. :eek:

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
it amazes me that people will spend on a watch what a car cost. I dont know. Id rather have a car for that much. :eek:

the cars you can buy for watch prices are usually not very good cars, unless you are talking about very very special watches above $150k ;)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
$100, three times.

A big, bulky, no-name, but very light, Titanium watch in the mid '90s. Bought because I like Titanium. Bought out of a generic-product catalog in college. It had a mechanical watchface, plus two small LCDs embedded that could be set to a few different functions. (I usually left one on the date, and the other set to GMT.) The mechanical watchface stopped working a few years ago, but the LCDs still work. Kind of silly to wear it to just use the LCDs, though.

A Skagen Grenen, on sale. Sadly, I lost it a couple years ago.

A Pebble, at the early-bird Kickstarter price.

I'm not opposed to spending more. But I will spend for functionality, with a slight nod to style. I won't spend a lot for style alone. (That is generally true for anything I buy. I buy "nice" shoes, not "stylish" shoes. I buy "nice" shirts, not "stylish" shirts.) For example, had the Pebble Steel been available up front, I would have likely paid the extra for it over the regular Pebble. But I don't like it enough to pay full price for the Steel, when I already have a functioning regular Pebble.

If the Apple Watch's functionality seems worth it after it comes out, $350 wouldn't be too much for me to spend - but I won't buy the "Edition" model, no matter how much I like the look of rose gold. (Of course, one core bit of functionality to make it worth it to me is battery life. I can barely tolerate the Pebble's one week battery life - no way I'm buying a watch I have to plug in daily.)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
the cars you can buy for watch prices are usually not very good cars, unless you are talking about very very special watches above $150k ;)

Well, you've spent more on watches total than I have spent on cars total.

Your most expensive watch is only slightly less than my most expensive car - a Prius with all the bells and whistles.

Your second most expensive watch is more expensive than the first new car I ever bought. (Although I do have to agree that wasn't a very good car - it did last over 100K miles without needing major repairs, though. It was just 'basic'.)

And, of course, different people have different definitions of "very good cars". Someone who can afford a $29,000 watch would likely consider any car below $50,000 "not very good."

But if you are family of four, with a total household income of $100,000 (more than the average in the US,) spending $29,000 on a watch is not just "a luxury" - it is truly financially insane. But spending $29,000 on a car gets you a perfectly decent car.

Obviously, if you have the disposable income, it's your money, spend it on what luxuries you like! (I collect vintage computers, for crying out loud - lots of people, even here, would consider some of my purchases ridiculous.)

I consider both watches and cars to be "tools", not luxuries. So I buy the ones that meet my needs for the best price/feature ratio. (Yes, I created a spreadsheet to compare features, giving different features different 'grades' and weights before buying my most recent car.) Again, like with watches, I'll spend a little more for "style" or "luxury" factor - but not significantly more.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

Yep, and when you buy something that's very good it tends to last longer and have higher resale value when you spend 5k on a watch, even if you get a new one and sell the old one every 6 years it works out to around $25 a month to own.

In the long run, which is what really makes the most sense to count, a $5,000 watch isn't any more expensive than a bicycle.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
1100 for a Gucci. Next on my list is a Tag.

I just love watches and need one for every occasion.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I recently spent £500 ($800) on a Christopher Ward Trident Pro but if you allow for inflation, the £300 ($485) I spent on my Junghans Mega Solar eighteen years ago is probably the most the most expensive so far.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
A couple of hundred on a G-Shock. I can't imagine spending much more than that, even though there is a nice $700 one :p

Redenkeew

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
NYC
bought my first high-end watches last year
$29k+tax Patek Philippe Calatrava reference 5127
$16k+tax Breguet (Reine de Naples, actually for the lady)
Rolex GMT Master 8K plus tax
Rolex Datejust

A diamond decorated junky Dior watch for the lady - 15k plus tax
Chanel j12 with Diamond - don't remember

A few old Cartier Pantheres. ..

Chanel J12 :cool:

Your taste in watch is amazing. Even for the lady haha. *thumps-up*

----------

It's really depend on how everyone justify their purchase. Everyone has his own way to justifying his money. I don't like car and watches that much personally, but I dropped big bucks on other "stuff" that many people might think "unnecessary". Don't be amazed, just understand that "to each his own" lol :)

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

Never bought a watch for myself but might of had a plastic one for a few days as a kid. I do plan on getting the watch to develop for but I am still on the fence if ill wear it haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.