What's the point of 3GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobilehavoc, Sep 17, 2016.

1. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Coming from an iPhone 6S to a iPhone 7 Plus. One of the things I was looking forward to was the extra gig of RAM (6S has 2GB) as on the 6S stuff would close/be killed really frequently in the background. Most likely this is the apps I'm using and my use case but it was driving me insane. So been using the iPhone 7 Plus with the 3GB of RAM and honest to god I barely notice any difference. There is some difference to be sure but it's really minor.

Given this is a 50% bump in capacity and the most on any iPhone I was hoping for crazy fast app switching and not having to wait for stuff to reload - that isn't the case. If this is the experience on a iPhone 7 Plus I really feel sorry for people on iPhones with 1GB of RAM like the iPhone 6

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

App switching speed doesn't really correlate to RAM. More RAM means more apps can stay open longer in the background, so they aren't having to completely reload all the time. Switching from open app to open app has nothing to do with RAM, that is processor/animations/GPU related.

3. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

So how often do your apps reload on the 7 plus? Just as frequent as the 6?

4. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I imagine you will see some difference in terms of multitasking. But these phones are so, so fast.. I don't think it will be noticeable, really.

The extra gig of ram is helps with the higher resolution screen of the plus, as well as the dual cameras.

5. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Yeah I meant the number of apps that stay open which if they're open means you switch faster.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    You're joking right?

The difference between Twitter or Facebook having to reload from being suspended vs if they remain open is several seconds even on the 7 plus. Doesn't sound like a lot but it's irritating because it happens so often.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Try loading several Safari pages and then go to another app, then back to Safari. The extra gig of RAM will make a noticeable difference in how fast the Safari tabs reload, should be instantaneous. Also helps with the cameras. You aren' actually complaining about an extra gig of RAM, are you?

7. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

6S - it's a little less frequent but not by as much as I would expect. Remember this has 1GB of extra RAM the 6S doesn't have so unless the apps I'm opening are using all of that single handedly I was hoping it would keep maybe 3-4 additional apps open

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

If the ram holds the app in memory, then it opens faster. This has everything to do with ram. Look at the 6 to the 6s, big difference. Look at what poor ram management does, aka Samsung devices.

Again, I don't thin the difference between the 7 and plus will be that noticeable.

9. Animalk macrumors 6502

The more RAM the less likely they will switch back to an app that had to reduce its memory footprint or was force unloaded from RAM due to memory warnings received from OS after having loaded other apps. If someone switches back to an app that has received a memory warning the transition is very likely to be slower.

10. Mansu944 Suspended

You're exactly right about the camera. Apple wouldn't add the ram just to keep safari pages open. It's going to be needed when the camera software gets updated.

11. hellopupy macrumors regular

hellopupy

More ram is for longer app sustenance. I prefer it for the work that I do, its nice to have email, chats, and other apps open and ready to go when you need it most.

12. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I said it wouldn't be that noticeable. This likely applies to the average user. I didn't say there would be a difference. That's like saying there isn't a difference between 8 and 16 gigs on a desktop. You won't always notice, but it's there.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

If you re-read the OP. It sounds like the OP is talking about the switching speed between apps, which would be the animation. I clearly stated in my post that this is not effected by amount of RAM, but the amount of apps thats can stay open in the background will increase with increased RAM. Not sure how both of you missed that.

"More RAM means more apps can stay open longer in the background, so they aren't having to completely reload all the time."

----
    Edit: I misread the post. I went back and re-read it and I missed a couple of words. But my point still stands that I already stated that it holds more apps.

14. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

The extra GB of ram is great. I just went back to the last 8 apps I opened and not one had to reload.

15. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Typically, what sort of apps do you have open?

16. Animalk macrumors 6502

Animations happen on the app's main thread which is also the thread the app bundle is loaded on. The animations are affected.

17. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

So bottom line, you feel the app reloading is just as frequent as the 6S?

Reason I am asking is that I am deciding between the 7 or 7 plus

18. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

In this instance it it was:

Tumblr
    Pokémon Go
    Tweetbot
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Safari
    Settings
    And Tapatalk

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try Going back to an iPhone 4s then with half a GB :D

20. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Thanks dude for the feedback. But the reloading happens eventually right?

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The iPhone 7+ has more ram because of the photo processing that is done by both cameras.

22. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Yeah, with the more apps you open eventually some will reload.

23. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Reloading was a major gripe of mine until the 6s Plus. 2GB of RAM cured it for me. I'm sure when I get my 7 Plus it will be even better.

24. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

25. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

What's the point of 3GB of RAM?

A good question. Not for a long time ago i remember people mocking samsung alot adding 2-3gb ram to their phones. "Apple does it better, ios is optimized..." and other ********.

So why 3gb ram when everything is so perfect with max 1gb? Like air was so perfect before air2 was released with 2gb.

Now it seems to be that ram is needed, because apple is adding it more... finally. And i thought everything is optimized already and safari is snappier than ever.

It has been quite amusing to follow these ram topics and how all works better now.