What's the point of 3GB of RAM?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Next year iOS is getting split screen app multitasking. So it only makes sense that the iPhone 7/7S/8 Plus have 3GB of ram.
Mark it your books people.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
I'm coming from a 6 and the app reloading was really frustrating. I didn't realize how bad it was until I wen't pack to it after using my 7 for a couple days.
[doublepost=1474193301][/doublepost]
Next year iOS is getting split screen app multitasking. So it only makes sense that the iPhone 7/7S/8 Plus have 3GB of ram.
Mark it your books people.
Doesn't it do this already? Perhaps it was a JB feature I had on my iPhone 6 running 8.3. Split screen multi-tasking on a phone is dumb. Not enough real estate to do either task well. Especially with recent iOS changes ballooning UI elements up in size.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City

A good question. Not for a long time ago i remember people mocking samsung alot adding 2-3gb ram to their phones. "Apple does it better, ios is optimized..." and other ********.

So why 3gb ram when everything is so perfect with max 1gb? Like air was so perfect before air2 was released with 2gb.

Now it seems to be that ram is needed, because apple is adding it more... finally. And i thought everything is optimized already and safari is snappier than ever.

It has been quite amusing to follow these ram topics and how all works better now.
I think iPhones didn't need more ram until the iPhone 6 (needed more ram and didn't get it) so it has been added after that to account for new features and to keep things smooth.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
So maybe it's just the apps I'm using that are memory hogs or my phone is just running other stuff in the background that's forcing apps to be closed. I have no clue all I'm saying is sometimes I'll switch between Hangouts, Twitter, Facebook and Inbox. I'll go to the home screen and let's say pause to watch TV or get distracted by family then boom all of those reload. Makes no sense whatsoever. Then sometimes same actions and they stay in memory.

It's incredibly unreliable and inconsistent. iPhone 6S was pretty bad too so must be something with my apps or background apps is what I'm thinking. Is there any iOS utility that would show process memory usage without jailbreaking? If I can find out what's sucking things up I can fix it but not sure I can.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Why the **** are my Safari tabs still reloading on my 7+ with this magical 3GB of ram?

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I've had my 6+ for two years and it has been fine on 1gb, but with RAM, the more the better. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better my 7+ will be with 3gb.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I'm coming from a 6 and the app reloading was really frustrating. I didn't realize how bad it was until I wen't pack to it after using my 7 for a couple days.
[doublepost=1474193301][/doublepost]
Doesn't it do this already? Perhaps it was a JB feature I had on my iPhone 6 running 8.3. Split screen multi-tasking on a phone is dumb. Not enough real estate to do either task well. Especially with recent iOS changes ballooning UI elements up in size.
Note 7 and the S7 has had it for a few years. Android N has it baked in now. While I don't believe it would work on the 4.7" due to screen size but I see it working on a 5.5" display. I really like how split screen works on my iPad Air 2 so I prefer Apple approach vs Android/Samsung.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
So been using the iPhone 7 Plus with the 3GB of RAM and honest to god I barely notice any difference.
It's one reason I held on to my 6S Plus until I confirmed the 7 had enough uuumph but sadly it doesn't. Sold two 7 Plus's today quickly for couple hundred profit, will hold out for next year's model.

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
The amount of RAM will make a difference on app reload ... to a point. Remember that apps are automatically culled when they've been unused for more than a couple of minutes. Doesn't matter how much RAM the device has. The extra RAM will have the side-effect of letting you have more heavy-hitting apps that you're constantly switching between open at the same time, but it won't help a ton if you leave the apps sit for several minutes before going back to them.

Where it really helps is for apps that demand large amounts of RAM to do their job: think camera and burst mode, etc.

And all of this is exactly why Apple doesn't give publicly announce specs on RAM, because it gives people a skewed perspective on how things might work.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
So maybe it's just the apps I'm using that are memory hogs or my phone is just running other stuff in the background that's forcing apps to be closed. I have no clue all I'm saying is sometimes I'll switch between Hangouts, Twitter, Facebook and Inbox. I'll go to the home screen and let's say pause to watch TV or get distracted by family then boom all of those reload. Makes no sense whatsoever. Then sometimes same actions and they stay in memory.

It's incredibly unreliable and inconsistent. iPhone 6S was pretty bad too so must be something with my apps or background apps is what I'm thinking. Is there any iOS utility that would show process memory usage without jailbreaking? If I can find out what's sucking things up I can fix it but not sure I can.
You're hitting the limitation of iOS as it's implemented to optimize more to extend battery life at the expense of usability. With very few exceptions apps get suspended when switched to the background then killed from memory after being idle for 3 minutes so when you switch back it has to reload. To avoid reloading you have to switch back before 3 minutes background idle. Older iOS versions had longer background idle time before being killed with iOS 5 and 6 at 10 minutes vs 3 minutes for iOS 7+. Where more DRAM helps is being able to switch between more apps without reloading under 3 minute background idle.

Last edited:

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
I believe iOS 10 is more aggressive with ram management as a whole. I've noticed it since Developer Beta 1 in June. I was hoping it would go back to how it was with iOS 9 but it hasn't.
On iOS 9, browser tabs stayed without refreshing longer and so did some other apps.

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Note 7 and the S7 has had it for a few years. Android N has it baked in now. While I don't believe it would work on the 4.7" due to screen size but I see it working on a 5.5" display. I really like how split screen works on my iPad Air 2 so I prefer Apple approach vs Android/Samsung.
Why would you prefer the limited iOS approach with only one active app in split view and no background multitasking? With Touchwiz Android from 2012 you can have two split screen apps, twitch.tv PiP video, movie PiP video and background media and file servers all actively running. With 2016 Touchwiz you can add two more split screen apps to that list.

2012 Touchwiz Android

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Why would you prefer the limited iOS approach with only one active app in split view and no background multitasking? With Touchwiz Android from 2012 you can have two split screen apps, twitch.tv PiP video, movie PiP video and background media and file servers all actively running. With 2016 Touchwiz you can add two more split screen apps to that list.

2012 Touchwiz Android
Split view (Split screen or 2 apps at once) is like Samsung version. I watch YouTube and surf the net at the same time on my iPad Air 2. Or use Safari and Chrome said by side

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Split view (Split screen or 2 apps at once) is like Samsung version. I watch YouTube and surf the net at the same time on my iPad Air 2. Or use Safari and Chrome said by side
Youtube app or in browser?

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
The next iPhone will most likely utilize it much more than this years iteration. It seems the phones hardware is a little ahead of the software available at the moment for it

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
Coming from an iPhone 6S to a iPhone 7 Plus. One of the things I was looking forward to was the extra gig of RAM (6S has 2GB) as on the 6S stuff would close/be killed really frequently in the background. Most likely this is the apps I'm using and my use case but it was driving me insane. So been using the iPhone 7 Plus with the 3GB of RAM and honest to god I barely notice any difference. There is some difference to be sure but it's really minor.

Given this is a 50% bump in capacity and the most on any iPhone I was hoping for crazy fast app switching and not having to wait for stuff to reload - that isn't the case. If this is the experience on a iPhone 7 Plus I really feel sorry for people on iPhones with 1GB of RAM like the iPhone 6
The main point is: next year iphone will have 3gb of ram! 7S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

A good question. Not for a long time ago i remember people mocking samsung alot adding 2-3gb ram to their phones. "Apple does it better, ios is optimized..." and other ********.

So why 3gb ram when everything is so perfect with max 1gb? Like air was so perfect before air2 was released with 2gb.

Now it seems to be that ram is needed, because apple is adding it more... finally. And i thought everything is optimized already and safari is snappier than ever.

It has been quite amusing to follow these ram topics and how all works better now.

Not as if there's been a major OS revision or anything since then. Oh wait, yes there has and 2GB is still perfectly adequate for it to run on. Do you honestly believe Apple would be so stupid to release both a brand new device with 2GB of RAM and a brand new iOS version at the exact same time, if that device couldn't handle it?

People are whingy knee-jerk reactionists as it is, they don't want to invite trouble in by laying down a red carpet and offering a free bar. Of course 2GB is still enough. Hell im still on my 6+ at the moment and I don't find the 1GB to be a drastic issue. Oh no, sometimes I need to wait a couple of seconds on a reload, I'm not quite yet so close to death that a couple of seconds here and there is going to be cause for concern ;)

.... Next year though, well it'll be a lot slower and I'll be a year closer to death. Might be an issue by then if I were keeping it :D

stlredbird

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
I dont have my 7+ yet but the 4GB on my 12.9 is awesome. 1: apps i use that layers like procreate take advantage of the extra ram in a big way, 2: app reload is rarely an issue. I was playing xcom and hadnt played it in several days while also using several apps in the interim, and when i went back to it it was right where i left off, no reloading to title screen.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I dont have my 7+ yet but the 4GB on my 12.9 is awesome. 1: apps i use that layers like procreate take advantage of the extra ram in a big way, 2: app reload is rarely an issue. I was playing xcom and hadnt played it in several days while also using several apps in the interim, and when i went back to it it was right where i left off, no reloading to title screen.
Maybe with the iPad Pro they have less aggressive memory management and allow it to keep stuff in memory. I understand why they are aggressive on phones - for the battery life and all but it's frustrating none the less

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
The one thing that I haven't seen addressed is if iOS even allows all the ram to be utilized. So it has 3gb of ram. Neat. But, does iOS allow you to fill all that ram with suspended apps or tabs or whatever? Seems unlikely to me.

You could have 32gb of ram but if Safari isn't allowed to utilize all of it, whats the point? It may be likely that the extra ram is specifically for the camera modules and nothing more. If thats the case, the difference between the two devices is likely very minimal.

I'd like to talk to a developer about it and see if it is indeed possible to use all the ram. What happens if there are several gigabytes worth of data suspended in ram and then the camera needs it? How does iOS decide what gets terminated? First come first served?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
I noticed a much bigger difference when going from 1GB to 2GB (6+ to 6s+) than I have so far going from 2GB to 3GB (6s+ to 7+). The sweet spot for iOS right now just seems to be 2GB, but it won't always stay that way of course.