Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
If you can just buy the show for another dollar and have it forever? I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't just spring for the extra buck. Maybe if it was 99 cent movie rentals I'd go for it because that would actually be a great value. But for just a little more you get to keep the show on your ipod/hd forever so why not just do that?
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way though

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It depends. You need somewhere to store all those shows. The difference between $0.99 and $1.99 is negligible but for a whole season, ~22 episodes) you're looking at the difference between $21.78 and $43.78. Then tack on the cost of storage... it can add up. For a single episode that you really like $1.99 is a great price. But for just buying a season and never watching it again, you might as well rent it. You can watch twice as much TV for the same cost.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
If you can just buy the show for another dollar and have it forever? I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't just spring for the extra buck. Maybe if it was 99 cent movie rentals I'd go for it because that would actually be a great value. But for just a little more you get to keep the show on your ipod/hd forever so why not just do that?
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way though

Apparntely Amazon announced the same day apple anmounced the $.99 rental that they will be offering $.99 cents purchases on tv shows. That's a slap in apples face.

Thanks
AE

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I still don't get the concept of 99 cents TV shows rental. Has anyone not heard of antenna? Why would I pay shows I can watch on TV for free? If I can watch like Dexter or other premium channel shows I can see but fox and abc?

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Personally while I love to look across my vast library of ITMS TV shows, the reality is 99% of them get watched once and then never get viewed again.

I like the idea of the .99 rental. I DVR most of the shows I really want to watch but every now and then I miss one or it gets cut off or whatever.

For a buck, Ill pay to go back and catch up on it.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Apparntely Amazon announced the same day apple anmounced the $.99 rental that they will be offering $.99 cents purchases on tv shows. That's a slap in apples face.

Thanks
AE

They're only doing it temporarily. Or not. My fault.

I still don't get the concept of 99 cents TV shows rental. Has anyone not heard of antenna? Why would I pay shows I can watch on TV for free? If I can watch like Dexter or other premium channel shows I can see but fox and abc?

Some people aren't able to make a weekly commitment to a time slot. It's essentially paying Apple to DVR the show for you.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010

One of the dumbest posts I've ever seen.

1. We don't use antennas anymore. Everything is digital now.
2. They were free at that 30 minute point in time when ads were paying for the content.
3. The next time you want to watch a particular episode of your favorite TV show, are you going to turn on the TV and HOPE that it's playing?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
3 things:

1. The new Apple TV only streams the HD content, so you would actually be spending $2.99 an episode (not $1.99)
2. Some people like to only watch it once. A lot of people I know don't care to own it because...
3. Some people just want to catch up on what they might have missed the week before.

but when you realize how much your spending as a whole, renting seems like the better (cheaper) option, especially when you rent more than 1 show.

Psych Season Pass (HD) - $42
Psych Season Pass (SD) - $27
Psych Season Pass (Rent HD) - $14

I'm with you though, I personally prefer the SD version for $1.99 and I like to own the show, but Apple is just giving the other people an option as well.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
They're only doing it temporarily.

Some people aren't able to make a weekly commitment to a time slot. It's essentially paying Apple to DVR the show for you.

Where did you read that? I didn't see anything about temporarily and it should be permanent, because think about it giving someone a tv for rental or purchase is the same, in the case of the new apple tv. You can't store them on the new apple tv, and most people don't watch something over and over, but giving them the idea that it's "theirs" ie purchased will make them buy more shows, and not have to worry about storage space. I don't see myself watching many shows over unless they caught my eye enough and are worth watching again. It's just annoying to know that you can't watch it again with rental, making me think it's a waste of money.

Thanks
AE

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
What really gets me is 4.99 movie rentals. They're not even Bly-ray quality and they are almost twice as expensive as a blockbuster rental. I think they failed on the movies portion.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Well, I'll share my point of view.

First off, you need to remember that this $0.99 rental price includes HD, where actually buying HD shows costs $2.99. Bigger difference, especially for someone who only wants HD content.

Secondly, for me, I only buy shows that I know are great, shows I want to keep in my library. I do not want to buy a show I have previously not watched, with there being a chance it might not be good. I just don't want crap taking up precious storage.

This works well for me, because there are many shows I'd like to just watch instead of own, and since I don't have television, and even if I did, I wouldn't pay the $15/$20 for HBO or Showtime, where several of my favorite shows reside. So yes, I'd happily pay $0.99 for an HD pilot of a new show, to see what all the "rave" is about. Not only that, it's instant and it eliminates any need for physically leaving my house and renting a show. It's nice.

The last point; I watch shows on my Macbook, since I travel consistently. So iTunes rentals very much apply to my lifestyle.

Of course, this is just me. Many of you pay monthly for cable, therefore you have absolutely no need for this service.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
What really gets me is 4.99 movie rentals. They're not even Bly-ray quality and they are almost twice as expensive as a blockbuster rental. I think they failed on the movies portion.

$4.99 for HD movies. iTunes HD quality surpasses DVD quality and Cable provider's HD content. Just google it. It's still pricey though, I agree.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Of course, this is just me. Many of you pay monthly for cable, therefore you have absolutely no need for this service.

The interesting comparison would be the monthly cost for someone who only rents shows versus someone who has 'whatever' cable/dvr/VOD HD setup ongoing monthly.

For us, our household is on a Verizon FIOS TV plan, with Tivo HD, and a Netflix account (and can get YouTube and Amazon VOD services). Broken out, it's ~$50/month (taking out the Verizon FIOS internet $$, which is a business expense for us). That $$ is not bad for the amount of content we get (severe overkill even), and we only have a fraction of time to watch what interests us, even with a DVR.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
wow amazon lets you BUY hd episodes for 99 cents

I guess it depends on the show
some are a little more and some you cant buy at all apparently

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
For a buck, Ill pay to go back and catch up on it.
And not bother getting off the torrents. Before if I missed it on broadcast or my DVR didn't record it for some reason I didn't have a problem getting from a torrent because it's either I paid to watch the show through DirecTV or it's free OTA anyway. I'm going to skip the ads with my DVR anyway so no difference there.

Now it's so cheap and frustration free to rent why not?

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
The interesting comparison would be the monthly cost for someone who only rents shows versus someone who has 'whatever' cable/dvr/VOD HD setup ongoing monthly.

For us, our household is on a Verizon FIOS TV plan, with Tivo HD, and a Netflix account (and can get YouTube and Amazon VOD services). Broken out, it's ~$50/month (taking out the Verizon FIOS internet $$, which is a business expense for us). That $$ is not bad for the amount of content we get (severe overkill even), and we only have a fraction of time to watch what interests us, even with a DVR.

Well, let's put it to perspective.

You pay $50 a month. For the nature of assumption, let's say you follow 10 shows (quite a bit). In one year, you pay $600 for television. Now with the 4-6 month run of your 10 TV shows, in one year, you're paying anywhere between $200-$300 a year. And remember, no ads and HD quality. Not too shabby.

Of course, the only problem now are sports. When can we have $1.99 HD NFL matches on here? That'll be the day...

EDIT: Something else to remember too. By using strictly the iTunes rental system, you're virtually eliminating any waste of time that typically stems from TV. I mean, how many times do you sit down and watch pure mindless crap on television, just because you're mildly bored? That time can be spent with more productive things. Now that's a concept to think about...

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
If you can just buy the show for another dollar and have it forever?

Because I don't want it forever, but if I've spent $25 for a season of ,say, Top Chef I feel obligated to keep it. Now my wife and I get to watch it on our TV instead of a computer screen and it costs us half as much. Works for us.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
$4.99 for HD movies. iTunes HD quality surpasses DVD quality and Cable provider's HD content. Just google it. It's still pricey though, I agree.

No. HD is 1080i and Blu-Ray is 1080p. Blu-Ray is the best quality you can watch on a TV at the moment. At the moment my Blockbuster sells blu-ray rentals for $2.99. That's what's on their sign or advertise. If anything, Netflix is still the best or Redbox in my opinion. It just sucks that you're paying more for less quality.

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
What people don't understand is there is no downloading with amazon. When you buy, your account in the database gets updated to say this person owns this. So when you log in you just click it and stream anytime and as many times as you like.

Apple could do the same, but they don't. They just want to make more money on those that rented an episode and for some reason you don't finish in 48 hours you're out of luck, and have to re-rent it. It's all about money. And for movies its 24 hours to watch it before it's gone from your queue.

And for those who complain about space, there isn't anymore taken, it's already on the server. The database would get bigger, but it's not much.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
They mean they take up space on their hard drive if they download. An hour I'm hd is at least 1gb I think

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
They mean they take up space on their hard drive if they download. An hour I'm hd is at least 1gb I think

But that's not how it works. It's all done on the server side. There is no downloading except for buffering when you watch it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.