What's the point of nightstand mode if it won't stay on?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ericgtr12, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

All accounts of WatchOS 2 so far state that the watch face goes to sleep in nightstand mode while plugged into the charger. It would be nice to at least have an option to leave it on, otherwise it seems pointless.

2. flur macrumors 68000

So that you can easily see the time when you're groggy and your watch is sitting on its side.

If you were to leave the screen on all night, odds are good you wouldn't like the results.

3. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Any other clock on your nightstand stays on all night. Surely Apple could make this happen with little effort.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

6. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

It wouldn't be the first gimmick feature on the Apple Watch.

7. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

wouldnt want anything burning into the oled screen now would we.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

OLED is a type of LED and doesn't suffer burnin.

9. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Huh? I don't understand your reply. What results wouldn't I like? The alarm program I use on my iPhone stays on and shows me the time all night. The phone is being charged, so that's not an issue. And I change the brightness of the display to anything I want.

A nightstand clock should show the time all the time at whatever brightness I want. I should have to reach out and touch something if I wake up at night and just want to see the time. Anything that doesn't do this is NOT a nightstand watch/alarm.

10. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

And just what is it that would burn in? Please document your statement of "fact". Thanks.

11. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I think its a feature. I have not tried myself yet but it seems all you have to do is move the watch a little to activate the display. May not be easy to find in the dark. I like my room dark when I sleep but I would be ok with a watch face being on low.

12. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

I didn't think OLED screens suffer from image retention issues - but who knows with Apple's implementation... This could be the reason they've opted not to support permanent on.

Having said that, I'd love a permanent display when in Nightstand mode, too. So I'm hoping that this feature will become a real option in future watchOS 2 beta builds, or the final 2.0 release when it appears in a few month's time.

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

They could bounce the image around like anti-retention on TVs, other media devices (assuming retention is an issue). I expect NSM to be a good bit more useful by the time W/OS 2.0 is a production release :)

14. flur macrumors 68000

Sure, if you like nightstand mode so much that you want to see it permanently burned into your screen.

There's a reason Apple didn't design it to stay on, LOL.

15. flur macrumors 68000

Um..the time? LOL.

16. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Just like when your watch comes to life when you lift it to look at it, your watch will notice you opening your eyelids and come to life. It's actually got a very small camera embedded in it that can tell when you're looking at it...and it watches (pun intended) your every move.

17. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Please, feel free to ignore all the discussion about this and OLED above.

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

If that's the case, I'm, ummm, seriously going to have to change my night time behavior ...

19. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Let's concede, for a minute, that image burn could be a factor, are we to believe that a the clock wouldn't have the ability to move slightly in a screensaver motion?

20. flur macrumors 68000

Happy to. I have the rest of the internet, plus personal experience, to base my belief on.

21. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

That would be copying Android Wear, and Apple usually doesn't do it immediately, they wait several years to save their face ("the grapes were sour then... now they're ripe"). So, expect the proper nightstand mode in 3-4 years.

22. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It is absolutely possible for OLED to suffer from image retention, although color drift is more likely, just as it's possible for LCD/LED to have image retention.

But bear in mind although visibly similar to traditional burn in and retention, on these displays it's actually caused by physically different things.

23. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

This sums it up for me too. My guess is that it will just be a matter of time before Apple addresses it.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Does not matter to me as I would never use this feature even if they got it fixed

25. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

its a gimmick. your phone would be right next to your watch.
    why...would you reach for your watch instead of your phone.
    goes beyond me.