What's the point of nightstand mode if it won't stay on?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ericgtr12, Jun 29, 2015.

1. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yep, I just saw that. Deleted above and posted in the appropriate thread.

I am using iOS mail app on my phone to connect to Exchange. I have tried the Outlook iOS app on the phone, but I did not like it much there. I like it better on my iPad.

2. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Good points, and I know many have mentioned OLED as being an potential issue as well, although one would think it would be easy enough to have the clock move ala screensaver mode. I would be surprised if Apple hasn't already thought about all of this though, it would be nice to get their take on it.

3. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Apple may have already considered these things, and decided to implement it in such a way that minute motion activates the illumination. That doesn't seem to be an accident, as it's highlighted on their "Learn About watchOS 2" page. Using it, I can say it works extremely well, and serves as a nice addition for people who charge their Watch without a traditional stand accessory.

Again, how it currently functions isn't a bug or oversight, but here's to hoping they can add an 'always-on' option if it's not detrimental to the device itself.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Right, and I don't think an "always-on" option should even exist unless they can use a display technology that wouldn't suffer burn-in.

Once it's possible, and if it can be done while preserving battery life, I'd love it. The one complaint I have about the AW's role as a wristwatch is, I can't read it at odd angles like I can my other watches. I can be walking to work with a bag in my right hand and a coffee in my left (watch side), and to read a regular watch, I can tilt it towards me just a few degrees and look over my wrist without spilling the coffee. The AW, unfortunately, stays dark if I try the same movement.

5. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Battery life shouldn't be an issue since nightstand mode only works when plugged in, isn't that the case? Additionally, if the clock face were to move slowly and slightly, this should avoid any screen burn.

6. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Correct.

Perhaps they can incorporate the Motion wallpapers with such a feature (though they'd still need to move any static images, like clock digits). They don't work well as regular wallpapers in my testing, as they're either extremely laggy (new to the beta), or the screen goes black before the animation even gets going. Again, options.

As it stands, Apple's implementation of Nightstand Mode works flawlessly for me. I still don't think Apple was looking at it to be a full-on bedroom (or wherever you might be charging it) clock in that sense, rather more of a "Hey, here's a neat little feature for those of you charging the Watch on its side" kind of thing.

7. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

It wakes up if you tap your nightstand? Is it picking up the vibration, or does your nightstand move a little when you tap it?

8. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

If it's true, as I posted before, that this kind of screen goes bad over time, based on how much it is on, an obvious question would be "how much?".

After all, there is a huge difference between the mere minutes a watch screen would otherwise be one during an entire day and the roughly 8 hours just overnight.

My point being that while it might be nice to have Apple give us a choice, what if the watch screen would normally work well for 5 years, but using every night and on full time it was obviously worse after just 2 years?

I know a lot of people think folks will just upgrade every couple years, but I think it will be more like an ipad or moreso. Besides, you'd often still want to sell your old watch and if the screen gets bad in just a couple years, it isn't worth much.

And, anticipating the idea that this kind of screen in other devices does well for, say, 10 years of heavier use, it is also possible that Apple chose a design that is cheaper to save money because the screen normally wouldn't be used nearly as much.

I don't like some of the things Apple does to force users into limited or no choices, but it could be that there is a good reason for this. If degradation is severe, I bet most people who chose to leave the screen on would end up really ticked off later.

Now, if we just knew more about how well these screens hold up, that would be helpful.

9. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Apple need to add a very sensitive proximity sensor on next gen AW, and allow automatically turn on when watch go into night mode, and off when is not in night mode. That way, we could just wave our hand in the front when display off in night mode to turn on display temporary.

10. mostlydave macrumors regular

It wakes up if you tap the surface (nightstand) it's sitting on, I think that's better than a proximity sensor since you don't need to see or know where the watch is in the dark.

11. mostlydave macrumors regular

I'm assuming it's picking up the vibration

12. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

It's an OLED screen. Every time you turn on the display, it's getting dimmer and dimmer. You don't notice this of course.

If Nightstand Mode had the screen on for 8+ hours a night, it wouldn't do the screen any good.

Just touch your bedside cabinet and it'll come on.

13. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

This make me much more excited to try nightstand mode.

14. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You do know how hard it is for me to perfect tap on the surface in early morning in completed darkness, without either knock it off the night table or scratch my watch with table surface?
    With a clear awake mind is fine, not when I am just wait up from the dream, and simply want to know what time it is.
    I don't want to have to tap anything when I not full awake, but I also don't want anything light be on all the time in my bedroom also.

15. srshaw macrumors 6502

This feature is a complete waste of time. Why would use my watch when I have a perfectly good led clock by my bedside that I don't have to grope around in the middle of the night to switch on.

16. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

For people could sleep well with any backlight clock, night mode is probably not important.
    But not everyone could sleep with always on clock next to night stand.
    I would love a motion activate, like waving hand, time telling device for my night stand.

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Of all of the reasons there is to get an AW, this is clearly not one of them. I couldn't imagine having to smack my nightstand to see what time it is.

18. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Are you sure? I thought, over time, the output of oled pixels lessened. If certain pixels were on 24/7, they'd dim at a faster rate and so be a form of burn in.

19. windywalks macrumors 6502

Yes, it does. Google it.

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

cuz not every person on the planet is you with a led clock next to their bed

21. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This would be the first ever nightstand clock that shuts itself off. Whether or not one agrees with this functionality (or lack of) it seems disingenuous to act like it's standard and we should not question it.

22. mostlydave macrumors regular

I think the problem with your thinking here is that we're not talking about a nightstand clock. This a smartwatch with a cleverly implemented nightstand feature.

You need to think about it like the engineers that designed it, the display is off while you're wearing it except when you look at it, and that's the only time it needs to be on. Their thinking is probably that the display doesn't (or maybe can't for technical reasons) need to be on all night, only when you're looking at it.

I don't think there's a right or wrong, I personally like the way Apple have implemented it, but I fully understand the frustration of someone that wants to replace a conventional alarm clocks on all the time display.

23. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

My only question: do you really need to "smack" your night stand to wake the watch, or just tap near it like you would tap a computer keyboard?

24. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Exactly this. Light tap on the Watch, anywhere. I set my phone down next to the Watch (on microfiber rag) and the Watch illuminates. It's extremely sensitive.

25. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Good. Not that I could see it anyway without my glasses, but the people who haven't tried OS2 seem to be freaking out about possibly having to bang on the nightstand.