What's the point of nightstand mode if it won't stay on?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ericgtr12, Jun 29, 2015.

1. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Well I was using my IPad Mini on my nightstand at low brightness with a clock app I installed which stayed on.

I ended up uninstalling it realizing why bother as I'm sleeping 99.9% of the time anyway.

I bought a cheap Timex clock instead.

2. xsdeus macrumors regular

OLED can have image retention issues.

3. JacksonCraig94 macrumors regular

JacksonCraig94

I find the Nightstand feature pointless. I've never used it and never will. I've reached for my iPhone for god knows how many years to check the time so why would a tiny update on the watch switch me from checking the time on my iPhone to the watch...

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Maybe I posted this before:

"What's the point of nightstand mode if my eyes can't read anything more than four inches away?"

5. JimBanville macrumors member

I have my watch (nightstand mode=ON) mounted sideways on an Oittm stand on my nightstand. If I I knock on the top of my nightstand, the watch lights up! Try it.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Welcome to wOS 2 and 2015.:eek::D

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I felt this way about nifhtsand mode but quickly got over it when I realized I could just tap the nightstand. I very rarely wake up to check the time anyway so it was a minor inconvenience, at best, prior to realizing this was a thing (I'm new to the OS and just got a Watch starting with 3.0).

8. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

I do agree with three OP to be fair, they could have it on with the screen dimmed super low so the time is always there with minimal impact on battery charging speed.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

The same as the point in complaining about these things.

I can see the point of the OP. Nightstand only works when you have the watch on its side and charging so it should be possible to keep the display on (albeit dimmed). There are probably some other issues that prevent the watch from doing this (image burning in, decrease of the displays lifespan) or Apple did this because you sleep better without yet another light source in the bedroom.

10. macFabri macrumors member

macFabri

No. It's because Apple too, sucks a lot of times like any other company that thinks they know exactly what is better for all users in the world.

11. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

do OLED panels suffer from burn in? i suppose that is the most likely reason, but at low brightness i wouldn't have thought burn in would be an issue.

12. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

They can suffer from image retention (temporary burn-in). The best method to avoid image retention from a static image is by image shifting.

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Wonder what prompted you to search for this thread just to resurrect it and write your post.

14. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Nightstand mode, for me, is really only useful as a confirmation that my watch is charging. If the charger isn't on correctly, nightstand doesn't activate, thus alerting me to adjust the charger.

15. the caveman macrumors 6502

There is no always on because the screen being an OLED, it will get a burn in in no time. Look at all those demo samsung phones in target etc. youll see a nasty burn in because those screens are always on

16. rbreban macrumors newbie

rbreban

--- Post Merged, May 17, 2017 ---
    Ok, so my series 2 Apple Watch is always on on nightstand mode. Does that mean is defective or is it like that now?

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Something isn't right. It should disappear after a few seconds.

18. martint235 macrumors 6502

martint235

I quite like it. I'm not sad enough to take my phone to bed with me and if it was always on, it would be shining in my eyes (even the standby on the TV way past the foot of the bed can annoy me). A quick tap of the night table and I know what time it is. Admittedly, if they hadn't done it, I would have bought an alarm clock :)

19. amt139 macrumors newbie

amt139

20. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

21. iSinUp macrumors newbie

it won't samsungs always on time doesn't burn it.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They achieve this by having a slight shift in the image that is being displayed so often. Most OLED TVs have this same feature.

23. bigchief macrumors 6502a

All you have to do is tap the table the watch is setting on and the clock face comes on for 3-5 seconds.

I mean who wants to stare at a clock face all night long?

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is exactly what I do....just tap the nightstand and it comes on.