What's the safest way to clean your charging port?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darksithpro, Mar 5, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors regular

When dirt gets inside your iPhone charging port and you start having connection/charging issues what's the best/safest way to clean it? Old toothbrush, cotton swabs, or something else? Will rubbing alcohol damage the phone?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Last time mine started having problems I gently poked at it with a straightened paper clip (not a metal one!). I was soon able to "hook" a big ball of lint and it all came out in one go. Just be very gentle; you don't want to damage any of the pins.

3. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

5. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

I would think a tiny amount of Isoprop in a cotton and toothpick would do just fine, the alcohol evaporates real quick.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Most the junk in the charging port is just compressed lint and does not require alcohol. I gently use a wood toothpick!

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't necessarily know if this is a recommendation or not, but I have use compressed air which has worked for me before. And I don't mean the compressed air that you use for duster on computers. I mean compressed air coming out of the compressor with a needle point that has worked very well.

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

9. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

I've been using a thumb tack lol. Its a sharp end, but it works and hasn't caused any problems

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I typically take a post-it note and cut a strip that's a little narrower than the opening. I stick the sticky end into the port and move it around. This method will pull out loads of lint and other stuff.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Very clever. I will remember this for next time.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Toothpick (very gently) and a dust buster. Basically get stuff loose and suck it out. Seems to work alright for me.