whats this digitimes stuff rumor?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by edry.hilario, Jul 3, 2012.

1. edry.hilario, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

im sure some of you guys noticed this: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120702PD218.html?mod=3&q=APPLE

has digitimes been reliable in the past?.. it doesnt make sense to me why they would skip the back to school sales and retina display??? i want retina but how is apple gonna power it ??? .. what do you guys think
    [​IMG]

2. Jeremy M. macrumors member

October release? Seems illogical to me. What do they gain from waiting? I'm hoping for July...

3. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know.. why would apple wait that long? i mean all the components are available why neglect the imac.. also why would apple have new os with outdated hardware seems weird. another thing to note is that in the article says new imac with retina in 2012 but redesign in 2013.. really?? i highly highly doubt that apple will introduce a new screen in the same case in 2012 and to wait til 2013 to redesign it i hardly hardly doubt it. i think digitimes is full of...

4. AndyCarolan macrumors member

And looking at various retailers online here in the UK, many are either out of stock or very low right now. Cant imagine that it will remain that way for another 3-4 months. I call BS on this particular Retina story.

New iMacs and Mac Minis along with ML release around the same time as the financial report later this month

5. sukai macrumors regular

I know am not the only one that doesn't care for retina. Personally the screen is already amazing at this point. Retina on iMac perhaps in 2014? i can see a imac release this year but am really hoping it will be this month.

If in 2013 its going to be all about the pro i fear a late late 2012 imac release. a complete make over in 2014 for the imac would then happen. Not really putting much thought on this, just something thats circling in my head.

Well still hoping for this month for now. Even if it comes out in october and we have hard evidence i cannot wait any longer. Currently i have no computer and with classes starting soon its a must.

6. Overg macrumors 6502

I alo

Don't care about retina, in fact, it make the computer more pricey, it damage the performance, see the bench mark results of the Rmb.
    And I think that the October time while isn't logical probably true, as the rumours of this kind tend to be true ...

That mean that we have to wait another 3 month.
    that also mean that I don't understand what the hell is going on in Apple.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Amazon UK only has 9,2,4,2 (21.5,21.5,27,27), which does not seem normal to me, even though I don't normally look at this stuff.

8. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Could you please elaborate that?

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Apple sure is dragging their feet on timely desktop updates.

10. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Perhaps they're redesigning it to drop the optical drive and it's taking a while to get the form factor changed?

And maybe they want this redesign to be able to accept the retina displays when they're ready next year to minimize changes then?

Those are the only reasons I can think of to wait until September/October.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I see October only being the right time frame if it will include Retina. I think that is still way to early for Retina, and like others have said it's not what I'm waiting for. I would much rather see a release now with new chips, USB 3 and SSD combo as standard.
    Either that or reduce the price of the 2011 model as an interim option because I'm not paying full price for last years technology.
    I still think July is the more likely option. At least its an iMac rumour on the front page for a change!

12. sebbyRIOT macrumors member

I REALLY don't understand why people keep saying 'no, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to delay until September/October. I think it will be July'.

Well, it didn't make SENSE for Apple not to release the iMac at WWDC - all parts were available and you can't exactly say that WWDC is software only - they've released an iMac there before and this year they released the new Retina MacBook.

So when people keep saying 'it wouldn't make business sense' it gets on my nerves because Apple have already confused everyone by delaying it past WWDC.

I'm still convinced it will be a July release, I don't think Retina is necessary on an iMac.

13. Overg macrumors 6502

sure,
    most of the rumours I read on macrumors, on release dates, of most product usually very accurate.
    Also, I am sure that some of apple employee read this forum once in a while, and when they see that the tension of the "people" reach some boiling point , they release some leak...

14. sebbyRIOT macrumors member

lol

15. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Well,tension here is just close the Lava point,but Fall Imac Rumors are just what is needed to make the Volcano erupting on itself!

16. Johnf1285, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

July release.

Some form of a 2012 iMac with an i7 3770 was bench marked intentionally a few months back, along with the rMBP. The rMBP came out the time it did because of two reasons:

1. High DPI panels are available in 15" sizes
    2. Wow factor for WWDC

The reason the iMac wasn't mentioned (or Mac Mini), is because they will most likely be refreshes with 2012 hardware and feature no redesign. Not to mention that a high DPI 21.5" or 27" will really jack up the price. We won't see riMac until the entire laptop lineup has an option for it (Air retina options and 13" macbook pro retina options).

It'll be out July 25th along side the Mini and Mountain Lion.

17. Scythe5 macrumors regular

You mean like new iMacs in March, May, June, and now July, but maybe Oct? ;)

18. Atisha macrumors member

I don't know if it's just me, but why on earth would Apple struggle to make retina iMacs for 2012?

The whole point of retina is it provides high resolution on tiny screens. What are you going to get, a 27" iMac with 9000x6000 resolution? Like the hardware would even run that in the first place? Wouldn't they just make Apple retina monitors before that, for the crazy photoshop people with $7k Mac Pros designing something huge like billboards?

Just thinking about the fact that they may be delaying iMacs for retina is sort of frustrating, even though it's probably not true.

19. mcpix macrumors regular

I guess we'll know soon enough if Mountain Lion is released without a new iMac. I still think we'll see a spec bump iMac before the retina iMac.

20. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

In my opinion, the rMBP is a sort of a test product. It not only contains a new screen, it has completely new engineering, new ways of placing the motherboard and other components, new fan designs and new "philosophy" when it comes to airflow. To think that Apple applies this to an entire, or part of, already existing product line only 4-5 months after the first implementation is somewhat absurd - because the rMBP is not flawless.

If Apple wants to implement retina just for the sake of retina, they would have just made it work with the existing MBP case, either as standard, BTO or a new retina line - where SSD and other things aren't standard. If you look at it this way, Apple is rather pushing ground breaking engineering more than "just retina".

21. hahnchen macrumors newbie

Agree. I think the rMBP is a test product to see if it will catch. Personally I might bet that it does not do too well. The price point is super high. I liked it when Apple released updates to products at similar price points but with better hardware/software. They only succeeded at doing the latter, while the price did not stay the same.

22. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I look at a rumor like this, even though it's from ImaginaryTimes, and I figure it's probably a mortal lock that my new iMac won't be in hand until Halloween -- purely on the basis that it's the outcome I don't want, therefore it must be the truth. That is, of course, confirmation bias, but since Apple isn't doing anything logical lately with its refresh schedule, arbitrary conjecture is all we have left to work with.

I'm with you and I hope it drops this month. Credit card balance is open and ready to rock. But the emergence of this rumor, specious or otherwise, has me shaking my head in disappointment... because now I expect the delay, or even worse, the bogus 2013 speculation, to turn out correct.

23. sainsburys macrumors regular

No! No! No! Tim Cook denied that next iMac will be in 2013. So it will be in 2012. And, they will really piss me of if they will not release it with ML. It will be my first iMac, I will spend so much money for computer for the first time and I it was nervous to me to collect the money. I need new iMac now! (with ML release ;)

24. Scythe5 macrumors regular

Actually he was addressing the Mac Pro, basically stating that they were working on it for 2013. I don't think he specifically said anything about the iMac.

25. lozpop macrumors 6502

I'm still confident that Apple will release an updated iMac in July with Mountain Lion or in August, before the Back To School program.

I also still believe that we will see a Retina display on the iMac in 2013, a year from now. Not earlier.