Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Congratulations to everyone who helped solve the Great MacRumors 2009 April Fool's Day Mystery Icon Puzzle.

The "official winners" are as follows:
For identifying the rules:
Rule A: iBookG4user
Rule P: Moi un Mouton
Rule R: r.j.s
Rule I: Peace
Rule L: Moi un Mouton
Rule 1: wrc fan
Extra icon rule: richthomas

For identifying names of rules:
Rule A: Eanair
Rule P: Eraserhead
Rule R: darrenscerri
Rule I: TwinCities Dan
Rule L: TwinCities Dan
Rule 1: r.j.s

Each will be awarded a 29-day "Contest Winner" badge (i.e., for the month of April). This wasn't an announced MacRumors contest, but after seeing how much effort you all put into the challenge we decided that some recognition is deserved. The badges will appear before midnight east coast time, one badge per person.​

Honorable mention goes to:
The members who mapped the icons:
Rule A: iBookG4user
Rule P: Abstract
Rule R: r.j.s
Rule I: darrenscerri
Rule L: Moi un Mouton
Rule 1: OrangeSVTguy
The following members who made other important contributions to the team effort:
bartelby
TuffLuffJimmy
Rt&Dzine
iMpathetic
MOFS
Your reward is this post (plus the satisfaction of doing a good job).​

Thanks, everyone, and Happy April Fool's Day from MacRumors!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The forum members at pcrumors.com solved the puzzle at the same split second that our forum members did, so we went to a tie-breaker based on processors. But everyone was using Intel chips, so we went to a second tie-breaker based on alphabetical order. "Mac" comes before "PC", so the MacRumors forum members win! :D :cool:

Perhaps it wasn't fair that I stole the grand prize for myself (probably not what WildCowboy intended when he donated it), so we're going to heat it until it melts down, divide the molten liquid into equal portions, cast it into the shape of discarded Apple hockey puck mice, and split them among all members who posted in this thread. If your commemorative hockey puck paperweight mouse doesn't arrive by courier within the next 120 to 130 years, please contact MacRumors for a free replacement.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
So what were all the rules? I can't seem to find a post that lists them all.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
April Fool's Day Icons - Summary of Rules

So what were all the rules? I can't seem to find a post that lists them all.

Rule A: Avatar or no avatar (2 possible icons)

Rule P: Presence in the forums, day last active (31 possible icons, one for each day of the month)

Rule R: Remainder of post count divided by 5 (5 possible icons, for remainder 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4)

Rule I: Initial join month (12 possible icons, for January thru December)

Rule L: Letters in username (13 possible icons, for lengths 3 thru 15)

Rule 1: 7|-|1rD 1_3773|? 0]= |_|53|?|\|@|v|3 ("third letter of username" in l33t) (one possible icon for each character)

Extra Icon Rule: Posting in the Happy April Fools' Day: April 1, 2009 thread (1 icon, always :D)

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
I should get an honorable mention as well. Just spent the last 30 minutes going through these 13 pages in hopes that it still wasn't figured out. :D

Then again, I wouldn't have had anything to contribute, but it was interesting seeing you nutballs unfold the mighty riddle of Q.

It also seems that the few moments I had enjoying them will be gone, "in the next couple hours."

For shame.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I should get an honorable mention as well. Just spent the last 30 minutes going through these 13 pages in hopes that it still wasn't figured out. :D

Then again, I wouldn't have had anything to contribute, but it was interesting seeing you nutballs unfold the mighty riddle of Q.

It also seems that the few moments I had enjoying them will be gone, "in the next couple hours."

For shame.

Take a screenshot and enjoy them forever :D

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have been pretty busy this past several days so didn't really get to participate in the guessing and working-out of the answers to this intriguing puzzle, but it was sure fun catching up here-and-there! First thing I did this evening when I got online was to come to MR to check out this thread to see what progress had been made on figuring out the puzzle. Wow, you guys are terrific! Doctor Q and his cohorts sure came up with a challenging puzzle and you met that challenge -- congratulations!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Credit for the wacky APRIL1 rules goes to WildCowboy. It's great to have such fiendish people planning your recreation, isn't it? :rolleyes: I helped by testing the implementation of the rules, with Knox having done the heavy lifting on the scripting. In hindsight, testing was probably not the best job to assign to me since I'm not good with colors (I was absent that day in school), so I checked the icons by their filenames instead of by what they looked like. :eek:

Without the April Fool's Day icons, this thread looks strangely sparse. I was used to seeing all those decorations, I guess. But the many new Contest Winner badges
contest_winner.png
certainly look cool. :cool:

Just out of curiosity, what letter/number/symbol was required to get the United States as a flag?
The answer is !!

That sentence looks like I omitted a word, but that's actually the answer: the exclamation mark character.

Kudos to cr2sh for the clever new avatar:
cr2sh.gif

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places

ahh thank you.
Each will be awarded a 29-day "Contest Winner" badge (i.e., for the month of April). This wasn't an announced MacRumors contest, but after seeing how much effort you all put into the challenge we decided that some recognition is deserved. The badges will appear before midnight east coast time, one badge per person.[/indent]
So how often do these official contests happen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.