What's with all the hate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlvinNguyen, Jul 1, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure why so many people feels like hating on the rMBP. If you don't like it, don't buy it - simple enough.

You can point out all the cons you want, but this is the best, thinnest macbook ever created for professional use. And yes, I use it professionally without a glitch. I travel with tons of gear on a regular basis and I've been waiting for a fast, compact notebook for years.

I'm not sure why people are complaining when a similar spec non-retina MBP would cost even more. And the previous generation was similarly price when built with anti-glare and hi res screen (but without the SSD). In fact, I paid $3k for the last professional notebook (17" Late 2011 MBP) which is bigger and slower.

I'm sure I'll get a ton of thumbs down for this but honestly, what do people expect? You won't understand the need for value of this notebook until you're traveling regularly and need a professional notebook - It's a dream for those of us who do.

2. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

3. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't - just simply putting it out there for discussion after reading the front page thread about AandTech review.

4. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Folks are probably just bitter that Apple somehow didn't release the perfect laptop of their dreams. Or try want it and can't afford it so they grumble. Or their trolls. Or maybe they're legitimately concerned that laptops will trend to reduced repairability (but those folks need to recognize that this is the trade off for the slim form factor and, on that note, I wonder how long they've been using Apple laptops anyway).

In any case, it's an internet forum and it seems like there's always someone who feels a need to rage their opinion as if it is a life or death matter.

5. Slivortal macrumors 6502

People in general are more vocal about their dissatisfaction than their satisfaction - classic response bias.

6. notyourattorney macrumors newbie

You mean the opposite, right?

7. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

It's garbage. I'm holding out for telepathic control and infinite battery life. Until then stop wasting my time Apple!

8. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Yeah, my bad . :D

Fix'd

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Likewise, if you want it, buy it, and ignore what other people think.

10. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said, I just simply want to bring this topic up for discussion. The AandTech review brought a lot of people out in droves saying his the rMBP isn't adequate. Except most of them have never even used it. In every day use I haven't seen how it effects my professional work. I open and edit multiple D800 image files in cs6 while having iTunes, chrome, bridge, and Indesign open with zero lag.

11. aviddk macrumors regular

You should read the AnandTech review http://http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/1, he actually loves the rMbP. Here is part of his Final Thoughts section.

12. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Love your last name by the way. :D That's my maiden.

I agree with pp who said that people are move vocal about their dissatisfaction.
    Out of 10 negative reports you'll hear 1 good report is how I see it. :D

I love my rMBP and bypass most negative comments. :p

13. jeffg819 macrumors regular

I can't recall where I saw/heard of this study but it basically said people think it makes them look smarter to be negative and to shoot down new ideas in the context of a business meeting. Of course, sometimes it’s a good idea to do so because the "new" is inferior to the "current", but the fact that it's seen as a mark of intelligence to behave as such probably is at the root of some of the "hate" in the forum.

Add to that the feeling among some that Apple customers are just sheep, and the "hate" becomes an even more understandable -- albeit unhelpful in many cases -- response.

I look for interesting perspectives in the "hate" and then decide for myself once I've had the chance to use the product under discussion.

Of course, when it comes to Apple, they've earned the benefit of my doubt since I started using their products in 2004, and I normally buy and return later if the haters turn out to be right. To date, that's not happened, but I'm sure someday it might.

14. stevelam macrumors 65816

i'm curious, how are you using indesign at all? in my testing i've found it to be rendering fonts with very noticable jagginess/pixelation.

also for photoshop, zoom levels are completely off-kilter due to the fact photoshop gets confused by the retina scaling.

i'd love to use the RMBP for digital design work, but with no dates on updated adobe software, its hard to take a leap right now, especially considering all the reported lag issues with just general OS UI usage.

15. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

With every release of a new Apple device MacRumors experiences a huge Deja-Vu...
    It is, and will always be the same.

16. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You're right, they can. So let them at it and don't be concerned if you enjoy your purchase.

17. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

People like to rationalize their decision, so they bitch about it if they didn't buy it, and they make new threads bitching about people bitching about it if they did buy it.

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

You don't even really need to travel much. I intend mine as a desktop replacement and a notebook I can use while sitting watching TV with the missus. The 'travel' involved is less than twenty feet each way, but the critical part is being able to do it.

19. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I wish more people hate rMBP. I couldn't care less what they'll end up with, but those 3-4 shipping delays are annoying to say the least.

20. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Most that hate on it will do so because either they want to troll or because they can't afford it. It's certainly got some negative to it that are valid points. It's certainly not my cup of tea but I can't afford it anyways so that's a moot point. It's a bleeding edge notebook that's pushing the edge. It's going to have some downsides and growing pains. If people want to hate let them, arguing just makes it worse.

21. plexusnexus macrumors newbie

Why do you care about whether or not he worries if people hate it or not? :)

22. sireShonBohn macrumors regular

I love my rMBP, it's a great computer, I just wish the GUI ran smoother. If the GUI was smooth I would call this a brilliant computer, and genuinely, the best laptop ever made. As it is it's just in the pantheon of the many great computers throughout history.

23. theBostonian Suspended

I like the form factor and better ventilation of the rMBP but I'm just concerned about the GPU not being able to drive the display/GUI in addition to a game at high settings.

That's my one quibble but I hear Mountain Lion is supposed to be to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard so I may be persuaded to get one after ML's release.

24. pacman7331 macrumors regular

pacman7331

Why are you worried that im worried that he's worried that they hate it or not? :cool:

25. mac jones macrumors 68040

They can't afford them, so they trash it.

It's not like they're broke. After all, this model is particularly pricey up front, and a huge expense.