Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Weird...

Picture 2.jpg

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm 5'11, 165 lbs. - my BMI is 23 - I fall nicely into the "normal" crowd. Hmm, possibly the first time I've ever been "normal" at anything in my life... :cool:

Oh, and I was tempted to insert a picture of myself in this thread too, but resisted the urge - I know some of you would be shocked by my restraint. :p ;)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
5'11", 170lbs.

23.7 - Normal.

I just wish that I had more muscle than stomach pudge (just a little pudge, but I dont want it to get out of control.)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
As I previously posted, my BMI is 21.3 - "normal"

However the chart on the gym wall suggests that I'm "obese" !!!!

I'd love to know what they call the really fat people :confused:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
dietcokevanilla said:
As I previously posted, my BMI is 21.3 - "normal"

However the chart on the gym wall suggests that I'm "obese" !!!!

I'd love to know what they call the really fat people :confused:

"Morbidly obese"? :confused: ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
miloblithe said:
I think though what people are missing is that being really heavy and in shape is not entirely as healthy as being thin and in shape, in terms of long-term viability of organs. Sure you can be solid and have low body fat, and that's obviously better than being the same weight and out of shape. But I think that in the long run a heart that has to pump blood to 180lbs instead of 160lbs is going to wear out sooner. Or kidneys. Or whatever. Sure Shaq is in shape right now, but I can't really imagine a 7' 350+lbs guy living to say, 70 (although the fact that he has access to the best of all possible medical care offsets that a lot, but if he was just his size and say, an wage worker without health insurance, he'd be unlikely live as long as a 5'10" 150lbs person, on average.

It depends. Remember that quality and length of life are dependent on a lot of different factors, not just the heart. For instance, a lot of you twigs have significantly less bone mass than those of us who are heavier, putting you at a great risk of osteoperosis in old age, especially females. African Americans almost never have this issue since they have an admirably high average bone density. Weight promotes bone growth and maintainence, as do muscles.

Anyway, with a BMI of 25.0 I can skip lunch and be considered "normal". :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
On the Brink said:
Around 18.4 or so. I've (slowly) gained some weight over the past several years...before that had this li'l problem with anorexia. Lowest BMI was around 12.4. This is as an adult, not as an adolescent.

OTB

I'm glad you're gaining weight and becoming more healthy as a result, and most importantly have overcome your anorexia. Many people struggle with that for quite a long time, sometimes their whole lives.

acceber

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Sydney, Australia

I agree, it's not exactly the most accurate way to measure if somebody is overweight or not. My friend is super skinny, but actually weighs more than me cause she's inherited "heavy bones" or something odd like that.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
acceber said:

I agree, it's not exactly the most accurate way to measure if somebody is overweight or not. My friend is super skinny, but actually weighs more than me cause she's inherited "heavy bones" or something odd like that.

Keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat as well, which can skew results in some case as well if a person has a higher BMI than they might expect.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
~Shard~ said:
I'm glad you're gaining weight and becoming more healthy as a result, and most importantly have overcome your anorexia. Many people struggle with that for quite a long time, sometimes their whole lives.

Right now I'm doing pretty well, but a while back I realized that it probably wasn't a good idea to declare myself "recovered." I still have issues and such, and occasionally revert to old habits, old (non-) eating patterns, but for the most part I am the healthiest that I have been in a very long time. Even something which occurred earlier in the fall which I'd thought might set me back hasn't seemed to have done so, but in the back of my mind I am always on guard against becoming too complacent. Relapse can sneak up very quickly. Had that happen before... I've been dealing with this for many, many years and it does wax and wane in intensity.

Becoming interested in the Mac, joining and participating in MacRumors, buying my iMac and later my PB, has actually been very good for me, even though I'm on MacRumors so often that it's probably gotten to the point of obsession. LOL!

OTB

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
On the Brink said:
Becoming interested in the Mac, joining and participating in MacRumors, buying my iMac and later my PB, has actually been very good for me, even though I'm on MacRumors so often that it's probably gotten to the point of obsession. LOL!

Don't worry, I don't think you're alone on that one! :eek: ;)

Seriously though, that's really good to hear - I'm glad that the "world of Mac" and it's community have been able to help you in this aspect. Keep in mind you always have fellow members here to talk to and so forth. :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
~Shard~ said:
Don't worry, I don't think you're alone on that one! :eek: ;)

Seriously though, that's really good to hear - I'm glad that the "world of Mac" and it's community have been able to help you in this aspect. Keep in mind you always have fellow members here to talk to and so forth. :)

Thank you! :) When I first started reading the MacRumors forums I immediately felt a sense of "community" beyond the simple aspects of owning/using a Macintosh....and that's pretty cool. I registered one day and then found myself becoming even more drawn to this unique place on the web. Now the first thing I do after turning on the computer and checking my email is to hop into MacRumors....

It's nice to know that this is a place where I can express myself and be myself, where I have others with whom to interact about things going far beyond what kind of computer I'm using.... I was surprised at myself opening up a little in this thread, but at the same time I felt that it was "safe" and OK to make reference to the ED; I'm sure that there are others on MacRumors who have struggled with serious issues in their lives, and who have perhaps used an ED or some other not-always-healthy way to "cope" with those issues.... Sometimes life can be a real bitch, and as humans, we all seem to try to find ways to handle it. Unfortunately many of those ways aren't the healthiest.... Whatever. When I alluded to my ED in my post I figured that while there might be some who would say, "huh?" there would be others who would nod in understanding and acknowledgement....

Anyway, for me, being at MacRumors is definitely an experience which goes beyond the fact that I'm now a Mac user....

OTB

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
24.8 just at the edge of being overweight!?

I have very little Bodyfat, but I am far from the hulk (muscle wise) .

So does muscle weight (which does weigh more then fat), now count against you for some reason?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
840quadra said:
24.8 just at the edge of being overweight!?

I have very little Bodyfat, but I am far from the hulk (muscle wise) .

So does muscle weight (which does weigh more then fat), now count against you for some reason?

That's kind of what I was getting at with my earlier post - I go to the gym a lot and in very good shape, so I wonder if all my muscle gives me a higher number than perhaps I should have. I'm still "normal", mind you, and not overweight, but I, like you, have very little body fat as well.

Like anything else, it's just a scale - a guide. I say people should use it as a reference, not as the Bible. ;) :cool:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
If you have the time/patience to read all the previous pages, it's quite apparent that the BMI index is only one simple (and limited) tool to help people somewhat gauge their health. It is not the endall and it is not the most accurate way.

That said, muscle weighs MORE than fat.

That's why if you start exercising/working out to lose weight and you only go by your scale, at a given point you might be dismayed to find that after losing some weight, you've suddenly gained a bit. :eek: Have no fear. If your clothes are looser fitting, if you feel more fit/healthy/energetic, then the chances are that you've lost most of your fat that you can easily do and have now started building muscle mass.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
edesignuk said:
An earth shattering...18.4.

You are underweight and seem malnourished. :eek: ;)

You have the makings of a runway model. ;) :D

acceber said:

"Dense bones," yeah I have them too. :)

Lord Blackadder said:
It depends. Remember that quality and length of life are dependent on a lot of different factors, not just the heart. For instance, a lot of you twigs have significantly less bone mass than those of us who are heavier, putting you at a great risk of osteoperosis in old age, especially females. African Americans almost never have this issue since they have an admirably high average bone density. Weight promotes bone growth and maintainence, as do muscles.

Anyway, with a BMI of 25.0 I can skip lunch and be considered "normal". :rolleyes:

Riiiiiight, I suppose if a slender person were to have a rich calcium diet since young till present would not contribute to acquiring osteoporosis in they old age. :rolleyes:

It's all part of a balanced diet, people. ;) :)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Um not good

5 8
115 pounds

I havnt gained any weight in 2 1/2 years, when I have grown 3 inches (~8th grade to 1/2 through 10th). I eat alot more! But I just dont gain anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.