Whats your charging routine?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aihna, May 26, 2011.

1. aihna macrumors newbie

How often do you charge your iPad, and what percentage is it usually at when you charge? I do it every night since I run it down to about ~25%.Feel free to add in anything else about charging you want.

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

I set to charge every night no mater what percentage, be it 90% or 20%. And whatever chance I get, I plug it in to charge.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Nightly. I have it on most of the day (over roughly 12 hrs.), so I just plug it into the dock when I go to bed.

I don't pay too much attention to percentage left, but I would say it's usually above 25%. It really doesn't make much difference as far as battery life goes.

4. NewtothisMac macrumors newbie

.... I charge mine every 2 days.... Still this is the best gift I've received since the born to run box set

5. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Lithium-Polymer batteries like to be charged often. It is better to charge every night. Draining them under 10% can actually damage the batteries.

If you want your batteries to last long charge them when you can!

6. rtjstevens macrumors regular

Not quite sure about this. Apple recommend only that once a month the battery is completely discharged and recharged to 100%.

BW

Bonky

7. blarivee macrumors 6502

Not exactly true. Draining the batteries to 0 and then leaving them in that state for long periods of time damages the battery. In fact you calibrate the batteries for your MBP by draining it down to 0 and recharging it immediately. I charge when it hits 10% or below. Once in a month I drain it down to 0 and recharge to 100%.

8. Warbitrary macrumors regular

No.

Apple recommends you go through at least 1 charge cycle. 1 cycle can be 40%+60%, or 10% multiplied by 10, etc. It does not mean you should drain the battery to 0%.

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Source? Why would there be a "recommendation" to do what everyone would do regardless. I had always understood the recommendation to be to discharge to zero, leave for a few hours and then recharge.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have used my iPad 2 more and more each day as time has gone on, now that I have gotten comfortable with how it fits into my daily routine and what things I have stopped doing on my iPhone and started doing on my iPad.

I find that I get it down below 10% once every 2 or 3 days and usually let it sit on the charger over night if at all possible. It seems like letting it sit on the charger for awhile AFTER it hits 100% gets you more time on a charge.

11. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

If it is at or below 60% at night I will charge it overnight, otherwise I wait till the next day.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I tend to charge mine once it reaches 25-30%. Then I will wait till I go to bed, and let it charge all night. I have excellent battery life so I can go days without charging. Very pleased and impressed by it. Flew from LAX-Ft. Lauderdale last week, just under a 5 hour flight, watched movies the entire flight and had 73% left when I landed (started off with 98%).

13. rtjstevens macrumors regular

OK, sorry, I should have given the source. My one-liner was too brief. The extra detail (plus source -Apple themselves)...:

"Exercise Your Machine
    Lithium-ion polymer batteries need to be used for maximum performance. If you don’t use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once a month.

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity."

Source: http://www.apple.com/batteries/

I hope that is clearer...?

BW

Bonky

14. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Every night, mainly because I'm not an idiot and I'd like my battery to last longer : )

15. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

My fiancee and I charge both iPads at night, or if we don't we just charge them before we leave the house for work. It's perfect as we usually go about 1.5-2 days before charging.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Charge it as and when tbh. Don't let it run flat tho

17. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I charge every few days - or more often as needed. I usually charge when it's at about 30% or so.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

19. blarivee, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

blarivee macrumors 6502

That's how iOS counts cycle. Apple recommends once a month you calibrate the battery meter. Based on the same link, if you click the portion that says iPad, at the end of the page, it says "For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)." Link provided below.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I usually use the weekends to do the run down to zero thing. That way I know I won't get stuck on the train with a dead battery

21. Warbitrary macrumors regular

While running down the battery gives a better calibrated meter, it will accelerate the deterioration of the battery.

"One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent."

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...-is-the-best-way-to-use-an-li-ion-battery.ars

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If its above 60% before I go to sleep, then I leave it alone. If its under that, I'll charge it. A lot of times I end up forgetting to charge it at night so it charges for a good 30 minutes after I get up in the morning. That normally brings it up to 70-80% by the time I leave home.

What a very interesting thread.

23. iLucas macrumors 6502

I charge mine at night and let it run down to around 10% which takes a few days. I only use my iPad after I get off work so I charge it around 2x a week.

24. blarivee, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011

blarivee macrumors 6502

iPad uses lithium polymer not lithium ion. Besides the article says discharging to 0 all the time is detrimental. Once a month is hardly all the time. I have followed the discharge once a month guidelines for years on my Apple devices and I have yet to encounter any problems.