Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Intro

I’ve been building a list of iPad features, and am curious to see what other want from their iPads. I’m more of a power user, but some of these pertain to a better experience for many types of users.

My Situation:

I'm a log time Mac user, and IT processional. I recently bought an iPad Air 5 for my 7 year old daughter, to replace her aging MacBook Air 11" 2012 and iPad mini 4 (I've only ever given her hand-me-downs over the years, so this is her first new tech). I've been setting it up to be as much of a general computer as possible, and seeing how far I can push it in usability. She'll mostly use it for school, YouTube/streaming, music, art, and games—but since she's become interested in making videos for her little YouTube channel for fun (https://www.youtube.com/@ladybrianna5187 is anyone cares), I wanted to also teach her basic video editing on this iPad. I've bought a keyboard and trackpad combo-case for this as well, so a few of my items on my list pertain to the lackluster implementation of the trackpad.

Anyway, in the process of setting up this iPad Air, I've really found that the iPad is very lacking in software potential, features that the hardware and form factor could very easily handle, and have a running list of features I think the iPad sorely needs.

My feature wishlist:

1. User accounts. If you can do this with an old Mac that's literally a 1,000 times slower and has a smaller screen, than you can def do it with an iPad. This iPad (and the ones I manage for work) would benefit greatly from having a separate admin account. Families sharing devices would also benefit, societally those that have kids of difference ages that can have access to different levels of content. Apple is actually bringing a version of this feature in the form of device sharing via Apple Business Essentials (you log in with your iCloud account), but that is major overkill for most users, and requires a subscription.
  2. Bringing Expose-like window management, and improved window management to the iPad would be great. I've been testing Stage Manager for working in multiple apps while editing a video, and it very lacking.
  3. Move clock on the right side of the top screen area, to make it like the Mac. It's a simple and easy way for continuity with their other device. They could then add an icon on the left side to notify the users that wiping down on that side will take them to notification (they could also put alerts up on the left side, like when something is using the location services, microphone, camera, or an active call). From my experience, most users aren't aware or forget how to get to the control panel and Notification Center / Widget, and making this change could help.
  4. Add 3 finger swiping left and right on touchpad to let you move between open apps. I keep impulsively doing this, since I'm so used to it on the Mac. They could do 4 finger swipe to swatch between Stage Manager sets as well, but that's probably pushing it too far lol.
  5. Change 3 finger swipe down on a trackpad (for app overview) to swiping up, to match the Mac. This is really poor UX design on Apple's part. They inverted the gesture from the Mac, for no logical reason.
  6. Make 3 finger swipe down on a trackpad to bring you to the Home Screen
  7. I really don't think Apple will ever do this, because Apple, but unlocking Hypervisor on the M-series Apple Silicon chips would be HUGE. For those who don't know, Hypervisor is the hardware level feature that lets you virtualize other operating systems inside apps like Parallels, VMware, and UTM. The M1 and M2 that's inside in the iPad has this feature, just like the Mac, and people have used it via Jailbreaking, some know it works well. Apple doesn't like emulation for some reason, but the ability to virtualize other systems would be a great benefit for IT professionals and developers.I've been using UTM on the Mac and my iPad mini 6 for over a year now, and works great. The problem is (besides the fact that you have to side load to get UTM), you can only emulate, and it's slow (though, the M1 handles older OSes pretty well), but virtualization is blocked via a missing or locked-out framework, that requires jailbreaking to use. It's real shame, I'd happily pay Parallels for the ability to do this directly on my iPad. Right now, I have to use a remote app and/or service to remedy connect to a computer that's running other OSes
  8. Screensaver. I know they’re kind of pointless these days for saving a screen from burn-in, but having a screensaver to give you buffer room before the iPad’s screen locks and requires you to unlock it with your passcode / Face ID / finger print would be nice. Very useful when connected to a keyboard, and can double as bring the photo sideshow feature back (I’ve been using my original iPad as a digital picture frame for years, and has served well as a way to give it new life).
  9. This is more of a hardware feature, but move the front camera to the long side, for better landscape usage. This came with the iPad 10th Gen, and I’m sure they’ll fallow suit on the iPads with magnetic Apple Pencil support, once they can figure out how to fit the components all on the one side (I have a feeling this will happen with an Apple Pencil 3 with a redesigned charging coil location).
  10. Allow changing the app Dock size, and adding the ability to magnify apps while hovering over them and hiding the Dock when using a trackpad/mouse. I know this is more of a “I’m used to the Mac way”, but I think it would enhance the experience when using a keyboard and trackpad/mouse.
  11. This one is more specific app related, but bring Final Cut Pro to the iPad, or at least add more features to iMovie. FCP does a lot, so I’m sure it’s a matter of taking a long time to bring it over, or Apple just decided it isn’t worth it, but it would be great to have it. For now, I’m stuck using a combination of iMovie and 3rd party apps.
  12. Better support for iPad mini’s smaller screen. Up until now, most of the features I’ve talked about are mostly in stores by using the larger iPads, but I use my mini 6 the most, and love it for travel, and especially for car navigation (CarPlay sucks). The problem with the mini is the fact that iPadOS is designed for the large iPads, then shrunken down on the mini. This can be a usability nightmare at times, with tapping on some UI elements being difficult at times, especially when in a car.
  13. The ability to format drives. This can be as simple as a popup alerting you that you’ve connected a drive with an incompatible file system, and give you the option to format it (with possible file loss warnings), to options for report and partition (knowing Apple, it’ll would likely ever be the former).
Bonus: I’d love a good keyboard/trackpad case with a USB hub and SD card reader built-in, that can run through the Smart Connector. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen something like this in the past (may not have used the Smart Connector though), but don’t see anything for the iPad Air 5. 2 USB-C/thunderbolt ports. I’d also love to see 2 Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the iPad, even if it’s just Pros, or even just the larger Pro.

I'm sure I'll be editing this to add more stuff as I think of it, or as other people's suggestions inspire me to do so.

Overall, I know Apple wants to preserve the simple and straightforward experience of the iPad, but given all the poorly implemented advance features they’re put into it over the last few years, I get the feeling that they’re either not dedicating enough resources to the iPad, or the people in charge of it are lacking vision, motivation, or resources. Many of these more advance features can be off by default, and activated via settings, just like Stage Manager is now.

Reactions: jdb8167 and mr_jomo

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Sorry, tho valid points, this has been discussed multiple times in multiple threads, no need to start another one 😬

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Everything I want is software related, and I think Apple will get there....eventually.

Ultimately what I'm hoping for is iOS turning into a touch based MacOS, meaning it looks and feels different to account for the touch based interface, but incorporates the advanced functionality of MacOS.

Big thing I want is a fully baked MacOS file system. Although I love picking up my iPad for media consumption, I also want the ability to use it as a true laptop replacement, and I think a full baked file system is something you need.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Sorry, tho valid points, this has been discussed multiple times in multiple threads, no need to start another one 😬
Thanks! I looked over the threads. What I saw is that it’s been discussed, but all over the place. I’m kind of bring it together in a way more specific to what I’m looking for. Plus, a lot of those threads start far back, and anything relevant to today is hurried deep within the comments. I figured I’d start a fresh discussion. People are welcome to join in or ignore it.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Yeah, I think the iPad is being mostly treated as a big iPhone. That’s good for media consumption, but not good for serious work or creative use. It seems like a case of being ok at 2 things, but not great at anything.

I’m fine with staying on a Mac, but but my daughter’s generation is more comfortable with touch screens, so Apple getting the full potential from the iPad is the better long term solution for them, and the best experience for her.

I know they can’t or won’t just port macOS over, they’ll need to take the best of iOS and macOS and make it even better on the iPad. I just feel like they’re lagging, taking too long, simply don’t know how to do it, or overlooking it entirely. I have a feeling they’re more than capable of making it great, but for whatever reason they’re letting it languish and neglecting it to an extent.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Yeah, I think the iPad is being mostly treated as a big iPhone. That’s good for media consumption, but not good for serious work or creative use. It seems like a case of being ok at 2 things, but not great at anything.

I’m fine with staying on a Mac, but but my daughter’s generation is more comfortable with touch screens, so Apple getting the full potential from the iPad is the better long term solution for them, and the best experience for her.

I know they can’t or won’t just port macOS over, they’ll need to take the best of iOS and macOS and make it even better on the iPad. I just feel like they’re lagging, taking too long, simply don’t know how to do it, or overlooking it entirely. I have a feeling they’re more than capable of making it great, but for whatever reason they’re letting it languish and neglecting it to an extent.
I think Apple doesn't know how to keep both parties happy. There is a large contingent of people out there that loved Apple and iOS due to the simplicity and intuitiveness of the system, which no one can deny, and that got extended to iPAD.

Then you have this much smaller (but more vocal) contingent of users looking to push it forward, specifically iPad users in this case whose goal primary use is a full laptop replacement. They won't port over MacOS as it isn't a touch based system, so they're left increasing the functionality of iOS, and that's the problem. Not sure there is a way to offer all that advanced MacOS functionality in iOS without fundamentally changing the simplicity and intuitiveness people have grown to love, catch 22, which is why I think we are getting these watered down measures that don't really please anyone.

Reactions: Edgecrusherr

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
I mostly use iPad for consumption, but occasionally need to do some work away from my Windows desktop, and I don't want to buy a laptop, as I dislike this formfactor.

For such cases, my wishlist is: multitasking, support for custom keyboard layouts, and proper file system (not "sharing").

Lack of pro software would still prevent from doing complex things, but simple workflows without remoting into PC would become possible.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
I think Apple doesn't know how to keep both parties happy. There is a large contingent of people out there that loved Apple and iOS due to the simplicity and intuitiveness of the system, which no one can deny, and that got extended to iPAD.

Then you have this much smaller (but more vocal) contingent of users looking to push it forward, specifically iPad users in this case whose goal primary use is a full laptop replacement. They won't port over MacOS as it isn't a touch based system, so they're left increasing the functionality of iOS, and that's the problem. Not sure there is a way to offer all that advanced MacOS functionality in iOS without fundamentally changing the simplicity and intuitiveness people have grown to love, catch 22, which is why I think we are getting these watered down measures that don't really please anyone.
I think they can get most of the second group if they have progressively exposed complexity. You can turn off multitasking but they should add something in setup to provide guidance on what kind of multitasking setup you want, none, split view, stage manager (I haven't setup an iPad fresh in a long time so I have no idea if they have done this or not). Similarly other advanced features can be progressively exposed. I think the UX is the least of the problems with the iPad however.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
My General WishList:

1. Stage manager
    1. Windows grouped by stage and ability to see all windows in a stage when in multitasking switcher
    2. Ability to drag windows from stage to stage in multitasking switcher
    3. Swipe in from right (replacing old slide-over gesture) to do Expose on the current stage (no zooming out just show me all the windows in this stage)
    4. Add the show all windows button back to three dot menu
    5. Get rid of minimize - it is mostly pointless and is very fragile
    6. Windows live in one and only one place at a time
  2. Haptic Touch - long press unification and improvement
    1. Use Haptic Touch as a shortcut for long press menus
    2. Reduce delay time on haptic touch
    3. Improve menu open speed (menu's sometimes feel like they take quite a while to open)
  3. Status Bar Improvements
    1. Move clock to right
    2. Move window control and drag to below the status bar
    3. Add a label at the top left for the name of the current app - helps with multitasking understanding foreground app
    4. Swipe down on name of app in top left to get the same menu you get when you hold Command on the keyboard
    5. Add search to middle of status bar, swipe down in middle to get spotlight search
    6. Swipe down at far right on the clock for notifications
    7. Swipe down at far right on wifi/volume area to get control centre
  4. Apps and app communication
    1. Improve XPC to reduce friction
    2. Developer sandbox to allow complicated developer workflows
    3. Work with big app developers to bring full featured versions of their apps to iPad OS
    4. Improve extensions to allow for more features like plugins on desktop apps (Word on desktop can integrate with citation managers for example, this should also be the case on iPad OS)
    5. Bring more of the utility apps from macOS to iPad OS (colour picker, disk utility, etc)
  5. Format Panel
    1. Add the format panel from macOS apps to apps like pages, keynote and numbers this panel should behave similar to the sidebar in split view apps, appearing either beside or over top of the content depending on how much space is available for the content
  6. Files
    1. Let me sync all data - I never want to wait for the file to download, on macOS I can choose to turn off optimize space let me do so on iPad OS as well
    2. stability - this app is one of the least stable on the platform
  7. Virtual memory support
    1. Roll out to more iPads
  8. External display support with stage manager
    1. Roll out to more iPads
  9. External display support with split view and slideover
    1. Don't require stage manager to use an external display, let us use split view and slide-over mode with an external display
I'm sure there are more than this but those are the big ones I can think of.

Reactions: mr_jomo and JD2015

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
User accounts...
If it comes thats great, but I literally have never created a second user account on any of my Macs.
Move clock on the right side of the top screen area, to make it like the Mac.
I think its fine there because it balances the icons on the right side.
  1. Add 3 finger swiping left and right on touchpad to let you move between open apps. I keep impulsively doing this, since I'm so used to it on the Mac. They could do 4 finger swipe to swatch between Stage Manager sets as well, but that's probably pushing it too far lol.
  2. Change 3 finger swipe down on a trackpad (for app overview) to swiping up, to match the Mac. This is really poor UX design on Apple's part. They inverted the gesture from the Mac, for no logical reason.
  3. Make 3 finger swipe down on a trackpad to bring you to the Home Screen
All of this is customizable on the Mac so I think what you want is better trackpad customization on the iPad.
This is more of a hardware feature, but move the front camera to the long side, for better landscape usage.
I predict that the M3 iPad Pros will get the landscape camera and a new Pencil 3 with two smaller magnets on either side of the camera.
Allow changing the app Dock size, and adding the ability to magnify apps while hovering over them and hiding the Dock when using a trackpad/mouse. I know this is more of a “I’m used to the Mac way”, but I think it would enhance the experience when using a keyboard and trackpad/mouse.
Dock Apps already magnify when hovering with a mouse. The Dock already hides while in an app and can be shown with the mouse or keyboard. I think Apple wants consistent app icon sizes between the dock and desktop so you're not going to be able to change that, but since the dock isn't visible when in an app I don't think that is very necessary.
Bonus: I’d love a good keyboard/trackpad case with a USB hub and SD card reader built-in, that can run through the Smart Connector. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen something like this in the past (may not have used the Smart Connector though), but don’t see anything for the iPad Air 5. 2 USB-C/thunderbolt ports. I’d also love to see 2 Thunderbolt/USB-C ports on the iPad, even if it’s just Pros, or even just the larger Pro.
I think you'll need a new 4-pin Smart Connector for data and thunderbolt displays. Any keyboard case with ports is going to be a lot thicker. The Bridge case seems like a natural fit for that functionality, but they are probably waiting for the new Smart Connector.

Here's this case which gives you what you want but requires a USB-C cable for data transfer and external display.

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I love threads like this. Here’s my wishlist…

Hardware -

iPads are getting sooo close to perfect for me. The one thing I really do want is the ability to connect to my external display (in my case, a studio display) via the connector on the Magic Keyboard, which would require both an updated iPad and keyboard. I’d also like these ports on either side of the Magic Keyboard. I would probably upgrade just for the added port functionality alone.

Software -

• Stage Manager could use some refinements. First, when I click on Control Center in the upper right corner on my external display, it should slide down on that display, for the purpose of adjusting the external display’s brightness specifically, but also so that we can have quick and easy access to our controls there. As it is now, when I click on the battery/wifi icon in the upper right corner of the external display to launch CC, CC slides down on my iPad screen and only lets me adjust the iPad screen brightness, which must be a bug, right?
  • Similarly, we should be able to use the external display’s camera for FaceTime, Zoom, etc. The angle would be much better than the sideways camera on my iPad for meetings.
  • We should be able to choose an audio output when connected to external displays. I’m lucky in that my studio display’s speakers sound amazing, but not every display is like this. I really think the fact that we can’t currently choose an output is just an early-adopter bug and I hope it’ll be fixed soon.
  • The dock on the iPad needs to be able to hold many more icons, making them smaller as you add more, like on the Mac. Now that I’m fully using Stage Manager all the time, I really want to be able to add all my most-used app icons to the dock for easy access. This is especially annoying on my external display, where I’ve got a dock that’s like 1” high on the bottom of the screen, taking up all that space, that doesn’t even have all the app icons on there that I need.
  • I’d like to be able to view the media playing/control media on my other iOS/iPadOS devices, like you can with the HomePod and Apple TV. For example, if I’m listening to music via my iPhone, I’d like to be able to see that as a device in the Control Center media playback controls, with the ability to pause, skip, etc etc.
  • I’d like it if Clock app alarms and timers synced, so that an alarm/timer on one device alerts you on all your devices, and can be dismissed from anywhere - kind of like how incoming phone calls work via wifi calling.
  • I’ve always been saying that we need full app parity with the iPhone. Slowly but surely, they’re getting better with that, but some important things are still missing. Specifically, I’d like
    • a phone app for wifi calling with voicemail access/call history sync between devices;
    • a full Fitness app with workout data and a full Health app, since those are synced and stored in iCloud anyway and have been for years (give us access to our own very important data please, Apple!);
    • Actual Calculator app (cannot believe I’m still asking for this at the end of 2022, but here we are);
    • A Wallet app for seeing all the spending history stuff that you get with an Apple Card, etc.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006

Well said, that's really the issue. There's one product for 2 very different groups of users, and no easy way to make them both happy.

They could split it between the M-series SoCs (M1, M2, etc), and the A-series SoCs (Apple A14 Bionic, A15, etc). Just offer features that are exclusive to the M-series, like they did with Stage Manager.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I mostly use iPad for consumption, but occasionally need to do some work away from my Windows desktop, and I don't want to buy a laptop, as I dislike this formfactor.

For such cases, my wishlist is: multitasking, support for custom keyboard layouts, and proper file system (not "sharing").

Lack of pro software would still prevent from doing complex things, but simple workflows without remoting into PC would become possible.
Great list, thanks! The newer Files app can do a lot, like connecting to a server and external media, but it's so simple looking that I often forget it has some of those advance features lol.

Reactions: Annv

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I think they can get most of the second group if they have progressively exposed complexity. You can turn off multitasking but they should add something in setup to provide guidance on what kind of multitasking setup you want, none, split view, stage manager (I haven't setup an iPad fresh in a long time so I have no idea if they have done this or not). Similarly other advanced features can be progressively exposed. I think the UX is the least of the problems with the iPad however.
Thanks for the comments! I don't think they have anything to walk you through the features, but it would be a feature.

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
My ideas that haven’t been covered elsewhere. Some of these would be nice on the iPhone too

1. Be able to use your iPhone as a continuity camera like you can on a desktop or laptop computer now
2. Be able to batch rename your files
3. Be able to rename your photos (and also batch rename them)
4. Have a proper status of download/upload when using files
5. Better management of the System files area as I see a lot of rubbish getting stuck in there from apps that is only released by a reformat.
6. Bring back the storage available at the bottom of the files window.
7. Be able to sort photos by EXIF taken date, as I’ll be taking photos with a camera and a phone often and all the camera ones get lumped together when I import them away from the ones I’ve taken with my phone as it may be the next day I get the chance to import the camera ones
8. Two way sync with other platforms other than iCloud

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Every problem I have with the iPad Pro and iPadOS can be fixed by your point 7 (Hypervisor and Virtualization support). The M1 and M2 have hardware virtualization support but it is currently locked out at boot from what I understand so even a jailbreak wouldn't allow it. You'd have to break the secure boot and that isn't very likely. So it would have to come from Apple.

I'm in agreement that it is unlikely in the extreme that Apple will ever allow it but it would solve so many issues and everything can still be sandboxed. Apple would have to allow side-loading though to make it useful and we know they are adamantly against that.

The best part is that anyone who doesn't want the complexity would simply not load up on virtualized operating systems and would never see it. Can you imagine an 12.9" or 15" iPad Pro that you could load up Windows 11, MacOS Ventura, and any flavor of ARM64 Linux that you needed. The iPad Pro would be instantaneously the most flexible development platform on the planet.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I’m looking at the current iPad lineup as I’m considering buying a new tablet. Despite offering a choice of four mid-size tablets, I’m not sure any hits the sweet spot for me.

The 9th generation iPad looks dated and, at this stage, must surely be regarded as a stopgap until Apple lowers the price of the 10th generation or its successor. I also wonder how much longer 3GB of RAM will be viable. It serves a purpose as the cheapest iPad in the range and for those still wanting the home button, but I can’t see it attracting new people to the platform.

The 10th generation iPad addresses the above, but I feel it’s overpriced for what it offers. I understand the reasons for not including a laminated display, but at its current price point, I would expect one.

Base storage of 64GB is just about acceptable for an entry-level model as we enter 2023, but the price difference to the next tier is such that I think Apple really should offer a 128GB version. I’d rather have fewer colours to choose from if it meant having that option.

The 5th generation Air is probably closest to my needs. It still surprises me that Apple included the M1 chip in it, but pairing that with storage of 64GB in the base model makes the specification look unbalanced. It really should start with 128GB.

In some ways, I wonder if trading the M1 for an A16 with 6 or 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage would be the ideal mid-range iPad.

The 4th generation 11-inch iPad Pro was a modest improvement over its predecessor and it lacks the mini-LED display found in the 12.9-inch version. Whilst I’m sure it’s an excellent device, except for the SoC, it hasn't changed that much from the 2018 version, and I would expect the next version to be a big upgrade.

It’s the only version that comes with 128GB of storage, but at the price, you could make a case that the Pro models really should start with 256GB.

After a long period of success, I do wonder if Apple is getting complacent. The current range seems designed in a way to encourage people to upgrade, which was fine when there wasn’t any competition, but that’s not the case now. For the first time, I actually find myself considering an Android tablet. This is based on the positive user experience I’ve had with a Pixel phone and the sensible compromises that Google made in designing it.

I’m interested to see what their next tablet is like. It's due in 2023. Could they really mess it up three times in a row?

After the launch, I would expect them to offer aggressive discounts to increase market share as they’ve done with the Pixel phones.

I still think that Apple offers better support and longevity, but the gap is narrowing. The app store is better, although my impression is that there’s less innovation than in the early days of the iPad, and more apps are being optimised for Android tablets.

It comes down to the value proposition and if I can get something with the base storage of the iPad Pro, with similar or better display technology, for the price of the 10th generation iPad, then I would be seriously tempted.

Here’s more evidence of the gap closing -

I don’t expect Apple to make cheap devices, but I do expect them to offer a better value proposition. They need to target models at the intended market rather than worrying about taking sales away from other models in the range. And don't forget about the competition.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...It comes down to the value proposition and if I can get something with the base storage of the iPad Pro, with similar or better display technology, for the price of the 10th generation iPad, then I would be seriously tempted.
Refurbished or lightly use 256GB 4th Gen iPad Air.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Refurbished or lightly use 256GB 4th Gen iPad Air.

It lacks the high refresh rate screen that the likes of the Samsung Tab S8 come with.

My last few iPads have been used or refurbished and if I was to purchase another one, it would be the same.

I'm making a general point about the current iPad lineup and the choices Apple makes in determining the specifications of its devices.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple should allow M-series iPads to run macOS apps, if developers allow and if apps meet the proper specs. Not macOS itself, but Apple Silicon-optimized macOS apps, just as macOS on M-series Macs can run iPadOS and iOS apps if developers allow it. This would have multiple effects:
  • Encourage a few remaining stragglers to fully port their Intel-based apps to Apple Silicon
  • Potentially significantly expand the possible audience for macOS apps
  • Encourage more standardization between macOS and iPadOS
  • Address the criticism that iPadOS lacks "serious" apps
  • Make keyboard and trackpad accessories (like the Magic Keyboard and the Logitech Combo/Folio) more attactive
  • Encourage further development of Stage Manager
  • Justify the larger storage capacities available on iPad Pros

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Apple should allow M-series iPads to run macOS apps, if developers allow and if apps meet the proper specs. Not macOS itself, but Apple Silicon-optimized macOS apps, just as macOS on M-series Macs can run iPadOS and iOS apps if developers allow it. This would have multiple effects:
  • Encourage a few remaining stragglers to fully port their Intel-based apps to Apple Silicon
  • Potentially significantly expand the possible audience for macOS apps
  • Encourage more standardization between macOS and iPadOS
  • Address the criticism that iPadOS lacks "serious" apps
  • Make keyboard and trackpad accessories (like the Magic Keyboard and the Logitech Combo/Folio) more attactive
  • Encourage further development of Stage Manager
  • Justify the larger storage capacities available on iPad Pros
The problem with this idea is that it is a lot harder to have software designed for an unrestricted system to work on a highly restricted system. It is much easier to go from iPadOS to macOS because macOS allows everything to run with no limits on background tasks or memory for example.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The problem with this idea is that it is a lot harder to have software designed for an unrestricted system to work on a highly restricted system. It is much easier to go from iPadOS to macOS because macOS allows everything to run with no limits on background tasks or memory for example.
I agree there would be challenges. Perhaps Apple could promote a "Universal" app that works on both macOS and iPadOS, and thus does not assume that it has no limits on background tasks, etc. but still act like Mac apps when running in macOS.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I agree there would be challenges. Perhaps Apple could promote a "Universal" app that works on both macOS and iPadOS, and thus does not assume that it has no limits on background tasks, etc. but still act like Mac apps when running in macOS.
Isn't that SwiftUI and Catalyst? Apple made Appkit on macOS compatible with UIKit so that you can write one app across all platforms.

ICEMAN-sven

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
My wishes
iPad Hardware:
iPad Ultra 14" (it will see the light in the next 24 months ;-) )
An increase of PPI is long overdue. 260 feels dated, if you compare with the current phones. Now in the Mx SoC Epoche, there is not a good reason to stay behind.
Give us at least a 50% increase to round 400. If the display is switching to OLED with no true RGB matrix, than it will have to happen anyway.
RGB OLED or better MicroLED.
Mx Pro SoC, disable parts (bring it back to non Pro level) in mobil use. Full Power in docked (active or passiv cooling) and external power supply mode.

iPad OS:
Enable Bare Metal Hardware Virtualization in Bootloader (add a special key on external keyboard to switch)
Dump the complete I/O Stack. The current one is slow and has basically no support for advanced scenarios.
Best would be a full port of the current Darwin kernel, that MacOS uses. Only replace OS UI system.

I want to tinker with Xcode. As I do not plan to full time develop Apps, I have no need for dedicated Mac Hardware. Just plug the iPad in the Display dock and have a little fun. Apple TV really needs it. The player situation sucks.

Reactions: dgdosen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.