Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Hey all, I'm curious what your preferred macOS browser is. Google/gmail is always suggesting I convert to Chrome from Safari and I contemplate it; but I really love the integration with keychain in Safari.

If you've made the switch from Safari and have never looked back, what drew you to the other browser?

What is your experience with resource utilization? Have you felt any one browser performs better than another?

If using something other than Safari, how have you migrated from keychain, or is there something that will still allow the alternative browser to use keychain?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Reactions: Sorinut and rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I use Chrome mainly, and Safari when Chrome doesn't want to work. I've always used Chrome, really ever since I've owned a computer. It ran great on my very first machine that I got in 7th grade (2017) and so I figured I should keep using it.

But that's not really telling you anything, so here's actually why I use Google Chrome:
  • During the pandemic, I had to use (well, I chose to use) a web-app that only worked on (and was only developed for) Chrome. Haven't used the app since, but I think that's still true.
  • Other sites, like (if I'm remembering correctly) the U.S. Copyright Office's registration page, the Common Application, and my high school's web portal, seem to be best viewed on Chrome.
  • The ability to select multiple tabs! Why can you not do this in Safari!! Or maybe you can, but I sure don't know how to...
  • So that I don't have to get nagging prompts to switch to Chrome
  • It's cross-platform (see below)
I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are just a few that I can think of at the moment. I did try using Firefox last summer, and I liked it—it consumed less RAM, used less CPU, and just was faster in general than Chrome, but I ended up switching back because all my data is on Chrome, not on Firefox (or Safari).

The other thing—I could care less about iCloud Keychain, I have some passwords stored in there, but not many. I really just like using my password manager, because it's cross-platform. And that's the other reason why I use Chrome, is because I can access all my browsing data even on Windows, if I ever use it (which is not often).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Safari for most things.
Brave for a few things.
Dissenter for a couple of things.
Opera for one thing.
Tor when I need it.
Orion, occasionally...

Hmmmm....
Chrome???
What's that...???

• Angry
Reactions: dominiongamma

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I've used Chrome and Firefox full-time in the past. But I always returned to Safari for its simplicity and integration with other Apple devices. Now, I don't even have Chrome installed and have only had to open Firefox once or twice over the last few years.

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
I use Safari for websites that require a login and Firefox for everything else.
My Bookmarks Toolbar contains lots of folders which Firefox allows me to navigate much more quickly than Safari.
It's also much easier in Firefox to change the position of a bookmark within a folder.
I also appreciate that Firefox allows extensions that are not available for Safari.

Reactions: danbuter

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I can highly recommend Orion which is built on WebKit with a lot of the slick system and iCloud integrations and excellent performance you expect from Safari. It's a bit like Brave-meets-Safari but without any of the crypto cruft that comes with Brave. I still keep Brave as a secondary browser as well as Firefox.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleven

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Safari is my first choice, because it has worked fine up to now. However, it seems to me (no stats on this) that more businesses are now choosing to develop their websites with only Chrome as the preferred browser. I visit three websites regularly that no longer fully function with Safari, but they used to.

Reactions: danbuter and sleven

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I personally can't stand Safari due to some aspects if its UI. Never use it (save for occasional testing).

I keep several browsers open for various tasks and content types.

Main browser is Edge. Vivaldi for WordPress website maintenance. Firefox, Chrome and Brave for various other stuff.

I find it easier to spread whatever I'm using internet for between several browsers rather than opening countless tabs and windows in a single browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.