What's your style?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by smallcoffee, Dec 28, 2014.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Clothing wise. Where do you typically buy your clothes? What do you wear to work? On the street?

At work I usually wear a nice pair of pants and a shirt. When it anywhere I'm typically wearing a pair of jeans and a Henley style shirt, sweater, or v-neck (I have great collar bones )

I don't buy a lot of clothes, and what I do purchase I wear for a long time. Usually get stuff from Jcrew because I really like the styles, and can usually get a good discount.

How about you guys/gals?

2. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm retired so I wear what I'm most comfortable with. Blue Jeans, Tee shirts, Sneakers. You get the picture... Oh yeah, I'm basically a fashion disaster..lol!

3. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

James Dean. Blue jeans and a white T. Or black. No logos.

Black framed or frameless glasses (I had the black framed jobs way before the current fad). Black Gap simple leather jacket from Salvo for $20.

I have black board shoes that are really comfy and look not so bad, but a pair of comfy chunky-tread combat boots that I wear that also look cool.

I also have been gifted with pretty easy going hair, so sometimes it gets parted on different sides, sometimes I stand it up (the basic cut is like the Rocketeer... I know...). The right hair putty makes all the different.

...in short: boooorrrrrring!

Where I really shine is when I wear nice clothes; I have a ton of really gaudy but lovely ties, a cashmere executive coat (also from Salvo. It was like $1000 brand new and I paid $6 at Salvo). Plus the European-cut jacket and pants. You can't ignore a power tie on a white shirt with a black wool suit that fits. That's timeless. :cool:

5. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

I wear jeans, and sweaters. Nothing ever with logos. In the summer, I wear button down shirts with long sleeves.

When I was in grade school, our uniform for 8 years were long sleeve shirts, and I'd grown used to them. Now I can't wear a shirt with short sleeves. It feels incorrect.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Levi's Leggings (only style that fits!), flats/sneakers, and casual blouses, polos, buttoned shirts, sweaters, and plain soft tshirts.

And two pea coats.

I have thick black frame glasses too. My excuse is that they're the only type where I've not had my lenses fall out of. :eek: Have had my current pair for three years now.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

I prefere my birthday-suit, but at work they make me wear shirt, shoes and pants :(

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Jeans. Everyday of the year, jeans. 90F+ degree weather in the sun, jeans. Hoodie and shirt or sometimes a short sleeve T-shirt. That's my everyday and work attire.

9. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Whatever's handy and still fits me. The iron comes out maybe once every two months. Yeah, I know I could and should do better.

Defining moment: late 1980s, Brighton, the friendly local beggar on Western Road saying "Spare any change?" repeatedly to passers-by. Nothing else; just "Spare any change?".

I pass by, no plea for money. Instead: "Alright mate?"

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I laughed at this. Not sure I can concur fully, but very good.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

12. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

Very basic right now, blank t-shirts, hoodie or jacket when needed, jeans or cargo pants because I have stuff to carry and hate things in my back pockets. Whatever is cheap enough etc not ugly and will last a little while.

Sounds like what I do. Then in winter or summer add or remove jacket.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My style - slovenly :p

Seriously, I'm very casual, while in the office, a pair of basic pants and a dress shirt. When I work at home, dungarees and a t-shirt.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very good story, and nicely told.

My style is formal bespoke pantsuit at work, or a properly tailored jacket and formal trouser combination with formal black shoes. Even when I was a college teacher, I always wore a formal jacket in the classroom, although, on campus, one can wear what they like.

Re leisure wear, I have never in my life found a pair of jeans that fit properly or were comfortable, so I don't wear them; instead, I wear variations of the theme of chinos (what Our American Cousins would call khakis), in different colours, or corduroys, with a sweater (cashmere or wool for preference), or a sports or tweed jacket and long or short sleeved shirt. I never wear runners (again, I have never found a comfortable pair in my life) but do wear suede loafers or suede lace-ups.

15. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I do like half of my shopping at H&M or Wetseal. Usually on the clearance rack.

I usually just wear skirts or skinny jeans/leggings with plain shirts and cardigans. I got a really nice J Crew coat I like a while ago :D

16. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

T-shirt and jeans if it's warm enough, same thing with an added hoodie if it isn't.

I'm very boring.

17. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Work: somewhere between corporate and slightly funky dressy. Express is my go to place. And on the rare occasion, Free People (2-4x a year, if that and usually on sale.)

Home: get me in a licensed t or long sleeve, jeans and I'm good. Been rocking the t shirt and jeans look for a long time now, no way I am giving that up.

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Spring, summer, fall: jeans (cutoffs in Juiy), tee, sweatshirt or denim jacket if it’s cold, poncho if it’s raining cats dogs and tree limbs. Faux Crocs, dust color. Cheap white jogging shoes. LLBean mud clogs, the color of mud!

Deer season: blaze orange sweatshirt, jeans, nothing white anywhere on me or in my hands. No white dishtowels flapping on the clothesline either. We get some rarified idiots will come up here in the late fall sometimes. ‘Nuf said.

Winter: dual layer (cotton and wool) thermal top and bottom, jeans, turtleneck, sweatshirt and a 100% wool cardigan in a nice heavy gauge that can take a joke. Parka , scarf, hat, gloves for when it’s windy or below freezing. Some wool socks and assorted kinds of boots depending on how much snow or ice has built up outside. I don't heat the upstairs of my place and I cut the thermostat downstairs to 54 at night,, leaving the stair door open just a tad, so I layer on the bedding about seven layers thick. It works great, it's more or less like camping out in the mountains in summer. Except in winter there are two cats in the sack instead of mosquitoes or spiders.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Usually jeans, 3 -5 day beard stubble, and a Polo, Izod, or Tommy Hilfiger shirt, unless I need to be somewhere that I have to dress up.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have noticed that many of the posters have written about wearing that standard, almost default US combo of jeans and t-shirts quite a lot: And a really good quality, well made, cotton t-shirt is hard to beat in summer for casual wear - some of the US made ones are excellent, and I will happily wear them at week-ends or when I'm off; partnered with a casual jacket, they will look well in the evenings, too.

Nonetheless, I am struck by the fact that nobody has mentioned leather jackets, which I would have assumed to be another wardrobe stable, especially in the US.

For my part, until relatively recently, I used never wear leather jackets. However, in recent years, while working abroad, I had the opportunity to get a few made for myself, and ordered two for my brother, as well; for leisure wear, -stylish yet casual - leisure wear - they are unbeatable.

22. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Sometimes I'm contemporary, and modern. Armani, Tom Ford, Prada, Hugo Boss. Other times I like going in 70's vintage clothes.

I'm honestly kind of shocked how little care a lot of people on here put into their wardrobe. In the superficial society we live in, your wardrobe is a reflection of you and your success. Say you wanted to see a doctor, would you see the doctor in khakis and a polo shirt, or would you see the doctor with a custom tailored bespoke suit? The doctor in the suit, yes? Because you probably thought "this guy must be very good at what he does if he can afford an expensive suit". Same can go for any field really.

While I'm not commenting that everyone here should go and invest $6,000+ in a custom suit, it does pay to pay attention...both professionally and socially. Success breeds success, and rich attracts rich.

Reminds me of the linked article below I read a little while ago about this exact topic. Before you dismiss the article based on the title alone because of the ridiculous amount he spent, read through it and read what happened to his friend. You cannot not afford to pay attention and invest in your wardrobe, in my opinion.

Man Claims $160,000 Budget on His Appearance Resulted in $690,000 Return

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Unfortunately, I think you may have a point in what you have written. People, especially woman, but also, increasingly, men, are - partly (and subconsciously) judged by appearance and by what they choose to wear when in a professional setting.

When I was a university teacher, I took a decision to always show up in the classroom - at least until shortly before exams when students no longer even notice whet you wear - in a proper jacket and trousers combination, smart shoes, along with a proper briefcase. In a university setting, everyone could wear what they liked, and students proudly advertised their sartorial and societal non-conformity in their own appearance.

However, - and this is funny, given their own passionate attachment to their right to wear what they liked - I did notice that, subconsciously, the students responded to the appearance of formality; somehow, you were assumed to be more 'serious' if you dressed a bit more formally.

24. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think dressing well makes people take you more seriously, respect you more, and like you more. At least that has been my experience.

I do t care what other people wear. I do my best not to judge so much as I can help it by being human. But in my experience, dressing well has helped me quite a bit.

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

At work I'm in casual slacks, like Dockers or similar and usually a polo shirt. If I have a meeting, I'll up it to a regular button down shirt, sometimes a tie, sometimes not and a jacket.

At home I'm in a t-shirt and shorts.

When I go out on my own time, jeans and either a polo or a t-shirt depending on what I'm doing. If I'm going to the symphony, which I do, it's a full on suit for the wonderful formal events.

Plus, I'm always wearing one of my fedora's no matter what.