Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Whatever my wife gets me and it's usually nice stuff, so no complaints. :D

Thanks to my wife, I now know why there are expensive items, they do last you quite a while longer.

Last edited:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Unfortunately, I think you may have a point in what you have written. People, especially woman, but also, increasingly, men, are - partly (and subconsciously) judged by appearance and by what they choose to wear when in a professional setting.

Up until a few years ago I really didn't care what I wore, and had no sense of style at all. Then I dated, and am still friends with a wardrobe stylist. I began to see the merit in paying attention to what you wear. I'm a simple guy, but I've become highly aware of what I wear. It truly does make a huge difference in social settings, and professionalism. Plus it's not too shabby when I can call her up and set a date to go shopping (which I dread, but worth it).

I think dressing well makes people take you more seriously, respect you more, and like you more. At least that has been my experience.

I do t care what other people wear. I do my best not to judge so much as I can help it by being human. But in my experience, dressing well has helped me quite a bit.

Trust me, I'm a simple guy, I don't care if you have $100 in the bank or $100 million (I have friends in both situations), I'll treat you the same....to me, what makes you rich is your personality and whether or not you're a good person......BUT, we live in a cruel society where first impressions are #1. Plus, quite frankly, it feels good to dress up and wear fine clothes.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
At work it's always a polo shirt and jeans/khakis. A lot of visits to the Ralph Lauren Outlet or the regular store for end of season sales.

If I could, I would wear hockey jerseys all the time this time of year.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I'm a sucker for christmas jumpers :D I am almost exclusively wearing jeans, except in summer (even if it's cold) when I wear shorts. I also love a good quilted or wax jacket. Bit of a country bumpkin! :D

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Sometimes I'm contemporary, and modern. Armani, Tom Ford, Prada, Hugo Boss. Other times I like going in 70's vintage clothes.

I'm honestly kind of shocked how little care a lot of people on here put into their wardrobe. In the superficial society we live in, your wardrobe is a reflection of you and your success. Say you wanted to see a doctor, would you see the doctor in khakis and a polo shirt, or would you see the doctor with a custom tailored bespoke suit? The doctor in the suit, yes? Because you probably thought "this guy must be very good at what he does if he can afford an expensive suit". Same can go for any field really.

While I'm not commenting that everyone here should go and invest $6,000+ in a custom suit, it does pay to pay attention...both professionally and socially. Success breeds success, and rich attracts rich.

Reminds me of the linked article below I read a little while ago about this exact topic. Before you dismiss the article based on the title alone because of the ridiculous amount he spent, read through it and read what happened to his friend. You cannot not afford to pay attention and invest in your wardrobe, in my opinion.

Man Claims $160,000 Budget on His Appearance Resulted in $690,000 Return
It depends, I live in South FL. 32 and have owned multiple businesses and done consulting for years, dealt with plenty of high-pow peeps and CEOs etc here (and other states). Guess what, never wore a suit, only once about 8 years ago and never again. You'd be surprised at how many "meetings" I've had where the CEO and others were even in jeans and flip flops sometimes depending on where we were meeting, but even in their office it was very very rare to see them decked out in a suit. Now on the flip side, my wifes fam lives in Rochestor MI and people there act like you have to be in a fur coat or suit 24/7 to do any business, so it depends, we have a very laid back lifestyle here, their a lot more conservative up north. But I've always traveled for biz all over the U.S., even securing contracts in my late 20's on large mid-cap companies. My normal attire for a meeting like that ---> nice jeans (not some Levis lol), nice shoes, and usually a long sleeve not tucked in and sometimes sleeves rolled up and I'll have a nice watch on anyway. Know what I've had people tell me over and over these years, something to the effect of liking me and how I came off without being in a full suit, had CEOs tell me that if a sales rep or even other business owner comes in in some decked out fitted suit it comes off as used car salesman like. I've even spoken at events where I was the only one dressed like that and yet after the event I had more people coming up to me or my company/employees I had there then other larger and known "suited" firms lol. South FL.... who the hell wants to be running around in suit sweating your ass off lol, did that one time, never again :cool: , even my attorney buddies are only in suits when in court.

Now I don't dress like a bum lol, when up north in winter especially for business I have nicer clothes and my leather coats etc but mainly b/c its freezing. But I usually get a feel for the person/company I'm meeting and know how to roll from there, granted I also have the personality to pull it off and know what the f' I'm doing, however I've seen others try to do the same and fail. So it all depends. I have worn a sport coat sometimes in South FL.

I do have 5 custom tailored suits that were $$$, but more so for occasions like weddings, business/charity type events etc.

Last edited:

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
It also depends on your industry and your position. A CEO can get away with wearing things that an employee can't.

I like suits though. If you have a nice one, they can be plenty comfortable. Though of course somewhere like Florida you're not going to want to wear one.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Black or blue jeans, a black or grey t-shirt (unless I'm forced into a polo or dress shirt when we go out, black khakis included), sometimes a metal/industrial band shirt, black heavy duty running shoes, two matching earrings in my left ear (silver/black hoops or diamonds), a watch that matches the shirt/jeans/earrings, sometimes leather wrist bands.

I don't do ties as I have a massive neck and they really make me feel sick physically, but I'm not opposed to them in a sense of "I'm a rebel, you moronic tie lemmings!", they can look neat. Anything can look neat. Band shirts, tattoos etc. can all look great and make someone feel comfortable about themselves. But also, people with tons of tattoos and face piercings seem just as conventional to me as people with a suit and tie.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Firstly I want to point out that they don't come much cooler than myself. :D

I generally wear jeans (slim or skinny), Brown Brogues or black pointy shoes, slim fit shirt (white, blue, pink), and a blazer or sports jacket, topped off with a Seiko SKX007, or Steinhard OVM Submariner wristwatch. Ray Ban Warfarers in the summer :cool:

And some days I just don't care! :)

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I usually wear black dress slacks and a nice top.. Which is also usually black. I wear jeans and basic t-shirts when it's casual day or I'm off work.

I don't really consider myself "in style".

----------

My style is whatever is clean.

But generally cargo pants and a polo w/good boots.

That's my guys style too. Wrinkles are his trademark though.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I usually wear black dress slacks and a nice top.. Which is also usually black. I wear jeans and basic t-shirts when it's casual day or I'm off work.

I don't really consider myself "in style".

----------

That's my guys style too. Wrinkles are his trademark though.

My wife isn't to pleased with it but..

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Wrinkles are his trademark though.

Happy birthday honey!

386779388_258.jpg

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
It depends, I live in South FL. 32 and have owned multiple businesses and done consulting for years, dealt with plenty of high-pow peeps and CEOs etc here (and other states). Guess what, never wore a suit, only once about 8 years ago and never again. You'd be surprised at how many "meetings" I've had where the CEO and others were even in jeans and flip flops sometimes depending on where we were meeting, but even in their office it was very very rare to see them decked out in a suit. Now on the flip side, my wifes fam lives in Rochestor MI and people there act like you have to be in a fur coat or suit 24/7 to do any business, so it depends, we have a very laid back lifestyle here, their a lot more conservative up north. But I've always traveled for biz all over the U.S., even securing contracts in my late 20's on large mid-cap companies. My normal attire for a meeting like that ---> nice jeans (not some Levis lol), nice shoes, and usually a long sleeve not tucked in and sometimes sleeves rolled up and I'll have a nice watch on anyway. Know what I've had people tell me over and over these years, something to the effect of liking me and how I came off without being in a full suit, had CEOs tell me that if a sales rep or even other business owner comes in in some decked out fitted suit it comes off as used car salesman like. I've even spoken at events where I was the only one dressed like that and yet after the event I had more people coming up to me or my company/employees I had there then other larger and known "suited" firms lol. South FL.... who the hell wants to be running around in suit sweating your ass off lol, did that one time, never again :cool: , even my attorney buddies are only in suits when in court.

Now I don't dress like a bum lol, when up north in winter especially for business I have nicer clothes and my leather coats etc but mainly b/c its freezing. But I usually get a feel for the person/company I'm meeting and know how to roll from there, granted I also have the personality to pull it off and know what the f' I'm doing, however I've seen others try to do the same and fail. So it all depends. I have worn a sport coat sometimes in South FL.

I do have 5 custom tailored suits that were $$$, but more so for occasions like weddings, business/charity type events etc.

That's pretty interesting I've got to admit, however perhaps you can pull it off because you're in South Florida, plus your username "SurferMan" gonna guess you like to surf! If you love to surf, and have the surf mentality, I can see it working for some....is your business sports related, by chance? I have a surfer friend who never wears a suit, instead wears nice jeans with chucks and runs a million dollar design company. I like to rock jeans and shirt too on an average day, it just feels good to dress up. Plus as I wrote in the original comment - society just seems to look at you different.

As far as "used car salesman look", that just reeks of a cheap of the shelf suit from mens wearhouse, Aka: classic loose fit, large lapels, that's not tailored well. I love the new "Modern" suits emerging with modern / slim fit, that are geared for more than just business meetings.....but instead a nice night out on the town.

You don't even have to invest much, I like Hugo Boss....they're cheap and make great stuff like this suit that's only $795. Armani is a better brand / quality of suit, I'm a fan of their suits, and again don't have to spend an arm and a leg like this one that's a little over $1k. Last but not least, there's Burberry, this is the next suit I'm getting and at just under $2k, it's not that bad.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That's pretty interesting I've got to admit, however perhaps you can pull it off because you're in South Florida, plus your username "SurferMan" gonna guess you like to surf! If you love to surf, and have the surf mentality, I can see it working for some....is your business sports related, by chance? I have a surfer friend who never wears a suit, instead wears nice jeans with chucks and runs a million dollar design company. I like to rock jeans and shirt too on an average day, it just feels good to dress up. Plus as I wrote in the original comment - society just seems to look at you different.

As far as "used car salesman look", that just reeks of a cheap of the shelf suit from mens wearhouse, Aka: classic loose fit, large lapels, that's not tailored well. I love the new "Modern" suits emerging with modern / slim fit, that are geared for more than just business meetings.....but instead a nice night out on the town.

You don't even have to invest much, I like Hugo Boss....they're cheap and make great stuff like this suit that's only $795. Armani is a better brand / quality of suit, I'm a fan of their suits, and again don't have to spend an arm and a leg like this one that's a little over $1k. Last but not least, there's Burberry, this is the next suit I'm getting and at just under $2k, it's not that bad.

I am not sure whether it is a question of age, era, or fashion. Perhaps build, too, although even when I was quite slim (in my undergrad, days) I still preferred the looser cut clothing of the 1980s to the tighter cut of today.

That is not to say it cannot look smart, it can, but it presupposes firstly a slim body and/or build, and secondly, a preference for a tight fit. Personally, I dislike clothes that cling and fit tightly, and always have, as I find them most uncomfortable, but each to their own.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I am not sure whether it is a question of age, era, or fashion. Perhaps build, too, although even when I was quite slim (in my undergrad, days) I still preferred the looser cut clothing of the 1980s to the tighter cut of today.

That is not to say it cannot look smart, it can, but it presupposes firstly a slim body and/or build, and secondly, a preference for a tight fit. Personally, I dislike clothes that cling and fit tightly, and always have, as I find them most uncomfortable, but each to their own.

I'm mid 20's, 6'1 and 180, if that makes any difference...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm mid 20's, 6'1 and 180, if that makes any difference...

Thanks for the courtesy of a reply - I wasn't intending a criticism, just an observation.

However, your reply does indeed tell me that you are of the age where this is the 'look' that you consider most attractive, and have the sort of build that can carry it off. Well done, you.

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
I usually wear dark jeans, leather shoes, and some sort of button up shirt. I don't really ever pay "Too Much" for my clothing. I work in an office that does not deal with the public at all, so there's no uniform, or need to be too fancy.
I'd rather spend the money on other things.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

I do surf (actually just chose that name as couldn't think of anything else lol) but no not sports related, I do sales and marketing consulting and other business related stuff. Used to own a finance company that specialized in high end resi and commercial financing that morphed into more business services and went from there. Closed some of those divisions as it was too much of a headache regardless of $ lol, used to deal a lot with VC and capital firms and got burnt out traveling all the time.

Sometimes I've thrown on a sport coat depending on the feel I get over the phone if I haven't met the company yet. But yeah like you said I have the personality to pull off nice jeans/shoes/shirt even untucked even if I'm meeting the ceo and board, and there were occasions where took clients on boat and went fishing so obviously you can tell how we were dressed lol, met some at bars out doors and in South FL thats a very laid back scene (unless you live in wack job Miami lol). Same token I've seen people do the same style but look like fools as they couldn't pull it off.

But its also just comfortable down here, nobody wants to be running around in a suit, be sweating your ass off, nothing like going to meet a client drenched and swamp assed lol. Quick story, lot of companies here for whatever reason make even their low level and like telemarketers etc be fully dressed up every day and rarely a casual Friday. Makes no sense, their not meeting anyone and especially a telemarketer stuck in a cubicle all day, who cares. I've consulted at so many companies and I noticed for example ones in same industry, sales were always higher and morale higher where the atmosphere was more casual (again not bumming it, but nice jeans/shoes/shirt etc) vs similar companies where their employees had to be in slacks/dress shoes/dress shirt/tie and even a a few where you had to be in a suit but could take the jacket off once at your desk (wtf lol). So one company I was implementing a campaign for had "casual Friday) and on avg sales were always better on Fri then other days, so I talked to the sales mngr and other higher ups and they agreed to try out "business casual" everyday, sure enough employees seemed happier, sales were up and more motivation etc. Thats just my take on it from my experience.

Last edited:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I do surf (actually just chose that name as couldn't think of anything else lol) but no not sports related, I do sales and marketing consulting and other business related stuff. Used to own a finance company that specialized in high end resi and commercial financing that morphed into more business services and went from there. Closed some of those divisions as it was too much of a headache regardless of $ lol, used to deal a lot with VC and capital firms and got burnt out traveling all the time.

Sometimes I've thrown on a sport coat depending on the feel I get over the phone if I haven't met the company yet. But yeah like you said I have the personality to pull off nice jeans/shoes/shirt even untucked even if I'm meeting the ceo and board, and there were occasions where took clients on boat and went fishing so obviously you can tell how we were dressed lol, met some at bars out doors and in South FL thats a very laid back scene (unless you live in wack job Miami lol). Same token I've seen people do the same style but look like fools as they couldn't pull it off.

But its also just comfortable down here, nobody wants to be running around in a suit, be sweating your ass off, nothing like going to meet a client drenched and swamp assed lol. Quick story, lot of companies here for whatever reason make even their low level and like telemarketers etc be fully dressed up every day and rarely a casual Friday. Makes no sense, their not meeting anyone and especially a telemarketer stuck in a cubicle all day, who cares. I've consulted at so many companies and I noticed for example ones in same industry, sales were always higher and morale higher where the atmosphere was more casual (again not bumming it, but nice jeans/shoes/shirt etc) vs similar companies where their employees had to be in slacks/dress shoes/dress shirt/tie and even a a few where you had to be in a suit but could take the jacket off once at your desk (wtf lol). So one company I was implementing a campaign for had "casual Friday) and on avg sales were always better on Fri then other days, so I talked to the sales mngr and other higher ups and they agreed to try out "business casual" everyday, sure enough employees seemed happier, sales were up and more motivation etc. Thats just my take on it from my experience.

Perhaps our thoughts are getting lost in translation, because quite frankly I don't care about dressing up if I was working for a company. I would probably rather die than work in a cubicle, or even an office. I'm a big outdoors type person. I like dressing up in a suit to go out on the town, or go to Vegas over the weekend, etc.

On a semi-related note I am currently pursuing two entrepreneurial endeavors, and once I start meeting with perspective clients in a few months I'm sure I'll be wearing a suit heh.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Perhaps our thoughts are getting lost in translation, because quite frankly I don't care about dressing up if I was working for a company. I would probably rather die than work in a cubicle, or even an office. I'm a big outdoors type person. I like dressing up in a suit to go out on the town, or go to Vegas over the weekend, etc.

On a semi-related note I am currently pursuing two entrepreneurial endeavors, and once I start meeting with perspective clients in a few months I'm sure I'll be wearing a suit heh.
Ahh I get what you mean, but yeah out and about still = laid back comfy clothing for me. In South FL you really only see people getting all dressed up and this and that in Miami where the wackos there have to be seen spending $$$ on clothing and going to places or restaurants that cost $$$$ that end up sucking majorly 99.9% of the time lol. We have friends down there, and I was born there, but when they make plans to meet up or go out somewhere I always make other suggestions lol :D . My wife and I are to the point where when friends in Miami make suggestions we immediately go to yelp/google and prepare for the worst. Home office today and met with one client for lunch was me in shorts, short sleeve button down, and flip flops, he was in jeans and flip flops and polo shirt.

Only wear my custom suits for weddings and events like charities, out and about or when travelling no way.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Personally, I dislike clothes that cling and fit tightly, and always have, as I find them most uncomfortable, but each to their own.

For some irrational reason I cannot wait until this fad of insanely tight clothing burns in the bits of hypothetical hell!

They are uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

Yes, everyone, irrational because I dislike even seeing it. Yes, I would rather have the baggy 90s back. (however that could be extreme the other way)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For some irrational reason I cannot wait until this fad of insanely tight clothing burns in the bits of hypothetical hell!

They are uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

Yes, everyone, irrational because I dislike even seeing it. Yes, I would rather have the baggy 90s back. (however that could be extreme the other way)

I'm laughing, reading your post. Anyway, broadly speaking, I agree with you.

Personally, I dislike this fashion, because while I like to look professional and well, I also like to be able to wear my clothes in comfort.

The other issue with this particular fashion 'look 's that for both males and females, if you are not already slim (and I am not) this is not a look which will flatter you in the slightest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.