Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp Messenger is rolling out picture-in-picture support in its latest app update, allowing users to continue their video call in a small window while doing something else on their iPhone.

Whatsapp-Feature.jpg

Up until now, if you needed to do something on your phone while on a WhatsApp video call, you had to swipe out of WhatsApp, which paused the video for the person you were speaking with.

Once the new support has rolled out to you, if you swipe out of a ‌video call it will automatically minimize into a picture-in-picture window that continues to be visible even while you access other apps, so you and the other person you're talking to can continue your conversation without the ‌iPhone‌ being otherwise unusable.

WhatsApp said in December that it was working on developing support for picture-in-picture to allow WhatsApp users to multitask and use other apps while remaining on a video call.

Introduced on iPhone with iOS 14, picture-in-picture works with apps that play video content, but when it comes to third-party apps, app developers have to implement support for the feature.
The latest v23.3.77 update also brings a couple of other notable improvements, including the ability to add captions when sending documents, and added support for longer group subjects and descriptions. WhatsApp says these features will roll out over the coming weeks.

Article Link: WhatsApp Starts Rolling Out Picture-in-Picture Support for Video Calls on iPhone

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Are there no users giving feedback about features they want in a certain app or are they being bombarded with feature requests that they just pick one at a time or just add what they think will be useful to users? Or are they like Apple that waits first for someone to do something and then when it is their turn, they polish/make the feature near perfect?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Are there no users giving feedback about features they want in a certain app or are they being bombarded with feature requests that they just pick one at a time or just add what they think will be useful to users? Or are they like Apple that waits first for someone to do something and then when it is their turn, they polish/make the feature near perfect?

Considering it’s Facebook, they probably send all feedback to /dev/null and just do what they want.

Reactions: klasma

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I was surprised when mine did this. I thought to myself “when did this happen?” as it usually paused the video. Pretty cool. As WhatsApp is pretty much the DeFacto messaging platform here in Indonesia.

Reactions: Gnomeo86

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I used to hate WhatsApp and considered it an antiquated messaging app. But they kept improving and adding things that I actually love it. They introduced inter-platform chat transfer (Android to iOS and vice versa), encrypted backup, and now PiP. Really nice in making the app into an even more versatile communication tool.

And now if I install WhatsApp on my Android tablet, it actually gave me an option to sync it with WhatsApp on my phone. Amazing. Before, it would just require me to create a new account.

Reactions: d686546s

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Whatsapp needs to fix the bug that broke the auto daily backup in iOS. It never backs up since last year.
I thought it was just me. Good to know this is a bug.

They also need to hurry up and release support for Apple silicon

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Whatsapp needs to fix the bug that broke the auto daily backup in iOS. It never backs up since last year.
Never seems to be an issue on mine. Try forcing a manual backup and see if it then automatically backs up the next cycle. Also make sure your iCloud account is connected fine and have enough storage.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
That’s my point.

I live in the UK and absolutely NO ONE I know uses iMessage, yet probably half or more of them have iPhones.
Why would someone want a green message instead of a blue message? Makes no sense whatsoever. Also, those that use iPhones often have Macs, and it is easy to use the Message App on the Mac.

I use Signal with Android or PC users, not Whatsapp, which seems to be for Facebook spying on users.
Why use Whatsapp when there is Signal (which also has a desktop Signal app)?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Why would someone want a green message instead of a blue message? Makes no sense whatsoever. Also, those that use iPhones often have Macs, and it is easy to use the Message App on the Mac.

I use Signal with Android or PC users, not Whatsapp, which seems to be for Facebook spying on users.
Why use Whatsapp when there is Signal (which also has a desktop Signal app)?
I would use Signal, but virtually no one amongst my contacts uses it so it’s a non starter.

Not used iMessage meaningfully for a long time, but unless iMessage has improved a lot, Whatsapp handles groups a lot better, and more importantly it has SEARCH! iMessage is useless in this regard. Good luck finding an old message, and you can’t even browse old images/videos.

uczcret

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2021
England
Weekly auto backup isn’t working either. At least things have improved now- I couldn’t do a backup (manual or otherwise) throughout 16.2, it was beyond irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.