iPhone WhatsApp Update Catches Up with Android

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ashindnile, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ashindnile macrumors 6502

The new update to WhatsApp brings more features than advertised in the changelog. Finally, it catches up with its Android counterpart- functionality wise.
    I've personally preferred the iOS version of WhatsApp in terms of design and layout. But almost every iOS app 'looks' better than on Android(in my eye).
    iOS>Holo>Material Design

But functionality wise, many android apps seem to have an edge; WhatsApp being one of them.
    The new update features improvements to gallery view(Looks similar to Apple Photos), Ability to share Photos/Videos from Document Picker, new chat backgrounds, and video playback zoom.

Here are two features that make it a great update, that they've left out in the changelog:
    1. Message previews now contain status ticks(Sent/Delivered/Read)-
    No more having to jump into every thread then back. This has been on Android from the beginning. But hey I ain't complaining :D :D
    2. Not only can you share Pictures/Video from other apps, you can now FINALLY share audio directly(non iTunes, obviously).
    Have a new song you've been working on? Want your friends to be able to hear it? Hit Share, and WhatsApp will be an option. Why should Android have all the fun? ;)

I wrote this thread because the blogs didn't seem to have observed beyond the changelog, but I could be wrong. ;)
    Good day!

2. Bladery macrumors 6502

They're getting better but what really annoys me is that you can't search individual chats but only every conversation!
    This is annoying

3. ashindnile thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, while you can't filter searches, you can now search in spotlight! I don't know if this was integrated before.
    Also, now in the chat files view, there's an option to view all links.

4. Bladery macrumors 6502