Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Tried Telegram, it is better but deleted since no one I know uses it.

Put it back on, and get some of your friends to add it too.

Telegram has iCloud Drive support, so it can send whatever files you have on it, like spreadsheets etc, while WhatsApp can only send the basic photos, videos and contacts.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I agree of all things apple, iMessage has been very well thought out. My favourite messaging app as well.

Hmmm, what's the one major problem with it again? Oh yeah it's not on multiplatforms or even web accessible. You might be one of the few people that only have to use all Mac products but many people go to work and have windows machines, not to mention not everyone you know owns an iphone.

If Apple ever releases it on Android/windows and or web (dreaming I know) I'd definitely give it a whirl. Till then I'm a Hangouts user. Hopefully Google lets you send sms messages via web with it then it will catch up a bit to iMessage. Whatsapp took too long to include web access.

Actually, back when iMessage came out, there was a lot of talk that Apple we're going to release a version of messages on windows.

They are the slowest devs ever - whatever is released in September in the newest iOS you're lucky to see implemented in Whatsapp by Dec/Jan.

I know, sadly.

Put it back on, and get some of your friends to add it too.

Easier said than done. A lot of people are stuck in their ways.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Why the hate for Whatsapp? It's fast, easy to use and very widespread. What do you miss or which feature isn't built into it, that so many people here act like it's an unusable mess? Apart from security reasons (but even there whatsapp did a lot of things in the past) I can't see the problem.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
That doesn't stop them making it available on iPad, why do people seem to keep using that flawed idea as a reason. Viber does it. The whatsapp/Facebook team can easily make it work.
its not an excuse ... he asked why he cant. thats why. you "could" also potentially maybe probably unlikely use it on a smart-dishwasher. doesnt mean u can right now :D

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
We should start some sort of Telegram evangelism cult (like Guy Kawasaki with Apple) to convert people. I hate Whatsapp. But no one will switch because with this type of service, its about the contacts. I bet you can create a Facebook alternative, but no one will use it because there is no one on it.

I believe no one company should control any service. Given that Facebook paid 20B for this this, they are probably trying to get their money back somehow.

Reactions: illjazz

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The only reason whatsapp is popular is because those silly android users are obsessed with using it. All my iPhone friends are "just text me" whereas androids users are quick to message me on whatsapp even tho I say "text me"

I only use it for group chats with non iOS users..

You're delusional if you think only Android users use whatsapp. It might not be used much where you live or among your social circles but whatsapp is very popular worldwide on Android and iOS.

Reactions: verpeiler

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
You're delusional if you think only Android users use whatsapp. It might not be used much where you live or among your social circles but whatsapp is very popular worldwide on Android and iOS.

lol not sure why you're getting all upset.

it's true. if i have an iOS device, i can just iMessage anyone i want in the world as long as they have an iOS device. if they have an android, they will say "please get whatsapp to message me" ..

no iOS user has EVER messaged me on whatsapp, EVER.

the only reason i have it is because i work with people who are still using an inferior product (android) and i need to be in a group chat with these people.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
its not an excuse ... he asked why he cant. thats why. you "could" also potentially maybe probably unlikely use it on a smart-dishwasher. doesnt mean u can right now :D

It's not 'why he can't' though. The why is really that the developers are just lazy. Viber can do it and they use phone number in the same way as WhatsApp. People claiming that 'it's tied to a phone number' are simply just wrong and Viber proves them wrong.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

it's true. if i have an iOS device, i can just iMessage anyone i want in the world as long as they have an iOS device. if they have an android, they will say "please get whatsapp to message me" ..

the only reason i have it is because i work with people who are still using an inferior product (android) and i need to be in a group chat with these people.
no one i know uses iMessage unless i start a conversation. they just like the whole stalking aspect of WhatsApp too much. i remember one time my aunt kept trying to get in touch with my cousin like OMG SHE HASNT BEEN ON WHATSAPP SINCE 9:24 AM!!! SOMETHING IS WRONG. turns out my cousin was writing a german exam at the time xD

but yeah id love for people to be more active on iMessage so i can just use my mac to reply

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

I have a couple of friends that have iOS and, despite me messaging on iMessage, they always reply on whatsapp. Annoying, but oh well.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
this thread proves people are likely being paid to promote Telegram. no sane person shows hate for a product and love for another in the same post. Also if you notice it comes down to since facebook bought them. did facebook eat your lunch?

Reactions: zooby and shandyman

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
this thread proves people are likely being paid to promote Telegram. no sane person shows hate for a product and love for another in the same post. Also if you notice it comes down to since facebook bought them. did facebook eat your lunch?

I switched to Telegram after searching for reviews of secure messaging services using end-to-end encryption. If I had ended up using another, such as Threema, then I'd be advocating that instead.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I switched to Telegram after searching for reviews of secure messaging services using end-to-end encryption. If I had ended up using another, such as Threema, then I'd be advocating that instead.

Whatsapp has end to end encryption as well for the past 18 months

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.