When Apple replaces a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Oct 13, 2009.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

do they replace it with the same exact model you had before?

I mean, if you had the old 15" Unibody design without the SD memory card, and something was wrong with it and they were going to replace it, would they replace it with the same model or just give you an upgrade to the SD card one?

I mean, they don't make the old ones anymore, right?
    I guess they could have them in supply still maybe though.

This isn't a personal question, I'm just curious about it.

2. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

They give you the latest version with comparable specs.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They give you one that is in the same tier as your old one...

example if you bought a mid-level MacBook, you get a Mid-level MacBook... same thing for high-end or entry-level.

4. vant macrumors 65816

What happens to warranty? Does it get reset or you still get the remainder?

5. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

I was given a choice when they replaced my MBP, in regards to the warranty. I could take a refund for the amount of Applecare left (2 years, but they would only give me 66% refunded, the machine was still within its one year limited) or I could have it transferred to the new machine.

If you're given the same choice, I would think carefully before you jump into it, as I made a hasty decision. I was given the impression that because my machine was still within the first year limited warranty and I was receiving a brand new machine, that my 2 years of Applecare would be added to the 1 year on the new if I transferred the warranty.

This is, unfortunately, not the case. When I elected to have the Applecare transferred and then checked the warranty status, I saw that the Applecare STILL expired in Oct of 2011, even though I got the new machine in Sept of 2009. So the original dates are what was transferred, and I ended up with only 2 years of warranty on this new MBP with no option to purchase additional. I wish I would have taken the refund.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Technically they give you a credit for the value of the same-tier current machine. You can then either take the same-tier equivalent or add to the credit and go for a higher-spec machine.

AppleCare will be refunded pro-rata based on what time is remaining on the warranty. You will need to purchase again for the replacement.

7. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

If you dont mind me asking, what are the exact circumstances for you getting a replacement? I am having major issues with the same computer and am trying to get them the replace it with a new one. I am tired of them just trying to patch it together again and again. Thanks. Good luck.

8. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Okay, so you would get the newer one then.
    They upgraded their line-up and dropped the prices,
    so if they gave you credit for it you would actually be gaining money on top of an upgrade?
    Unless they just give you credit for the current one that's out,
    which would still answer my question and you WOULD get an upgrade to the current line-up.

I was just wondering, I don't know if I'm going to call them about my laptop.

My laptop is bowed, and the speakers don't work sometimes, and it's been going slow lately.
    The slow thing isn't really a legit complaint, but the other two are I am pretty sure.

I have 4 years of apple care. (I think)
    I bought extended Apple Care and my original 1 year isn't up yet.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You only have two years of additional coverage. Applecare extends the original warranty to three years.

Apple won't replace your box for those two issues. The standard 'round these parts is three out-of-commission repairs, meaning that they have to bench your machine or ship it to texas for repairs. This isn't an official policy, but thats when people usually start petitioning for a new machine. I've also heard that they will replace your machine when the dollar amount is higher than the amount of a comparable machine (so say like a logic board replace and a screen replace) but I don't know how reliable that is.

My question is, why are you sitting on these issues, unless an apple store or certified repair tech is a ways away? Apple should be the first person you complain to when you have any issue when your machine is under warranty, thus you can rack up the aforementioned number of repairs.

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It really depends. If they just happen to have the same model unused then they would give you that first (though that's not going to be the case this far into current models). If they don't have any of the models, they will give you a comparable new model.

Furthermore, depending on who you talk to from Apple, they'll inform you that an upgraded model can be purchased for the difference in price. Though I don't know if that's always possible, or if it's only when the same models are still out.

AppleCare gives you three years total, so it gives an additional 2 to the 1 year you get by default. If you get a new machine, they would most likely transfer the AppleCare so that you would get the same amount of time as if nothing had happened. For example, if this happened at the end of the warranty you wouldn't get an additional year. At the very least you would get the 90 day warranty they give on replacement parts. They may also give the option to have your AppleCare refunded at a discounted price. I believe if you do that it allows you to purchase a compeltely new AppleCare for the new machine in order to get the full 3 years.

Also, when you say your Mac is "bowed", know that any physical damage (other than from normal wear and tear or a defect) voids Apple's warranty completely. Unless it's the ever-so-minor bowing from some of the Unibody machines that is noticable when it is closed.

11. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Apple will attempt to fix the computer before they replace it. Unless you have had multiple problems they will likely not replace it.

Call Apple and they will help you figure it out.

IF it is replaced, you will get the current market equivalent. They may let you upgrade and charge you for the upgrades, but I just brought mine into an Apple Store and traded up because I decided I wanted the higher specs after they shipped it.

Good Luck.

12. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

This was not my experience. I purchased a (midrange) 2.33 MBP back in 07 and it was replaced in 08 with an entry-level 2.4.

13. felt. macrumors 6502a

my 2.5 non unibody was replaced with 2.8 unibody

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's debatable/arguable but it doesn't necessarily mean that if you get a mid-entry MacBook Pro, you will be given a newer mid-level MacBook Pro. Apple usually replaces the old/defective one with another one that closely matches the one they're replacing.

15. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

What do you mean pay for the upgrade?
    Pay to upgrade to the current 17" model? The only difference is the 500gb harddrive and the GHz bump, right?

You say they would replace it with something equivalent, but when I bought this laptop it was about 3,200 total? (2,900 before tax I think.)
    And now they updated it and dropped it down to 2,500.

What do they mark as equivalent?

And when I say bowed I do mean the slight bow that is barely noticeable.
    I didn't do it to the laptop, I've done no harm to it whatsoever.
    I didn't really even notice the bowing until I put a case on it and the case just won't fit right, then I got a replacement case thinking it might have just been a defected case but it wasn't. That's enough reason for me to want a replacement bottom at the least.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You can terminate your Applecare and get it prorated at the daily rate minus any time already consumed up to that point.

17. nigameash macrumors 6502

i had apple replace my old 2.4ghz mbp 256mb 8600gt (07 june) with a new umbp 2.66ghz 256mb 9600gt (09 june). they gave me a machine with better specs in most cases and i got snow leopard for free. the only downside is that my l2 cache was 4mb on the old one and the new one only has 3mb :(

about the apple care on the old one- i was given 2 options. either transfer the remaining applecare to the new machine or get a pro-rata refund for the same. i opted for the refund :)

and since i had a matte display, i got that too. also when i bought the mac back in 07, apple remotes and the dvi adapters were also provided, so apple added those to the bundle too :)

so i am quite happy with the service :) :D

18. youssefm macrumors 6502

i just got this done today, but apple decided to replace my late 2008 alu. macbook with a white macbook ( which to me is inferior to the original unibodies) so i called and complained and they are replacing it witg the new low end mbp so i kinda got an upgrade.. as for applecare we still have to figure that out haha

19. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

not entirely true. i had the late 2008 2.4 ghz white macbook. it was the mid-range model at $1200. after 2 hard drive repairs, a screen repair, and a bad usb port, they offered to replace it in january 2009 (the unibody macbooks had come out) they first offered me the $1200 2.0 ghz model, but i told them that i wanted the 2.4 ghz model at no charge to match the processor. 2 minutes later, i left with the $1600 macbook.

20. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Apple replaces computers? My recent experience has been that they stall and keep fixing the same issues until your warranty runs out.

21. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah, I had to get a little gruff with them on the phone. They don't just do it out of the goodness of their heart. Honestly, they already have your money, I suppose they do it to keep you from spreading the truth of their impossible warranty exclusions blaming you for things out of your control due to poor design or manufacturing.

22. diamondgirl0017 macrumors newbie

Apple Macbook Pro Replacement Rip Off

I have a MBP with tons of problems...I spent $2,499 for the top tier in September 2007 with Apple Care...now they want to replace it with the bottom tier (they only had 2 price levels when I bought mine and I believe they added the bottom tier after the N'Vidia problems). Why would I accept a $1,699 MBP? So far I have spoken with supervisors and they won't budge. Also, people who did not buy Apple Care got either 1 or 2 years extended warranty which I paid $350 for! I refused their offer and when the updates arrive I will continue my fight for the upper tier laptop that I saved so long to buy. Did anyone else have this experience or did they replace your top tier with a top tier because then I would have proof. Thanks.

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Uhh you mean your old machine had a 8600 and they want to replace it with the one that's only 9400m and not 9400m + 9600m gt.

Yikes

Tell them you need a discreet graphics card like the one you had before because the 9400 is slower than the 8600. Tell them you will not accept a downgrade, and the proposed replacement will not work as good as the previous one.

24. diamondgirl0017 macrumors newbie

Thanks for pointing that out...

I didn't realize that, Thank God I didn't cave...the low end MBP is just a glorified MB...anyway I just read on here that the new bottom tier MBP will now cost $1,799 but I still feel entitled to the top tier replacement. People who bought the low end laptop got the same replacement as they offered me after I paid hundreds more...If I wanted the cheaper one I would have bought it. The new updates do sound exciting tho especially since mine isn't even a unibody. Thanks for the help Eds.