When did early adopters become so entitled?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kelub, Nov 12, 2015.

1. kelub macrumors regular

Maybe it's because I just watched American Horror Story last night where the entitled hipsters were complaining that the bathroom tile had a crack in it, or the Yelp episode of South Park I caught last week where everyone felt like it was their purpose in life to review everything, but these recent posts about how bad the new Apple TV is for them just blow my mind.

It wasn't that long ago the mainstream consumer would wait for a product to mature a bit before committing to a purchase. The early adopters who wanted the cutting edge technology were willing to sacrifice stability, functionality, and better value (i.e. lower cost) in exchange for being the first to own an item.

Today we have a forum full of outrage because a new device doesn't fulfill the buyer's every expectation. Where did these expectations come from? Apple never stated that the Apple TV 4 would support profiles, or that it would definitely work with the remote app on day 1, or that it would (enter entitled unmet expectation here.) It's not like they're over-promising at press release and under-delivering at product release. So how are these expectations being set?

I'm all for discussing shortcomings & wish lists of services or functionality; however, this isn't what's happening. The outrage is so full of hyperbole it's painting a picture of a completely failed product launch that isn't actually reflective of reality. If the device doesn't suit your needs, why is it necessary to come online and create a new thread that tonally suggests the product ruined your life?

For what it's worth, I have an Apple TV 4. I still have 3's in the house. I've had 2's. I've had a Roku.
    - The aTV 4 is a great product. It's a significant enhancement over the experience of the previous generation.
    - It has room for improvement, which will be possible via software updates.
    - None of its shortcomings are substantial enough to render it unusable.
    - I know of no competing device which overwhelmingly improves upon the experience I'm looking for.
    - I recognize that this is new hardware running new software, and therefore there may be anomalous issues which I will need to work around or through until a software fix is provided.
    - I am also grateful to be using a device which can be (and is) regularly updated via software - unlike, say, my car infotainment system and other technology solutions I've experienced both past and present.
    All of the angst surrounding early adoption has me pining for the days when only the fringe geeks and nerds bought the new stuff. If one catches fire or something, what level of angst will be left to escalate to since we're all so upset over keyboard layouts and game center profiles?

2. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

well said I couldn't agree more. I have 2 appleTV4's and am very impressed by the improvements over the previous models. I didn't expect perfection and never do with anything I buy. Take the good with the not so good and deal with it. If this is all we have to gripe about then boy are we a shallow society.

3. rkieru macrumors member

rkieru

For all that you've said here a solid argument can be made for the opposite. Why is it 'entitled' to ask that glaring bugs be corrected prior to releasing the product to the public? Why is it 'entitled' to point out relevant emerging technology that the hardware could fully support (4k) but which Apple refuses to allow?

Why is it "entitled" to bring these issues up in a legitimate and honest fashion? When did we reach a point where consumers were not permitted to be critical of the products they support? Why can we not have both? Why can I not support the Apple TV, but recognize the flaws in the initial release?

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

For goodness' sake; it's even missing features found in the previous model. It has Bluetooth 4.0, HDMI 1.4, no separate audio out, no gigabit ethernet, a fragile, sucky remote, no keyboard support, virtually no controller support, and I haven't even mentioned the software.

Apple has professed this to be the product of a lot of work over a long time. Sounds like that company is in dire need of restructuring.

5. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Agree 100% plus this is NOT a first generation device. By my count this is the 4th generation and should be a lot more polished and complete.

6. watermelonbook macrumors regular

I expect nothing less from Apple. As the #1 American company,
    Apple must set its bar higher than anybody else. Anything less,
    they should become a no-name Chinese company that sells $4.99
    items exclusively on eBay.

Boeing, Apple, McDonald's, Coca-Cola and even Costco make me
    proud to be an American whenever I travel overseas. :)

7. Carmenia83, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

Four generations is an early adopter? Get real. The Apple TV came out in 2006. This is a product line that has "matured" for 9 years. The Macbook Pro debuted in 2006 as well. Are you an early adopter if you just bought one of those too?

8. chiwaw, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

chiwaw macrumors member

chiwaw

All complaining are normal, even healthy. Especially at a company like Apple.

What IS funny tho is the crazy level of emotional distress displayed by a few people over what really are trivial irritations for a trivial device. You'd swear they spent all their retirement funds on a Ferrari and received a beat up 1989 Nissan.

It's only a streamer. A small $150 plastic box in a product category with pretty good alternatives, most of them costing around $100 a pop and some even much less. It's merely a GUI to pick a movie to watch on Netflix, or maybe play a freemium game.

But sure OMG THAT WHITE BACKGROUND WHERE'S MY XANAX???? :p

9. watermelonbook macrumors regular

First Amendment guarantees my right to complain and/or bitch about new Apple products.

Second Amendment guarantees my right to lawfully carry my beloved Glock.

I think I also have the right to go out to an empty field and use my Glock to shoot the Apple product that I hate. (at my own expense, of course)

10. HobeSoundDarryl, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Apparently if you bought the Macbook, yes. And you d*mned better love it exactly as Apple made it... and you're stupid if you can't love the elegant mastery of a single port called USB3C... and you're likely a "troll" or <competitor> shill if you can come up with a single, negative thing to say about it. And with that MB, quit your d*amned whining about having to buy an highly-profitable adapter to get commonly-needed ports and then carry that with you so you have those ports when you need them (but don't you dare count that separate device as part of the amazing "lighter" weight of the new MB).

The golden rule: whatever Apple rolls out... however Apple chooses to roll it out... is perfection. If Apple leaves something out, nobody needs that something (because "I" don't need that something... and "I" don't need that something because Apple tells me so by not building it into the new product being discussed. As soon as they do build it, "I" must have it... and then it's perfection... and you're stupid for not desperately wanting it too.

Jokes aside: I wish both extremes groups would form their own websites: OnlyPostiveAppleComments.com and OnlyNegativeAppleComments.com and see how successful either would be with thread after thread full of 500 posts of "rah rah Apple" or 500 posts of "pooh pooh Apple". If either group got that oft-sought wish here, this place seems like it would get very boring, very fast. The more objective crowd in the middle that can actually "think different" such that they do not blindly tow the company line nor consistently bash every detail tends to- IMO- post the most interesting thoughts, comments, crits and praise. At least for me, I tend to learn more from those that can "rah rah" AND "pooh pooh" than I ever learn from those who can only go one way or the other.

Use your new iPhone to film it in 4K or it didn't happen. But then, good luck being able to prove it by playing that 4K on a 4K TV. 4K video down-converted to 1080p doesn't count. ;)

Attention ADF: Really ;)

No really, really ;)

11. cynics macrumors G4

I agree! How dare those entitled decadent elitist! Spend their hard earned money on a product and come here to point out its flaws and bugs! Just who the hell do they think they are!?

It just makes me so mad I can picture it now, Joe Blow Beta Tester walking into an Apple Store expecting a product that works 100%. Where does this capitalist pig get off!? Argh!

12. watermelonbook macrumors regular

???

Oh great... I guess I can't prove it then...

All the computers/laptops in my home are Macs... plus two iPads. I also have 3 ATV3s and 1 ATV4.

However, I have owned over 10 smartphones: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, 3, 4,5 and S3, S4, S5, S6(Edge).

I've never owned an iPhone. I guess 4k video shot on my Note 5 doesn't count? :(

13. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Came here to say this.

14. HobeSoundDarryl, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I was kidding. The ADF message was not aimed at you but at those who tend to jump to the defense of Apple when the 4K issue comes up. It fit your post to reference it but then make it clear I was joking for the ADF.

15. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

It's entitled because very few have 4K TV's, and there is even fewer content available. We haven't even begun to talk about how only 1 in 5 people can actually stream in 4K. it's even worse if you live in Kentucky, Hawaii or Arkansas, where less than 10 percent of the population have connection speeds of 15Mbps or more. Apple is not going to make people pay extra for something that most people won't even use.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/01/07/4k-tvs-much-ado-about-nothing.html

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

show up on the screen?

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/at4-setup-out-of-range.1935442/

:rolleyes:

17. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I wouldn't normally argue this except...the iPhone 6s/6s Plus. Actually you can make the same argument against the 6s or 6s Plus NOT having 4K recording capabilities. Yet Apple decided to give us the capability to record in 4K but no way to watch it unless we buy the latest 4K/5K iMacs. I'm not likely to spend ~$2500++ just to watch my 4K iPhone videos but I would certainly spend $150-$200 to do the same thing.

As it stands I'm passing on this version of the Applt TV for now. Let's see what future tvOS updates give us.

18. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

As of last year there were over 20 smartphones the had 4k video. I'm sure the reasoning to add it to the 6s had something to do with that fact. You can buy a 4K TV for 450.00 these days.

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Exactly!! So why not give us 4K capabilities in the Apple TV?

20. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I'm of the opinion that those of us that had ATV3s or 2s aren't exactly "entitled" when addressing some pretty glaring issues with ATV4. I knew that the new tvOS would change some things but I didn't realize that it would entirely omit features on older ATV versions. For me, the biggest issues were no Remote app connectivity, constant dropping and resetting on the ATV4 when home sharing, no Bluetooth keyboard support, and basic settings issues. Siri I knew was going to be pretty limited as well as app support. I ended up returning my ATV4 units to Apple for the current time until they get more of the existing functions built back into ATV4. It just feels like they dialed back the ATV4 too much in terms of functionality in order to get new features and the new tvOS. While it may be a great direction to head in the future, the current state of ATV4 is unusable to me. For many, it will be a great streaming box but again, this is down to personal preference.

21. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

For the record I'm not upset, outraged or emotionally distressed. I just disagree with you.

Software updates. The ATV4 IS the update. We had 1, then 2 then 3. None of those got any significant feature updates via software as far as I recall. What they got, was a replacement. I might need to argue the definition of significant, but of the issues I've seen posted here many of them would require an investment from Apple dwarfing anything they have provided in the past.

If you look back a couple of years you will find posters confident that the then new ATV3 was designed to support an App Store and that a software update would enable it. Oops.

I think owners of the ATV 4. (I am not one) have every right to review the device for what it is, and for what Apple told us it would be, and not for what somebody on the internet claims it will be at some unspecified future time.

In addition, software updates aren't going to fix the fragile remote, the extra $13 for a strap, the ludicrous replacement cost, the absolute pettiness of charging $20 extra for an HDMI cable, the extra expense of an optical audio adapter, and the absurd extra expense of you want a proper controller for games. Those are items which demonstrate the generosity of Apple's mood these days and should clue you in on what to expect from their software updates.

22. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I love both of my ATV4's, but I wouldn't exactly call anyone buying it an early adopter. Apple has had time to get this right. I have zero complaints with mine and love the increased functionality and look forward to enhancements to come. The only thing I agree with when it comes to the complainers is that functionality that was there in the ATV3 should probably be there in the ATV4 (keyboard support, remote app). Hopefully they are addressed.

23. rkieru macrumors member

rkieru

On the subject of 4K support... the 4th Generation Apple TV uses HDMI 1.4... which technically supports 4K video. That means that the inability of the Apple TV to process 4K videos is purposeful and likely disabled via software. Now there are a couple of theories on this:
    • iTunes doesn't support 4K; so Apple doesn't want it on their aTV (for now)
    • HDMI 1.4 isn't up to snuff for 4K; so Apple doesn't want you using it and then blaming the low FPS on the device
    • Apple doesn't feel 4K is 'mature' enough to warrant support
    • Planned obsolescence (ie. Upgrade to the Apple TV 5; with 4K Video Support Summer 2017!)
    In literally every above scenario Apple is making a decision for you- disregarding that you may already own a 4K tv and may have access to your own 4K-compatible videos. Apple has decided you should not watch videos in this format and has locked you out of the option to choose otherwise, despite offering you hardware that should be capable of handling 4K.

Now lacking a 4K television I have no horse in this race... but I can certainly appreciate people who do have 4K-compatible devices finding themselves upset that Apple has made this decision on their behalf.

24. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Again, for the hundredth time (you might want to write this down) there is little content to watch with them.

25. rkieru macrumors member

rkieru

Content availability would be a strong argument against their releasing a device capable of 4K playback. But the hardware in the ATV4 is fully capable of 4K support; it's just disabled via software. So... why? If the device is already able to support 4K why take the extra steps to disable that support?

Why purposefully disable support for emerging tech when the device has native support for it via the hardware? "Lack of Content" isn't a good argument for that decision.