When is Apple Watch 2 coming?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kcellup, Jan 17, 2016.

?

When will we see a new Apple watch?

1. March 2016

23 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. September 2016

57 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. 2017 sometime

19 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. Never

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

... I was waiting for March, now I don't know what to do!

2. shandyman Suspended

No-one knows for sure. Considering Macrumors reckoned some people were hired the other month to work on the Apple Watch 2, if correct, means it cannot be any time soon. Though they could be hired for the Apple Watch 3, with a minor upgrade being the Apple Watch 2 this year.

It's all just guess work until Apple announce it. Seeing as there's no parts leaked out yet, I doubt March is likely.

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm thinking September alongside the iPhone 7

4. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I would of thought September 2017, based on nothing what so ever. :D

5. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

By the time a new Apple product is released, they're already working on the next generation. E.g., they most likely have already started working on the iPhone 7 when the iPhone 6s debuted.

They may be additional staff so it doesn't mean much.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm thinking 2017, as there's little reason to roll out a new version this year. I think an every other year cycle appears to be better suited for the watch - just my $.02

8. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Nobody knows and nobody can tell you.

9. shandyman Suspended

Yea, so basically what I said, just worded differently.

10. kcellup thread starter macrumors regular

kcellup

After speaking with an Apple employee today (who admit they really know nothing about a release, nor did I expect them to), they did make a couple good points. First, for those who went out and spend the big bucks for the edition, why would apple want to tick of the ones who spent the most money by having a new release one year later!? Secondly, why would a second large release be announced along side their primary product? If they want to develop a new top seller with the apple watch, march releases make the most sense. If people had to choose between an iPhone 7 and Apple Watch 2, what do you think would win?? So most likely a 2-yr cycle (maybe later for later models) in March. So I pulled the trigger and ordered a Sport from Target, who still offers $100 off btw, and will just hope and pray that apple doesn't pull a fast one on me and I waste my $299!

11. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I think the lesson for potential buyers should be the following: if there are rumors for a new model AND there are also credible part leaks, then release is only a couple of months away. But if there are no part leaks, then release is at least 6 months away, potentially one year away.

I'm glad I picked one up for $250 in Best Buy back in November. Now I'm thinking whether the stores are regretting having discounted it for $100 because they thought the new one was only a couple of months from being released :D

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The first point is actually a poor one. Customers who buy the Edition can easily afford a new one on a yearly basis. It's not something you save up that you buy once and have it work for the rest of your life (as is the case with a Rolex, etc.). In fact, purchasing multiple Editons is a drop in the bucket for the uber-rich.

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

How will a newer model break the one you have?

14. kcellup thread starter macrumors regular

kcellup

Well it won't break it, but I like to try to be up to date with my tech purchases, and then use them for at least a couple years. Don't like to be on the downside of a cycle, just personal preference.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So that excludes the iPhone since they release a new model on a yearly basis and you can't go a couple of years and still have the latest.

16. kcellup thread starter macrumors regular

kcellup

Well I have an unlimited data 2 year plan that coincides with the s cycle so every other year i get a first round release

17. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm still sticking with "Tuesday". ;-p

19. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

i was also hoping for March 2016 but there are some other rumors on the internet.

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't think Apple with launch a new watch until watchOS 3 is finished with a beta cycle, because I can't foresee this happening until WWDC 2016 I'm gonna say September along side the iPhone 7. I do expect to see a new watch this year.

21. shandyman Suspended

No chance. We would have seen parts leak by now.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't see Apple launching the iPhone 7 and Apple Watch 2 at the same event. More people are talking about the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 being removed than the Apple watch. The Watch needs its own event in my opinion so that people do not forget about its existence.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Very good point, I hadn't thought of this.

24. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

yeah. i am in a fix now. whether i should buy the first gen or not.