When is the next update?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xWhiplash, Feb 17, 2010.

1. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Does anybody have any clue when the next update will be? I really need a new computer since mine is annoying me. Should I wait for a Mac Pro, or should I just go ahead and get an iMac instead? I would like to get one now, but the iMac is MUCH better and MUCH cheaper right now.

I could use one in the next month or two if that helps.

2. CCK macrumors member

March 16th has come up as a possible date on the web but...
    I'm in the same boat, but an imac won't work for me.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Any time from tomorrow through June. Probably sooner than later.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've seen March 16th, 2010 as the release date from Intel as to the next line of processors. Assuming Apple has actually followed their recent history with Intel, they'd have early access to certain parts (those they chose to use).

I'd think that means that there will be an announcement soon, with systems to ship in say March or April before any other vendor could possibly do so, as they didn't have access to the parts yet (save Engineering Samples to use for testing their designs).

5. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Considering I am brand new to the mac systems (earliest I purchases was late 2008 iMac models and I was not interested in the Mac Pro at that point), do you think there will be a price drop? Or will there be at least a major increase between the i7 iMac and the new Mac Pros?

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If anything, the price will go up for even less performance. Unless Apple completely turns their perspective around, the '08s will remain the best value.

7. ditosou macrumors member

hummm

there is another thread with this subject... The unofficial "I'm Waiting for Arrandale" thread.... you have 10.000 messages to read :)

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Arrandale is a mobile platform, he is talking about the Mac Pro release, which will use Gulftown.

9. ditosou macrumors member

hummmmm

sorry.... you are right. The "pro" is not there but I see it everywhere :)

10. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

So an iMac would be better in the long run?

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It really depends on your usage of the machine, which I'm sure you've heard before. The bottom line is that you shouldn't get one is you don't depend on the upgradability or are planning for an 8-core model for heavy use, at least with the '09 MPs. That might change if the prices go down, but at the going rate, you are getting a much better value in the iMac than the baseline quad.

12. smacman macrumors 6502

That is a bit of an exaggeration isn't it? The 08 machines were definitely the best value on the Mac Pro line to date, but the 09 machines did offer improvements (at too much of a cost) in the CPU and memory department. The 2010 models will likely expand on this.

13. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

??? what about 2006??

14. mac88 macrumors 6502

I totally agree with you. The 08 models were far better than the 09 version. If the 2010 models don't offer something of an upgrade on the 09, I would definitely consider buying an 08 refurbished. I'll just wait and see.

15. smacman macrumors 6502

Great machines, but EFI64 on the 08 models makes it the best value yet in my opinion.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

The 32 bit EFI firmware takes some of the value away from it.

Since Apple is no longer willing to support those systems (already a problem for graphics card updates, and will be in the near future for OS releases), it takes some of the value away from them (less attractive in the used system market for those that realize these issues exist).

They're still quite capable systems for Windows or Linux, just not much longer for OS X (assuming the latest version is desired). If a user can use an older copy (contains K32), its still fine as well (especially those with Quad core CPU's).

Dual core CPU models, not so much IMO, as what's spent in the used market can be put towards a much better system, such as an '08. Not that much more $$$ (assuming the seller isn't insane), but you end up with much more computer and the ability to retain it for longer.

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

and do you know for sure that Apple is not going to support EFI32 in the next OSX revision ?
    I don't think so ...

EFI32 is a problem for video card upgrade, so far ...

18. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

Who knows? Apple has historically been known for dropping support of older hardware and software; leaving old users isolated from new features/upgrades.

It's entirely possible that OS X 10.7 will not support EFI32.

19. mif macrumors regular

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Apple announced they're going to be dropping K32 support shortly after SL shipped (MR front page at the time). They don't like supporting interim products, (K32 + K64 OS is such a product), and it will happen soon. So either 10.7 or 10.8 at the latest, which isn't that far off.

As you already state (and is proven), EFI32 is already a problem for graphics card upgrades (ceased support on those systems for using the latest cards). So why does it seem unreasonable to you that they'll drop support for K32 in the near future?

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I can see a 10.8 without EFI32 support, but definitely not in the 10.7
    So we are speaking of another 2 years (at least, maybe 3) of full support.
    It's perfectly acceptable for a 2006's computer, in my opinion

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's not bad for OS support (say 6yrs total from the initial release date of the '06 MP's), but the lack of graphics card support that exists already is a real problem. The reason is simple; it can prevent such systems from being used through that period (OS support).

It's causing problems for some already, and the stock graphics cards could die out before the OS support ceases (some already have according to posts on the forum, and may be the instigating cause for wanting a new card).

23. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

We need to remember who we are discussing, it has never been unlike Apple to force semi-recent computers into obsoleteness. They have already abandoned most 2006 computers in terms of hardware, the next logical step comes through software updates. Assuming Apple cares about anything but forcing people to buy new computers is ignorant :p

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

I see it as two-fold, one reinforcing the other. Support = additional expense, and not providing it for long saves them money. That lack of support can also effectively force users to buy newer systems (even if it means doing so by artificial means).

It allows them to save money on one end, and obtain additional profits on the other, both increasing the bottom line. Great for Apple, but horrible for users. The only thing a user can do, is to vote with thier wallet. Only then will Apple get the message (maybe, as their focus is shifting to consumer devices - primarily the portable gadget arena as of late, given the emphasis on the iPhone, iPad and iPod).

25. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Only because Apple wont support it?

Got it. The hardware is fine, but Apple is about to break the software (for no reason).

If 10.7 comes out in 2011, the 2006 model will have only lasted 5 years. That's why it's a bad value?

But how do you know in 2013 Apple wont break the 2008 mac pros?

The statement I was arguing with was "X model was the best value mac pro when it was released." I think the 2006 was certainly up there. I remember trying to find equivalent home-builts that barely stacked up for that price.