Carrier WHEN IS VERIZON GETTING WIFI CALLING?

mbaran

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Interestingly enough Verizon supports WiFi texting, but only on Android devices.

I too wish for WiFi calling, ditch my Microcell

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
LMAO. I love all the customers justifying Verizon's actions by saying I don't need it. I didn't realize Verizon's Kool-Aid was stronger than Apple's.
Same people that were first saying verizon doesn't need the iPhone.
Then when they got the iPhone that talk and use data is not needed again.
Now wifi calling again is not needed cause Verizon it's simply amazing. They get signal in Mars near the water flowing deposits found there:D

Reactions: nj1266

reptarwilleatu

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
this is exactly why i'm moving to T-Mobile come the new year when my damn contract is finally up. it's just nice to know WiFi Calling will be there if the circumstances present themselves. between T-Mobile already supporting WiFi Calling and their Music Freedom program, i could care less that their coverage isn't nearly like Verizon's.

does T-Mobile support VoLTE? or do they not have it anywhere since they have WiFi Calling?

Reactions: Applejuiced

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
this is exactly why i'm moving to T-Mobile come the new year when my damn contract is finally up. it's just nice to know WiFi Calling will be there if the circumstances present themselves. between T-Mobile already supporting WiFi Calling and their Music Freedom program, i could care less that their coverage isn't nearly like Verizon's.

does T-Mobile support VoLTE? or do they not have it anywhere since they have WiFi Calling?
T-Mobile is in the process of rolling out VoLTE. You probably have it if you live in an area with a big population. However, VoLTE won't make as much of a difference since T-Mobile uses GSM and therefore can already do Voice+Data at the same time. The only benefit would be higher quality calls.

jmwils1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
I live in a dead zone for Verizon. Literally 1/4 mile from the house I get 4-5bars LTE on Verizon. In my yard I get 1-2bars. Inside I get 1 bar LTE or 3 bars 3G. Sometimes I see 1x. I bought a Verizon microcell. It randomly shuts off and would slow traffic on my network even when not in use. Plus the GPS antenna is so weak it has to basically be in a window to get a signal.

I similarly have poor reception for ATT. My in-laws have ATT so we got an ATT microcell for them. I can keep that microcell anywhere and no problems with GPS. It runs for months at a time without any problems. I've had ATT in the past and had so many issues with billing and customer service, we switched to Verizon. I would never go back to ATT.

If Verizon doesn't get wifi calling in the next 6 months, I'll find a different provider. I guess Tmobile is next.

Reactions: ohio.emt

JakeT85

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
They're probably trying to figure out a way to charge you for it.
Most likely a $20 a month surcharge or some other slimy way to nickel and dime you while they increase profits.
The usual Verizon way. Bend over customers:D
I can see it now. You have to buy a special router from them for it to work for $199.00 that then doubles back and tracks all of your browsing at home for their ad network.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Verizon stated recently as a shot at Tmobile that they weren't planning on implementing wifi calling because according to them, their network is stable enough and has enough coverage to not need wifi calling. Instead, they are investing in VOLTE, XLTE, and 5G.
Umm, at home. I have a weak 4g signal outside and in my 1930s apartment it drops to 1x and sometimes 0 bars. Wifi calling would help me here and also when I travel for work and have no plans on going back to a specific country and therefore do not want to buy a local sim to make a few calls.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Verizon stated recently as a shot at Tmobile that they weren't planning on implementing wifi calling because according to them, their network is stable enough and has enough coverage to not need wifi calling. Instead, they are investing in VOLTE, XLTE, and 5G.
Funny! At the house we were in last year, they had to send my husband a micro cell because there is no service in that house in the middle of well populated area. We are in Los Angeles County. Also, it would help in the hills above Beverly Hills where there are few towers and most everyone has dead zones crossing from the San Fenrnando Valley to the Westside.

Maybe people who think there is no need have never lived in a city with mountains and canyons... People's houses are in those areas.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I live in a dead zone for Verizon. Literally 1/4 mile from the house I get 4-5bars LTE on Verizon. In my yard I get 1-2bars. Inside I get 1 bar LTE or 3 bars 3G. Sometimes I see 1x. I bought a Verizon microcell. It randomly shuts off and would slow traffic on my network even when not in use. Plus the GPS antenna is so weak it has to basically be in a window to get a signal.

I similarly have poor reception for ATT. My in-laws have ATT so we got an ATT microcell for them. I can keep that microcell anywhere and no problems with GPS. It runs for months at a time without any problems. I've had ATT in the past and had so many issues with billing and customer service, we switched to Verizon. I would never go back to ATT.

If Verizon doesn't get wifi calling in the next 6 months, I'll find a different provider. I guess Tmobile is next.
Our Att microcell was so much easier than our VeriZon Microcell. Not sure why. I prefer wifi calling tremendously already because I can extend my wifi range in my house much easier than the microcell. Once it drops off your are out of luck. The microcells can't cover the houses we have lived in. I could only talk in certain rooms.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
LMAO. I love all the customers justifying Verizon's actions by saying I don't need it. I didn't realize Verizon's Kool-Aid was stronger than Apple's.
Seriously! Hilarious!! I sort of wonder where these people live that they can't fathom someone having wifi...and gasp...no Verizon coverage.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I feel like I read somewhere that said Verizon was planning on rolling it out at some point, but it wasn't a top priority.

But really, things like this are why I hate Verizon. They treat their customers like absolute garbage, they sniff out any little penny they can scrape out of customers pockets, and the way they've been doing things lately is just.. Confusing. They're literally doing nothing to attract new customers. What, change your plans and make it out that your customers are stupid? Raise your prices even more? Then do a whole lot more nothing? They are literally using their lack of Wi-Fi calling as a bragging point! Why!?! That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. So, Verizon, you're *proud* that that "awful" carrier "T-Mobile" (which, for the record, is stealing a lot of your customers) can cover somewhere that you can't?

It's the arrogance. I truly do not understand why Verizon, the company that constantly brags about how it has the best coverage, is going out of their way to AVOID adding a HUGE expansion to their coverage all at once.

Verizon, just stop.

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
I wirk kn an Army base, in the basement....i would live wifi calling. But if I have wifi calling, do I have wifi enabled texting?

Supermallet

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2014
I feel like I read somewhere that said Verizon was planning on rolling it out at some point, but it wasn't a top priority.

But really, things like this are why I hate Verizon. They treat their customers like absolute garbage, they sniff out any little penny they can scrape out of customers pockets, and the way they've been doing things lately is just.. Confusing. They're literally doing nothing to attract new customers. What, change your plans and make it out that your customers are stupid? Raise your prices even more? Then do a whole lot more nothing? They are literally using their lack of Wi-Fi calling as a bragging point! Why!?! That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. So, Verizon, you're *proud* that that "awful" carrier "T-Mobile" (which, for the record, is stealing a lot of your customers) can cover somewhere that you can't?

It's the arrogance. I truly do not understand why Verizon, the company that constantly brags about how it has the best coverage, is going out of their way to AVOID adding a HUGE expansion to their coverage all at once.

Verizon, just stop.
They don't really think the lack of wifi calling is a bragging point. They're just trying to counter the press from T-Mobile with some PR spin.

Now personally, I'd rather they spent their resources on LTE-A, but with a company that big and that profitable, there's no reason they can't work on both simultaneously.

trife

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2012
This.

I can't understand folks downplaying a feature that would HELP them in a pinch if they needed it. It's laughable.

If you never used it, great. If you needed it in a rare situation, it'd be awesome to have.

My prediction is that Verizon will break eventually. They always do.

Nacket

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I go to school in Flagstaff, AZ and cellular service can be pretty temperamental at times. There'll be times when I can barely get decent 3G speeds or where VoLTE and 1x voice service are both giving me cut outs and dropped calls. I would benefit greatly from Wi-Fi calling. This is definitely a YMMV feature

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
A few months ago I wouldn't have cared, but ever since I moved to my new house I only get 1-2 bars of LTE. I moved to a weak spot in town, unfortunately (in most other parts of town I usually get at least 3 bars; weirdly enough, I'm closer to the interstate now!). My fiancé had to get a microcell for T-Mobile, but he just upgraded to the 6s and should be getting band 12 in our area. Wifi calling would be nice, but Verizon is also working with the city government to put in a new tower which might help anyway.

dfran1

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
What's VoLTE? VoLTE is exactly what it sounds like: voice services over a 4G LTE data network

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main difference between VoIP and VoLTE is the technology it uses. VoIP is based on any web-based transfer of data, such as 3G, WiFi and ADSL, which are widespread and easy to access. For modern smartphones, this is powerful technology with very few barriers to entry, meaning developers can add VoIP easily.

VoLTE takes advantage of new LTE technologies and the 4G network, and whilst it does offer faster bandwidth and speed, it is still in its infancy and has yet to be fully rolled out, and so is not as widespread as VoIP. It is optimized for modern smartphones and the next generation of data technology.

-------Taken from the same link above-----------

PERFORMANCE
VoIP has a great legacy and powers some of the most popular apps on the market today (WhatsApp, WeChat, etc), but its quality relies on the type of connection between sender and receiver.

Signals Research, a large research group that specialize on wireless communications research, tested VoLTE against standard 3G data technologies and found that VoLTE offered

“…considerably better call quality, faster connectivity and substantially less drain on the batteries of their mobile devices.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first 2 are links to their sources (click on their text)
I have used plenty of VIOP apps in the past with 3g and all I can say is they work bad to fair, depending on you data (cell) connection, BUT volte I have used for the past year, the first few months were rocky, but after those 2 months it works really great, and still does.

I don't know why any carrier would invest in VIOP with 3g or slower technology.

I have Verizon, but next year maybe T-Mobile.

Last edited: