Carrier WHEN IS VERIZON GETTING WIFI CALLING?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jack 011, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I hope Verizon loses more customers over this. Their pompous attitude is disgusting.

2. Beeray macrumors regular

Not 100% true, you have to be on certain plans. I tried that with the Nationwide 2000 minute plan and I was told that I am not eligible for the that service.

3. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

This really isn't quite the same thing.

This doesn't seem handle incoming calls and you have to open the messages + app in order to make a call.

4. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

They won't, trust me. I have no intention of leaving at this point.

5. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

They will lose my wife over this. She has Verizon and I use AT&T. I just got WiFi calling activated in my area and it's unreal. Neither of us have more than one bar at our home and cell service here is useless for all companies.
    Don't know why, it's just one of those areas where cell service sucks for everyone. I see people all over the neighborhood standing in their driveways on their cell phones. Can't believe they are refusing to implement it!!

Thinking about putting up a sign, AT&T now has WiFi calling in this area and it's awesome.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Didn't realize this won't handle incoming calls. Certainly quite a ways off from WiFi calling support that other carriers have.

7. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I tried to get even the outbound calling With the message+ app working with my iPhone 5s, I can't turn it on as far as I can tell. It makes it even more useless. (Of course, I can't get wifi calling on AT&T either without a phone upgrade from my 5s.)

I need to wait until the android phones get wifi calling on AT&T baked in to the OS as well (I use an iPhone, my wife uses android) then I will be able to justify the switch away from Verizon. Both of our contracts are already expired.

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I saw a few posts back that Verizon said by EOY. Does anyone have a source for that? Seems like the Messenger+ is a work around, but I would much prefer to have it seamless like Apple intended it.

9. adamhenry, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

"Verizon CFO, Fran Shammo, said last year that Verizon would enable WiFi calling by the middle of 2015 and Verizon stated earlier this year that they were still on track to enable WiFi calling on their networks by end of 2015." quoted from: http://www.spotonnetworks.com/category/wifi-calling/

ETA: Further down on the same page is this gem: "We have also heard through the rumor mill that Verizon is beta testing WiFi calling with a few select customers." Anybody know any VZW wifi calling testers?

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Yeah, it only seems to work with some phones, mainly those that support VoLTE it seems.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

More of the same here: http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...arget-date-launching-wi-fi-calling/2015-10-12

12. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

As I'm typing this on my iPad, I'm in the middle of a Wi-Fi call while my T-Mobile iPhone charges in the other room. It's so convenient, and that's something Verizon does not care about. I would switch right away if I heard they weren't going to implement Wi-Fi calling because they think their network is so great. I switched because I was tired of the dead zones in their Swiss cheese network where I frequently went.

You also have to realize though that if they don't implement it, that's just another part of manufacturer's software that Verizon is locking their customers out of. Apple, Samsung, LG, pretty much all of them make their phones Wi-Fi calling capable now. That would piss me off even more, almighty Verizon says I don't need something the manufacturers put in their phones.

13. yg17, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You do not need a lot of bandwidth for Wifi calling. I used T-Mobile Wifi calling from my hotel's wifi in Australia that I don't think had more than 500kbps in either direction and it worked flawlessly. Voice, especially at telephone quality, is very low bit rate.

I signed up for T-Mobile the same day I put in my two weeks notice at AT&T a couple months ago. The employee discount was nice, and made them the cheapest, and their service was good in my area. But T-Mobile is just as good and a lot cheaper than AT&T without my discount. It's nice not having an obligation to a cell company anymore. I no longer have to stick with them if there are better alternatives or feel like I have to defend them when they do something stupid.

Same goes for U-verse. I'm going to keep my service (albeit scale it back, don't need 450 channels if I have to pay full price) simply because Charter is awful, but I'll no longer feel obligated to keep U-verse if Charter improves their service or a Google Fiber ever becomes available.

14. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

Of course it handles incoming calls. Tested it many times.

15. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I have the app on my ipad. Leaving the app running will send a notification when the call comes in and you can answer as needed. I tested this by turning off my iphone and then dialing my number. While not the same exact thing as wifi calling, it's fairly good and a slick app.

16. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Got it, but I hope that isn't the final solution with Verizon.

17. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I'm tempted to get money and say that it is. That's it. This is their solution.

18. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

I would bet that it is not. They have done all of the hard work that has to be done on the integration of the wifi calls into the network. All that is left is the programming in the phone.

19. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Great point. Not sure what is entailed in getting the network ready, but I really hope you're correct.

20. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

22. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

9to5 just did a story saying Verizon was asking the FCC for a waiver to allow WiFi calling (similar to what AT&T did). Does anyone know how long it took for AT&T receive approval? How about how long it took AT&T to implement once they received approval?

Side Note: Called Tech support yesterday to complain about dropped calls in my house on the Network Extender and iPhone 6S. I asked if there were plans for WiFI calling - he responded. Well some of the service operators has rolled out WiFi calling to supplement their lack of coverage. I actually laughed and responded, you realize that is why I'm calling you - lack of coverage.

23. mbaran macrumors regular

I think ATT moved pretty quickly from announcement to rollout.

On your side note: the 3G Network Extender is the biggest piece of garbage to ever exist. 7 out of 10 calls end up with "Welcome to Verizon Wireless, your call could not be completed as dialed"

I've almost thrown it out the window more times than I care to admit.

24. willmtaylor macrumors G4

willmtaylor

I talked to a rep just to see if they knew anything. She tried to tell me 3 different times that it was Advanced Calling 1.0 and VoLTE (which answered my question that she had no idea). 10 minutes later, she admitted that they had no information regarding wifi calling.

25. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I've had mine since 2009 and rarely have had issues with it.