when: MBP redesign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

when do you think the mbp will get a case redesign and what will it be? will apple remove the optical drive?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not anytime soon, I guess 2012-2013. Optical drive won't be removed, it's still needed in troubleshooting and some people actually use it

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

No one here knows, Apple doesn't publish that information so anything you get is a WAG.

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I think we won't see any mayor design change in 2 or 3 years. As for the optibay, I doubt Apple will remove it.

5. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

+1

They probably won't change the design until a new chip is released. And even then we may not see a huge change.
    It's all Apple's call but I think most people, including Apple, love the functionality and design of the current Pros. There is no need to invest in a redesign right now.

And I'm sure no one here knows. For all we know, Apple could release a new MBP tomorrow that's redesigned and can make you a sandwich while flying to work or school. ;)

6. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Its still the best designed laptop body on the market, can't see them changing it anytime soon. You only have to look at the nastiness that is the HP envy to see the competition can't even match it after 2.5 years.

7. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

you dont think apple will remove optical drive
    1) macbook air
    2) sd card there were articles out when sd went into mbp about the death of optical drive
    3) more room for battery.

8. bier-meister macrumors regular

Prob be at least 2 years.

Would be nice if they did remove it or have it like the air has. I've used it twice in the last 2 years, once to upgrade to snow leopard and second to upgrade iLife. Nothing that a download could have done. Wasted space and extra weight that could be better utilised. But I guess there are still a few people who use it, but everyone used to use a floppy not so long ago!

9. demonsavatar macrumors regular

I think optical drive will stick around in 15-17" models for a while longer, but I could see them removing it in the 13" though.

Remember steve jobs latest comment on why there will not be Blu-Ray support coming anytime soon to Macs? He said physical media is dying...

Anyway, complete redesign? Not until 2012 at least I'm guessing.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would be fine if they took out the drive, installed a bigger battery and gave a free external drive. :)
    Is that reasonable or am I just asking for too much?
    :apple:

11. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I can see the MBP 13''s optical drive being removed, as an option to increase the size for a dedicated graphic's card. However, if I was to bet on what's going to happen, I think the optical drive is more likely to be staying.

In case it IS removed, I seriously doubt Apple will give a free external drive, and I also doubt it'll increase the battery significantly more. Apple already has 7~10 hours of battery life. It doesn't need more to be ahead of the competition. What it needs now, is the space to put a fine processor and a fine graphic's card, like the Vaio Z.

12. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I use it almost everyday.

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I would bet they will start refreshing the chassis at least every two refreshes or so. The redesigns won't be as drastic as the old chassis to the current one, but Apple will need to keep up with their competition now that they are "running with the big dogs". I wouldn't be shocked if they did it for the next refresh.

Look at the iMac refresh even - they change wasn't drastic, but kept it more up to date.

14. wschutz macrumors 6502

Probably the new design will imply that external optical drive but a thinner and lighter case... more battery and who knows... maybe a second internal hard-drive ;)
    But as you say... it won't happen till 2012 :D

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. There is simply no space for SuperDrive in MBA

2. Can you get movies or software in SD card? No. It's only useful for photographers and possibly file transfer but you can't get any content in SD card, it's all in DVD or Blu-Ray

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ This. I think what people need to understand is they took away the floppy but left us with something else that took removable media. I don't see a way to remove the optical drive without giving us something else. Perhaps the SD slot can replace the optical drive one day. :D

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Indeed. If industry would just move towards SD cards instead of Blu-Ray and DVD. SD cards offer huge capacities and AFAIK, there are no expensive licensing with SD like there is with Blu-Ray. Sony just pulled the trigger and made deals with industries and now dominate the market. They hammered the iron when it was hot and here is the result. IMO SD cards could have won the battle. Imagine a SD card player with size of a cig pack which would play 1080p smoothly :p

Maybe some day... :rolleyes:

18. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Hopefully not too soon - next time they might remove the ports entirely instead of just cramping them together almost unuseably tight. The way things are going the next redesign will also probably require an even larger armada of adapters. Apple loves adapters.

19. drambuie macrumors 6502a

If Apple moves to 16x9 screens, that would require a major chassis redesign. The iMac is 16x9, and if the anticipated new ACDs are also 16x9, the writing is on the wall for the next of generation MPBs.

20. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Ahh you may be right. 16:10 is a dying breed and if all the major LCD producers stop making them Apple too will have to switch. Sad, I love having vertical space for documents/coding.

21. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Why does moving to 16:9 mean losing vertical space? All they have to do is move the screen out more, and keep the current vertical height. Plus, then they will have possible room for speakers on the lower spec Macbook Pro/Macbook.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Because 16:9 has less vertical pixels than 16:10 e.g. 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080. Of course Apple could upgrade the panels to e.g. 1600x900 in 13", 1920x1080 in 15" and 2048x1152 in 17"

23. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Flash media are too expensive for movie distribution.

24. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

If the demonsavatar is happy with his current vertical space, then he should be happy if they expand horizontally - he will actually gain horizontal space and have the same vertical space.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Good point, totally forgot that. It's getting cheaper and cheaper though

He would gain vertical pixels as well IF Apple upgrade the panels. However, if Apple did not upgrade them, he would lose pixels (e.g. 1280x720 in 13" MBP)