When the 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display is going to be released?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skaertus, Sep 24, 2012.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Just to have something to do while Apple doesn't release them...

Let me know your thoughts.

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Would love to see it come out in October!

Not holding my breath though =\

3. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

I think Apple might wait with the release until all issues found in 15" rMBP are fixed. So I think they will not release it at October as planned but later this year. Just my thoughts.

4. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Apple is moving iPads on TV shopping channels for $1,069.00

I saw this about an hour ago on QVC.

Why would Apple care about computers when they can sell small cereal box toys for over a thousand dollars? This is way beyond the dreams of profit that dope dealers have.

5. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

6. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Me too. I wish it comes in October. I will be in the U.S. in late October and I will certainly buy one of these if it is released in time. It would be the perfect combination of power and portability.

However, if Apple doesn't release it until October, I will buy the 15" retina. Expensive, but still much cheaper than any reasonable laptop here in Brazil (where the low-end 13" Air costs US$ 2,400 and the 15" retina costs US$ 4,800).

As much as I want the 13" model to be released in October, I guess that Apple will wait for the next refresh of the MacBook line to revamp the 13" models. And that will probably be when Haswell comes out, in the first semester of 2013. Haswell will have much faster integrated graphics than Ivy Bridge, and that would fit perfectly into a 13" retina model.

7. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

WOW! Thats even more than here in Europe. I wonder how does Apple calculate the prices for each country.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Which bit of speculation is the bit of speculation that most people are speculating about?

Not much to be obtained from this poll. It will be released when it's released. You can read about more accurate rumors and what not on this forum using the search feature.

9. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

Apple need to hurry up im growing restless. wait maybe thats what they want us to do so we can purchase the most expensive model

10. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its based on the percentage of gorgeous women per man available. See why the US has the lowest prices and brazil has one of the highest possible.

11. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Unfortunately, it's taxes, not women, that makes prices so high...

12. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

13. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, Apple is certainly aware of the fact that people willing to spend US$ 1,200 on a 13-inch MacBook Pro will most likely not buy a 15-inch retina model for US$ 2,200...

14. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I know Im from rio, in another news I cant import anymore from the sites that I used to, apple has cut off that way too.

15. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

There's no way out, my friend... we're stuck in this banana republic with the most expensive consumer electronics in the world. I can't even think of buying a retina MacBook Pro here, the price is completely insane.

16. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

I honestly think we shouldn't be holding our breaths for this. I seriously doubt a coming of a thinner 13" retina macbook pro when it could be easily implemented on a separate 13" macbook air as both would be the same thing.

17. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, I see two possibilities here:

1. Apple merges the 13-inch MacBook Pro and the 13-inch MacBook Air into a single product. This would be a redesigned MacBook Air with a retina display. It would be priced similarly to the current 13-inch MacBook Air/Pro. However, I have some doubts on this approach, which are as follows: (i) would Apple put a faster processor in the Air or would it stick with current low-voltage, battery-friendly processors? (either option has its own advantages and disadvantages) and (ii) would Apple be ready to drop the price of the 15-inch MacBook Pro retina to fill the gap left by the non-retina model when it's gone? I guess that, in this case, Apple would drop the prices of current 15-inch retina to replace the non-retina models.

2. Apple redesigns the 13-inch MacBook Pro, which will follow the footsteps of the 15-inch model. Thinner, lighter, with a retina display and an SSD instead of an HD. Although thinner, it would still have a standard-voltage processor and its weight would be something in-between the 13-inch Air and the current 13-inch Pro. Apple would also raise the price of the 13-inch Pro to US$ 1,499 (low-end) to US$ 1,799 (high end), filling the gap left by the non-retina models (both 13 and 15-inch), which will be discontinued. Apple will continue selling the 13-inch Air as a cheaper, consumer-oriented alternative, for a price similar it is currently being sold now (or a little bit cheaper). Meanwhile, it would prepare a revamped MacBook Air line to be released in 2013, with a retina display and perhaps making use of carbon fibre to make it even lighter.

What do you think?

18. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

on a 2nd search though I can buy it from the already overpriced hidevolution. provantage and B&H photo cant ship apple products to brazil.

aside that the one I want is the 13k model, which in dolars it becomes 6.5k

19. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

1. It is a good idea. However i think that there will be an issue with price, affecting the quantity of consumers buying this product because there is no other 13" mac option. And as for the price drop of the 15" retina macbook pro, i have high doubts this will ever happen right now. The way i see it, macbook pros probably will have retina as standard and a lower price point a couple of years down the line, as there are less bugs and rising competition from other big companies out there. So i could agree with you on the fact that the non-retina macbook pros will phased out at some point, but now isn't a good time to.

2. yet again, i can agree with you on this, but what will the markets reaction be? $1499 - $1799 is still quite a lot for any computer today, even if it is retina, and this is why the bananas are are still not ripe for the picking yet. I reckon the 15" retina is an experiment, and then it will be standard in a couple of years time, like i said before, when (i) apple will have had the time to invest in cheaper ways of making retina displays, and (ii) apple have made a big enough market to buy these new machines.

As for keeping the 13" air on the market - what is the point? If apple continue to make their designs of their macbook pros thinner, and they also add retina as standard, you might as well just phase the airs out and add an 11" macbook pro retina to their existing line of MBPs and call it a day. the one-up macbook airs being sold today can be upgradable to 512GB flash storage, and 8GB RAM, and a 2.0Ghz i7, and that is something i call more pro that air-ish IMHO.

carbon fiber, while making the design lighter, makes the design disgusting and very un apple-ish, whether it has the brand logo on it or not...

20. ipodmac macrumors regular

what screen resolution would the 13inch macbook get if its released?
    Also I voted for october, its what all the rumors are pointing to.

21. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

That is a possibility. However, you should remember that Apple discontinued the 13-inch white MacBook, which sold for US$ 999, in favor of the similarly priced, low-end, 11-inch MacBook Air. I don't have the figures, but I suspect that the 13-inch white MacBook was one of best-selling Apple laptop computer (and perhaps the best-seller). However, people didn't stop buying Macs and they moved to the other models.

Something similar may happen again. Apple may push the 13-inch Air towards consumers, and the 13-inch Pro towards pros. There is no sense in keeping two 13-inch laptops at the same price point, especially when the features of each other will eventually converge.

Yes, US$ 1,499 - US$ 1,799 is a lot for any computer, especially a 13-inch thin-and-light. However, it would fill the gap left by the 15-inch model.

I don't think the 15-inch retina is just an experiment. I think it is the first of a new line of MacBooks which will soon take over the current ones. The current design is almost four years old, it's about time for a refresh. Retina displays are not as expensive as one might think - the iPad has a 2048x1536 display and sells for US$ 499. Apple could put a retina display on its 13-inch models and continue selling them for the same price - or just a little bit more expensive. There's just no sense in charging more than US$ 1,000 for a standard 13-inch laptop with a 1280x800 resolution and that still uses an HD.

Yes, Apple could do that. But will it? The thing is, the MacBook Pro has a faster processor. If Apple is able to put a standard-voltage processor inside such a thin package, it may just keep the Air. However, Apple may also want to take advantage of the low-voltage Haswell processors which Intel will release next year, and which will allow for great battery life (just 10W).

Apple could keep both a 13-inch Air and a 13-inch Pro with a retina display, putting them at different segments.

I don't know. It's just speculation. Carbon fiber makes laptops lighter. Lots of companies are using it, and Apple is probably looking at it right no. Apple may well find a way to make it look nicer.

----------

2560x1600, probably.

22. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I would love the 13 inch rMBP to come out in october, so that I can buy the next one in my first year of uni next year after first set of issues are worked out and I've saved money from gap year and get student discount :)

If it's not released until later though I'll probably still buy it around oct 2013, or potentially later that academic year, but certainly before sept 2014.

I'm more than confident my 2010 mbp will tide me over til then, and longer if I wanted it to :) such a beauty :D

23. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

It's no surprise that apple had to discontinue the white macbook. i too loved it as an everyday use computer but the core 2 duos were phased out by the time sandy bridge came along, and sales were increasing on the macbook air and slowly decreasing the macbook, because of outdated technology. the macbook was once the computer of it's time because of it's price point for an apple mac and with some decent technology that made it usable compared to the macbook airs back in 2010.

maybe the same thing will happen with macbook pros in the shift to retina? more sales on that over the classic MBP will move apple forward to include as standard in two years?

Apple are doing this right now. why do you think that apple named one macbook the 'pro' and one the 'air'? i agree with you that both should have different price points because of the differenciality between them, with the macbook airs being reduced a bit more in price in the near future.

I agree with you in a sense that this has already happened before, with the macbook airs soon replacing the old poly macbook. but it not being an experiment? I don't think so IMHO. the macbook air, when it was released back in 2008, would have been an experiment to see the markets movement on computers, and look what a success it turned out to be. And I generally think the same with the retina macbook pro because it is a first in apple's mac line, in which i see the design of it becoming standard across all macbook pros in a couple of years time. sorry to keep banging on about the future of the retina macbook pros here, saying that retina will be standard in a couple of years and all that, but that is the way i see apple are headed for in the future, as competition rises for displays and prices for quality.

apple may want to take advantage of Intel's lowest-end in their macbook airs, but i don't see it happening in their macbook pros. yes, we might see a voltage reduction in the MBPs, but not one with a voltage as low as that of the ones speculated for macbook airs.

how would it put it in different segments?

i see where you are coming from, but looking at apples iPerspective :)D), would they want their machines being a different design to other apple macs? do they really want to sacrifice their perfect recipe of formal and great to use in their already existing products for the sake of lightness? i honestly think right now that the macbook airs are light enough as it is, and the same with the macbook pro.

24. Frozzie macrumors regular

15 inch Retina Macbook Pro IS the fusion of Macbook Air and Macbook Pro.

- Improved resolution from MBP
    - It has better performance from MBA but maybe not as fully as actual MBP
    - It is thinner and lighter than MBP but thicker and heavier than MBA
    - It has reduced expandability (e.g. no SuperDrive) but better than MBA (more thunderbolt, added HDMI)

They will keep 13 inch MBA, and make a new 13 inch MBP that is between the current two 13 inch MBA and MBP. Hopefully elimination of SuperDrive means they can now put dedicated GPU into the machine as well.

25. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai