When to buy an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by timsun28, Jun 9, 2014.

1. timsun28 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm planning to buy a new imac, is now the right time or should i wait till new update?
    I need the new mac before 20st of july, so do you guys think apple will bring out a new mac before then or should i just buy the current model?

Thanks,
    Timsun

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're at the end of the life cycle of the current model, but without a broadwell chipset an update to the iMac isn't likely to occur between now and July when you need it. To that end, get the configuration you need since waiting isn't going to buy you anything.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't expect an iMac before late fall. Just a quick piece of advice for buying the current model. If you are planning on buying the maxed out version, get a 2013 model, but otherwise you should get the 2012 refurbished i7/1 TB Fusion/8 GB/gtx 680mx. It is a better performer than 90% of the 2013 models, and is only 1949$ on Apple refurb. Check it out, as Apple did not make major updates in 2013, and they skimped on the midrange.

Matt

4. timsun28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fusion or SSD

Thanks for the replys,

now there is only one problem i have, should i buy a fusion drive or the normal ssd? Cause i read that the PCI ssd in the latest iMac is super fast, but is the fusion drive also super fast or is that a slower ssd (for booting in mac)?

Timsun

5. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

ssd

6. Liffey macrumors regular

Practically no chance of a new iMac by July.

SSD + External HD would be best but Fusion is simpler if you prefer that, and will still be fast.

7. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

I'm also looking forward to buy a new iMac, but suspecting it won't be out before fall, and probably released along with the new iPhone.

Fusion is fast, but not as fast as ssd. Get ssd and external.

8. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I'm in the same situation, I need a new Mac and can't really wait anymore, but I don't want to buy the current one when maybe in a few months, for the same price, I have a faster one. For me the speed is really crucial because I need to work with it.

As for the SSD or Fusion drive question… it depends what you need. I'll be going with an SSD because I need everything on the Mac to be as fast as possible. Fusion drive is good for "normal use", basically it just moves the files you use frequently to the flash storage, the rest is on a normal hard drive.

9. FreemanW macrumors 6502

It's June.

If you're willing to wait until December, knock yourself out.

Either you need or want to purchase now, or you don't need or want it now and can wait. Just like buses, elevators, and politicians, there's always another update just around the corner.

If I were going to purchase, I'd go with a Haswell (late 2013) and SSD.

10. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

There will always be updated models and no one will know the exact release dates until Apple wants you to know so if you wait around for the newest model you might end up not buying anything.

Wait as long as you can before you have to have it and then order. Maybe you will get lucky and they will have release an updated model by then.

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Or . . . it could be early next year. We just don't know.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I'm looking to buy one for my kids. What are your recommendations between 2013 and 2012 models??

13. phphoto macrumors member

There is rumour that new iMacs to be released next week but maybe only a small speed bump.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I ordered a 2013 refurbished 27" last night. I will wait to see what happens next week: what would I receive and what these speed bumps really mean.

What do you think will be the performance difference with 0.1Ghz?

15. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

you will not notice 100mhz.

my thing is i just bought a maxed out iMac and I am only worried that the GPU will be better next week. They say thunderbolt 2 may come, but I haven't really found a use for the first thunderbolt and my macbook air and new iMac have it. If they come with retina it would be more taxing on the gpu which is the opposite of what i want as the iMac screen already looks amazing.

16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I agree. If there are new iMac's released next week the differences between the 2013 models are going to be small and not really enough to rush out and upgrade. I highly doubt it will come with a retina display next week. For those who don't have one yet, it's a good idea to wait and see.

17. Jingleballz macrumors newbie

I was worried about a new GPU next week as well, so I returned mine yesterday (within 15 day period) and I'm waiting to see what's in store.

18. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I think the safest time is always buy after a new refresh.

However, echoing everyone else. Wait until the last minute, and buy current. If you can wait until July, then wait until then. But if you need a new computer tomorrow, then nothing can be said and go buy one now.

19. Kayan macrumors 6502

With the new rumor of iMacs coming out next week, I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to have a good excuse not to wait. Even if the speed bumps/upgrades are small, the rumors are that the model will be cheaper than the current one. So...as I always say, you have nothing to lose by waiting. I'm gonna buy at the next refresh, almost no matter what (unless they announce Retina later this year).

20. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

May as well wait for the refresh they say is coming next week. I highly doubt Apple will launch anything significant without an event so I'd expect a similar update that the MBA's went through.

21. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Next weeks bump (assuming it happens) is minimal to say the least.
    Unless they upgrade the I.O. in some dramatic fashion, what's the worry?

Anyone who's been paying attention, will realize there's little difference in the updates every 3-4 years that makes a real difference in how you use the computer. Late 2012 was the big change (Screen), or you could argue that the late 2013 PCIe addition was something worth a notice (Internal Bus Speed)

Again, these minor changes are not earth shattering performance bumps from year to year. It's by design and always has been. Please keep the panties dry for some other activity ;)

22. Beardy man macrumors regular

Price drop? For the sake of a few days, it has to be worth hanging on. I've read that people who ordered over the last few days have had their delivery dates pushed on by 2-3 days implying they'll get the new models but no talk of a refund. Unless you really need a replacement/new machine it wouldn't hurt to wait til Wed/Thurs of next week.

23. chelch macrumors regular

850m?

What are the chances that the video cards see an update as well?

24. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

very slim. probably not at all. I can say 99% sure that the 880m won't make it in as the 780m is actually better than it at many tasks since it is just a rebranded 780m with more ram. Many programs don't utilize the 880m's ram and even where it is faster in terms of FPS it is only by a few tenths per second. I still have the chance to return mine but if it is for the 880m I am not sure it would even be worth putting it all back in the box

25. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Why would they not update the GPU when they actually update the iMac. Doesnt make sense to keep a 1 year old card in favour of the latest....Even if they were EXACTLY the same.