Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It has been nearly a year and a half since the current Apple TV was released, so the device is becoming due for a hardware upgrade. Below, we recap rumors about the next Apple TV, including potential features and launch timing.

apple-tv-4k-yellow-bg-feature.jpg

The current model is the third-generation Apple TV 4K, announced in October 2022. Key new features compared to the previous model from 2021 include a faster A15 Bionic chip, a larger 128GB storage option, a slightly thinner and lighter design, HDR10+ support, a USB-C port on the Siri Remote, lower pricing, and more.

Launch Timing

In January 2023, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that a new Apple TV would be released in the first half of 2024. If that timeframe remains accurate, a new Apple TV would be released by the end of June. If so, the device could be announced in a press release on Apple's website, or unveiled during the WWDC keynote on June 10.

Gurman has not commented on the next Apple TV in recent months, and his report was published nearly 15 months ago, so it is unclear if the device remains on track to launch in the first half of 2024 or if Apple's plans have changed.

Announcement dates for recent Apple TV models:

• Third-generation Apple TV 4K: October 2022
  • Second-generation Apple TV 4K: April 2021
  • First-generation Apple TV 4K: September 2017
  • Apple TV HD: September 2015

Rumors

Faster Chip

The next Apple TV will be equipped with a faster processor compared to the current model, according to Gurman's report last year. It's unclear which chip will power the device, but possibilities include the A16 Bionic chip that debuted in the iPhone 14 Pro models or the A17 Pro chip that debuted in the iPhone 15 Pro models.

Lower Price

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects the next Apple TV to be "more affordable" than the current model. He said a "sub-$100 price" would be the "sweet spot" for the Apple TV, but exact pricing for the next model remains to be seen.

Both the second-generation (2010) and third-generation (2012) versions of the Apple TV were priced at $99 in the U.S. at launch, and Apple eventually lowered the price of the third-generation model to $69, so there is precedent for a sub-$100 Apple TV that would better compete with low-priced streaming devices sold by Google, Amazon, and Roku.

In the U.S., the current Apple TV starts at $129 with 64GB of storage, and a 128GB model with an added Ethernet port is available for $149.

Same Design

The new Apple TV will have the same external design as the current model, Gurman said.

Apple said the A15 Bionic chip's increased power efficiency allowed for the fan to be removed in the current Apple TV, resulting in the device having a more compact design that is around 12% thinner and around 50% lighter than the previous model.

Apple TV With Camera

A future Apple TV could have a built-in camera for FaceTime and other video calling apps, Gurman said in his Power On newsletter a few days ago.

tvOS 17 added a FaceTime app to the Apple TV, allowing for users to have video calls by using the rear camera on a connected iPhone or iPad. If the Apple TV gained a built-in camera, users would no longer need to rely on an external device.

It is unclear if a camera would be added to the next Apple TV or a later model.

Article Link: When to Expect a New Apple TV to Launch

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

It has been nearly a year and a half since the current Apple TV was released, so the device is becoming due for a hardware upgrade. Below, we recap rumors about the next Apple TV, including potential features and launch timing.

apple-tv-4k-yellow-bg-feature.jpg

The current model is the third-generation Apple TV 4K, announced in October 2022. Key new features compared to the previous model from 2021 include a faster A15 Bionic chip, a larger 128GB storage option, a slightly thinner and lighter design, HDR10+ support, a USB-C port on the Siri Remote, lower pricing, and more.

Launch Timing

In January 2023, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that a new Apple TV would be released in the first half of 2024. If that timeframe remains accurate, a new Apple TV would be released by the end of June. If so, the device could be announced in a press release on Apple's website, or unveiled during the WWDC keynote on June 10.

Gurman has not commented on the next Apple TV in recent months, and his report was published nearly 15 months ago, so it is unclear if the device remains on track to launch in the first half of 2024 or if Apple's plans have changed.

Announcement dates for recent Apple TV models:

• Third-generation Apple TV 4K: October 2022
  • Second-generation Apple TV 4K: April 2021
  • First-generation Apple TV 4K: September 2017
  • Apple TV HD: September 2015

Rumors

Faster Chip

The next Apple TV will be equipped with a faster processor compared to the current model, according to Gurman's report last year. It's unclear which chip will power the device, but possibilities include the A16 Bionic chip that debuted in the iPhone 14 Pro models or the A17 Pro chip that debuted in the iPhone 15 Pro models.

Lower Price

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects the next Apple TV to be "more affordable" than the current model. He said a "sub-$100 price" would be the "sweet spot" for the Apple TV, but exact pricing for the next model remains to be seen.

Both the second-generation (2010) and third-generation (2012) versions of the Apple TV were priced at $99 in the U.S. at launch, and Apple eventually lowered the price of the third-generation model to $69, so there is precedent for a sub-$100 Apple TV that would better compete with low-priced streaming devices sold by Google, Amazon, and Roku.

In the U.S., the current Apple TV starts at $129 with 64GB of storage, and a 128GB model with an added Ethernet port is available for $149.

Similar Design

The new Apple TV will have the same external design as the current model, Gurman said.

Apple said the A15 Bionic chip's increased power efficiency allowed for the fan to be removed in the current Apple TV, resulting in the device having a more compact design that is around 12% thinner and around 50% lighter than the previous model.

Apple TV With Camera

A future Apple TV could have a built-in camera for FaceTime and other video calling apps, Gurman said in his Power On newsletter a few days ago.

tvOS 17 added a FaceTime app to the Apple TV, allowing for users to have video calls by using the rear camera on a connected iPhone or iPad. If the Apple TV gained a built-in camera, users would no longer need to rely on an external device.

It is unclear if a camera would be added to the next Apple TV or a later model.

Article Link: When to Expect a New Apple TV to Launch
I love my A15 appleTV!!!! Use it daily!!!!

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
"Apple said the A15 Bionic chip's increased power efficiency allowed for the fan to be removed in the current Apple TV, resulting in the device having a more compact design that is around 12% thinner and around 50% lighter than the previous model."

Yeah, and it now consistently throttles due to excess heat. Hoping the new one will be better in this area.
I don’t play games so don’t notice,

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Not really sure what the point of a new Apple TV is. The A17 Pro still isn't fast enough to play AAA games (look at the reviews for RE4 / RE Village on iPhone 15 Pro) and I don't think the A16 adds much over the current A15. M-series chip maybe, but that is bound to increase the price, rather than decrease it.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
How to fix a problem like Apple TV.

The reality is with TV's now coming with built in streaming software and the proliferation of cheap streaming sticks it makes less sense to be getting an Apple TV. It needs to offer more and two obvious routes are:

1. Bundle or offer as an accessory a camera to attach and place below or above your TV to use for FaceTime
  2. Produce an Apple designed game controller to use with Apple Arcade. There's no point trying to compete with Sony or Microsoft here with AAA games, but more casual gaming is a big thing and could be a big draw if Apple actually gave a damn. The current arrangement of using PS5 controllers with half of the buttons not working doesn't sell the experience well, maybe something similar to the Wiimote would be an interesting approach.
Maybe these accessories could then help subsidise a cheaper price for the main device. Getting a sub $99 price would really help shift these.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
While I won't need it any time soon, I wonder if it'll support 8K TVs? The camera sounds cool, but I have to wonder how many people have the ATV in place where a camera makes sense? My TV stands are low enough where if I put the ATV with a camera on that, I'll see nothing but crotches. If I angle it up, bottoms of chins. If I put it at a decent height, I'll need a shelf with the ATV on it, which seems weird.

JeroenDV

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
Belgium
It would be wonderful that people with hearing loss can use their AirPods with Headphone Accommodations on the Apple TV.
Now it only works with iPhone and iPad.
On Apple TV I only get the sound without using my audiogram to match my hearing loss….

StarHunter

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Really the biggest reason for A17 Pro is AV1 hardware decode which streaming services will make use of. Really though I think the main driver of Apple TV updates is upgrading the chip to be in line with other devices such as the iPad mini or regular iPad, so they have a most common chip from a production/inventory perspective.

If Apple was actually serious about gaming, they would be putting in a M3, M3 Pro, or M3 Max, which would increase the price too much. Given that they still have not done it I don't think they will ever make this move now.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
How to fix a problem like Apple TV.

The reality is with TV's now coming with built in streaming software and the proliferation of cheap streaming sticks it makes less sense to be getting an Apple TV. It needs to offer more and two obvious routes are:

1. Bundle or offer as an accessory a camera to attach and place below or above your TV to use for FaceTime
  2. Produce an Apple designed game controller to use with Apple Arcade. There's no point trying to compete with Sony or Microsoft here with AAA games, but more casual gaming is a big thing and could be a big draw if Apple actually gave a damn. The current arrangement of using PS5 controllers with half of the buttons not working doesn't sell the experience well, maybe something similar to the Wiimote would be an interesting approach.
Maybe these accessories could then help subsidise a cheaper price for the main device. Getting a sub $99 price would really help shift these.
I miss the days of "dumb" TVs/monitors. I don't need them to have every service under the sun, which often does them at a mediocre quality. I prefer a TV with just a couple HDMI ports, maybe coax for an antenna. Then I'll add what the services I want. AppleTV, BluRay, cable box, whatever. Then if one thing breaks, I can just replace that rather than the entire thing.

DukeSilver79

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
”The Apple TV PRO with m3 ultra.”

You dont need it but you are going to get it.

It will have the feature to off load your grandmas 8k Final Cut Pro kitchen vlog rendering from iPad to the Apple TV.
Not unless it could somehow magically turn my 4k tv into 8k or something. I'm perfectly happy with the newest Apple TV. The family really enjoys the FaceTime feature.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
At work, when we first got back unperson after Covid, we got some of those combination webcam/soundbar systems (specifically Neat Bars) that connect to Zoom. Included some attachments to connect to the top of TVs. Maybe Apple could make an AppleTV like that?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If it has AV1 support sign me up. Switching all my apple products to ones that support AV1 decode so i can switch my plex to AV1 for the file size savings.

AV1 hardware decoder sorely needed
The A17 Pro has AV1 hardware on chip; so I would bet they'll include it in the next update.

Question though - storage is cheap. Why bother reencoding to save a bit of space? The time-value doesn't seem to be there. I personally prefer remuxes to keep everything as close to original as possible, and let Plex transcode as needed. Yea they take up a ton of space and it's arguably inefficient, but storage is cheaper than ever and a good NAS + Plex Server can use less power combined than a lightbulb.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
"Apple said the A15 Bionic chip's increased power efficiency allowed for the fan to be removed in the current Apple TV, resulting in the device having a more compact design that is around 12% thinner and around 50% lighter than the previous model."

Yeah, and it now consistently throttles due to excess heat. Hoping the new one will be better in this area.
When does it throttle? I haven't noticed this.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I can see where a more powerful chip + RAM would help with future endeavors such as a sports app's multi-angle video support. In comparison, other streaming dongles choke out hard on multi-angle video streams (if they even support them at all).

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
My A12 powered device was choking on 4K content in Infuse, so I just upgraded. Wish I'd seen these rumors earlier, as the latest one is also causing me some issues. It randomly freezes during playback and I have had a lot of apps crashing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.