Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
An update isn’t high on my list of needs. I only use the device to watch live sports, news, and sometimes a movie. If Gurman ever takes a vacation it’ll sure be quiet around here.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
My ATV 4K 2021 is my main TV streaming device. I have it connected to my Sony OLED and Denon receiver. I can't imagine any thing else I need for it to do. I watch my apps just fine like Netflix, Disney, Fubo, etc.. The interface beats the living daylights out of the Google TV interface that came with the Sony. I hardly ever use it. The ATV is responsive, the remote works everything and I have no issues with Siri button placement. My only gripe is something the same screensaver runs day after day but it that is the worst thing about the ATV, then so be it. If they do upgrade the box, they better not mess with the picture quality.

Reactions: zapmymac

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
This product surely hasn't evolved a lot in the last 8 years. Only very minor incremental updates, in both hardware and software departments.

There are bugs still obvious to the users, like the inability to correctly sync the content of the Search Field in the iPhone TV Remote with the Search Fields in tvOS which is driving me absolutely crazy since 2016. Since then, I've had 3 different Apple TVs models, 3 different iPhone models, 3 different routers, 3 different modems, 3 different Internet Providers, so don't tell me it's my hardware. In maybe 8 iterations of tvOS, this bug is still affecting me every single day. 👎

Reactions: Kissmo1980

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
“In the U.S., the current Apple TV starts at $129 with 64GB of storage, and a 128GB model with an added Ethernet port is available for $149.”

the $149 version also has thread built in, which is why I bought that version. I’ve bought every generation starting with the first one. Not sure what would entice me to buy the next one from what I can see in this article. I’m fine with that. Current one works fine for me.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
The problem with the software the TV manufacturers put in their TV is that they don't keep it up to date + there is no guarantee that all the streaming services are available for the TV you have bought, it depends on which operating system is used. Of course, with Google's system it's no problem, but then we have Samsung with their Tizen or whatever they call it.

I have a Samsung 65" top model from 2021, and there are several "local" apps I can download for it, which in addition to the fact that it was the top model, the software is stuttering, and poor and impossible to type quickly on .Apple TV is faster, fluid, and has all the apps I need, so I never use my TV's built-in software. But if the TV manufacturers get it under control, I agree - then Apple TV will be redundant.

Maybe Apple should make a TV interface for the TV manufacturers, just as they make CarPlay for the cars.

I think that point is important. Apple TV (and other streaming devices) get updates quickly...with TV's it can be hit or miss, the same as the availability with some apps.

Plus, it is portable, so it is easy to travel with.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
This product surely hasn't evolved a lot in the last 8 years. Only very minor incremental updates, in both hardware and software departments.

There are bugs still obvious to the users, like the inability to correctly sync the content of the Search Field in the iPhone TV Remote with the Search Fields in tvOS which is driving me absolutely crazy since 2016. Since then, I've had 3 different Apple TVs models, 3 different iPhone models, 3 different routers, 3 different modems, 3 different Internet Providers, so don't tell me it's my hardware. In maybe 8 iterations of tvOS, this bug is still affecting me every single day. 👎
I share your position towards about Apple TV.
IMO is one of the most inferior Apple products and it had no enticing upgrade path, though I went through it.
You would think that in Apple ecosystem it would provide more functionality but ultimately it’s a very expensive player which is plagued with bugs or stutter in my case.
Frequent disconnects from Home Pods on different expensive routers.
I hope 🍏 comes out with something more appealing.

Reactions: PsykX

Hildy

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I tried to rent a movie on my @TV today and their software is such a train wreck we settled for something from a completely different platform. I have owned at least a half dozen @tvs including the first generation, and the software is so terrible I hardly use them anymore.

Considering I was a heavy @TV user for many years it is a shocking change for me to embrace apps on Samsung devices in favour of my @tvs.

Sippincider

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2020
The reality is with TV's now coming with built in streaming software and the proliferation of cheap streaming sticks it makes less sense to be getting an Apple TV.
The reality is Apple had YEARS of opportunity to knock Apple TV out of the park. And much like Siri, they dawdled and squandered and the ship has long since left.

The future of Apple TV, if there is one, exists as an app on other's smart TVs. They might try one more iteration, but I'd expect the hardware's days to be numbered.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I dont know what new things are going to sell an updated Apple TV besides better gaming... the current gen is actually massively powerful already.. but that power is just not utilised at all.

Its way, way overpowered as just another streaming device (and if its streaming you want... you can do it way cheaper using a TV built in smart features or an Amazon Firestick or Roku etc)... surely they have something up their sleeve.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I’d prefer a miniature independent AppleTV camera. Something very small powered by USB-c and you can easily attach in the best location. It would be able to be used as a security camera or a FaceTime camera via wireless connection to the AppleTV. Something like a repurposed camera from a recent iPhone model.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
The original Apple TV HD remote completely blew it for me. I was incredibly frustrating to use. I know they released a new remote, but I'd already switched to other devices. I currently have no interest in returning.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Do you not watch things with other people
I live alone so 99% of the time i do not. If someone comes over to watch a movie I have an LG OLED and a nice surround sound system but everyday after work I am very much enjoying the theater experience the Vision Pro gives me

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The reality is with TV's now coming with built in streaming software and the proliferation of cheap streaming sticks it makes less sense to be getting an Apple TV. It needs to offer more and two obvious routes are:
The whole reason I got an Apple TV was the poor experience both my TV and cheaper streaming boxes were giving me. My 2019 Samsung TV was getting a tad slow and didn't support all the streaming services I'm using. Cheaper Android boxes just gave me headaches with poorly managed updates, crashes and whatnot.

I got myself an Apple TV and the experience so far has been awesome. I can stream my music library through iTunes Match, have quick access to my podcasts, all the streaming apps are there, love the aerial screensavers and the performance is in one word amazing. Haven't had any crashes or whatever and updates are plentiful and immediately available.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Reactions: seek3r

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
Faster better more capable Apple TV yes! Better more usable remote with at least some spill resistance, Yes! Camera, NO unless it can be physically covered or removed, no exceptions! No bull crap light when it’s on none of that I’m tired of being tracked to the 72nd degree! And if you can work in a commercial skip that would be great!

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Been switching over to Fire TV 4K Max gen 1 now gen 2. Dirt cheap, responsive and one provider I want I can side load their app. App not available on ATV. I do remove Alexa button and microphone for added privacy. Great gadgets.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I absolutely LOVE my Apple TV 4K. It's so much better than FireTV and Roku it's not even close. I think another commenter said it's not a hardware issue, but a software issue. I agree 1000%. I don't really see a need for them to change the hardware that much. Just keep improving the software. Although, I wouldn't mind the ability to play real games on the Apple TV though. But that would probably cost too much. And be a bit pointless if you have a M1 and above iPad or Mac
In what way is the ATV so much better than the Fire Stick 4K Max? I have both (6 ATV, 3 Fire TV 4K Max Gen 1, 4 Gen 2).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I love my Apple TV and have been an ardent user for many years now. That said, I have one idea on how to to make the Apple TV better. I am using it more and more for videoconferencing with Continuity Camera on my iPhone (little kids + long distance grandma = lots of FaceTime). Most of the time it works without issue, but since my iPhone camera/mic is typically placed somewhere near my TV (and I am not), the person I am talking to has difficulty hearing me many times unless I raise my voice. Not to mention issues when multiple people try to talk at once/background noise, etc.

My solution would be to activate the microphone in the remote during videoconference sessions so the remote can remain near you (like a lavalier lapel mic) to assist in voice clarity. Doesn't seem like a heavy lift since there already is a mic in the remote. Food for thought!

Good idea. Here's a variant: roll out a new AppleTV with either a dedicated wireless original iSight-like camera (possibly powered by the USB jack in some TVs) or a "normal" USB-C port to which any of the USB cams could be connected. This is key to resolving the AppleTV box placement issue... which makes a built-in camera make no sense except for those few who position their AppleTV immediately above or below the center of their TV. Place/store it anywhere else and those on the other end won't see you looking at them when you FaceTime or Zoom.

For audio, let that phone or iPad or remote near you be the microphone... and maybe HomePods for those who lean on them.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
What are you doing that causes your Apple TV to throttle? I’ve never experienced any of that behavior. It’s vastly overpowered then most media streaming devices.
Same. The RAM efficiency on the 2022 model versus my old 2017 model is night and day.

I actually ran into an issue where an app was stored in memory from a live event 2 weeks prior. Of course it wouldn’t play, it was from 2 weeks ago! But, the fact that the Apple TV held that app without refreshing for TWO WEEKS is astounding.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
The fact that it has been 1.5 years since the last upgrade means nothing. The 1st gen Apple TV 4K was the latest Apple TV for 3.5 years. I really don't see a new Apple TV coming anytime soon as the current Apple TV is already overpowered as a streaming device (which I suspect is what the majority of people use it for) and it has never taken off as a gaming device so putting in a more powerful chip to make it a better gaming device for a pretty niche market doesn't really make sense for Apple. In addition, the A16 and A17 can't be cheaper to produce than the A15 so putting one of those in won't allow them to make it cheaper. I don't really see much happening here until it makes sense to release an Apple TV 8K.
Exactly.

Could easily be a few years before they release a new model.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I was imagining a new remote with a trackpad instead of a dpad. The Home button functioning as the power button. The PLay button moved to the bottom left. T/he Siri button it just above and slightly recessed. And double click the Siri button to mute among other possibilities. Probably never happen.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Not really sure what the point of a new Apple TV is. The A17 Pro still isn't fast enough to play AAA games (look at the reviews for RE4 / RE Village on iPhone 15 Pro) and I don't think the A16 adds much over the current A15. M-series chip maybe, but that is bound to increase the price, rather than decrease it.
Upgrading to the A16 doesn’t make much sense. A rebranded A17 or A18 based on the new N3E process might bring some performance improvements, but who knows if those improvements will make much of a difference? We already know that the next Apple TV 4K won’t come anywhere close to my PS5 in gaming performance. When it comes to streaming, the current generation Apple TV 4K couldn’t be better. With the possibility of console gaming with a future model, based on the 15 Pro, proceed with caution. A lot of it.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
The only thing I would enjoy on an ATV is the option to allow the chance to plug an external HD so I can store the videos/music I own and access it via tvOS, sort like Plex on NAS. But I doubt Apple will bother.

Reactions: gusmula

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
a built in camera makes zero sense. It would force placement of a device with 2 cords (hdmi/power) out into the open. 3 cords if you are using Ethernet. Apple doesn’t like cords. And most people try to hide this stuff. Behind the tv. In the media center. It just doesn’t pass the smell test.

I think they stick with the iphone as a camera but a possibility they enter the ring camera market. An external camera for your ATV or your iphone/ipad.

They could and would go upscale. And given that, I can imagine they put a big zoom on the thing given the limitations of doing so on an iPHone. Parents could bring it to their kid's game or concert. Magsafe attach to the iOS device. Boom you a powerful camera for filming the special event. Easily put away when not needed.

And easily mounted somewhere around the tv for video conferencing on the AppleTV.

...But there's already a lot of competition in the external wireless camera market afaik. Not sure what apple would bring to the table. CAn apple make using one easier and more seamless?

Last edited:

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I would love to see some new FEATURES beyond just a speed bump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.