When will I be happy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Liquinn, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Liquinn Suspended

When will I be able with all the products I have?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suggest that you amend your thread title to reflect the actual question you have asked in your original post.

In any case, I concur with @ucfgrad93; to define happiness as 'owning things' is to miss the point. It is also - by definition - somewhat insatiable as you never own enough.

Personal and professional satisfaction come from other sources; doing something you like and find fulfilment
    in, solid and mutually respectful relationships with people who matter to you, an internal balance and learning to be comfortable in your own skin are just some of the things which go towards achieving a degree of contentment.

Agreed.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Happiness will come when your priorities in life will change. When you realize that the most important thing in life is health.

7. JamesMike, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

The simple things like breathing is a very cool for me!

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't know how to divide by zero...

9. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Not quite sure what you're asking. Care to elaborate?

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Are you saying that you're currently unhappy because you don't have the material items you desire?

Or

Are you asking why you continue to buy things only to find out that you are unsatisfied and seek to buy more?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Whenever you decide to.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

That's debatable.

I know I'd be very happy right now if I owned an Audi R8 V10 or Porsche 911 Turbo S :)

13. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Both.

14. Scepticalscribe, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suspect that you may confuse or conflate ownership of - or possession of - certain products - with your sense of identity, or your sense of self. Possessing, or owning these things may serve - in part - to define you to yourself.

Maybe you need to work out who you are and get comfortable with that, first, and then when you are comfortable with who you are, you might not be so focussed on what you own, possess, or want.

Happy, or satisfied?

It is nice to have nice things, but I suspect that some people pay more heed to having things, than simply being and doing things.

15. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

16. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

17. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

I define happiness as owning an Apple Watch Edition. However, this definition may only last until Tim delivers his next keynote address.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hm. I suspect that you may be confusing desire with happiness.

19. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

This might look like bollocks, but as life goes on, you'll realise it's as true as it gets:

[​IMG]
    inb4: this is from a fake story! hurr durr.
    Nobody gives a crap about that. It's still true

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

"He who knows enough is enough, will always have enough." - Lao-tzu

Okay, I'll admit I first heard it when Mei Ling quoted it in Metal Gear Solid.:p And they said video games isn't educational.:rolleyes::oops:

21. A.Goldberg, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

My first question is define happy. Do you feel depressed over this or just unsatisfied.

I suppose you have to think hard and honestly about your spending habits. When do you buy things? Is it when you're stressed, anxious, depressed, lonely, etc? Does buying things give you a sense of self. Do you think possessing the latest and greatest makes you a more worthy person? Do you find yourself envious of what others have?

Here's another set of questions: Do you keep buying, amassing your collection so it grows bigger? Or do you sell your belongings to buy newer or better items? Do you shop compulsively or can you commit yourself not to buying things? Are you unable to afford necessities because you're spending money on things you don't need?

You don't necessarily have to answer if you don't want to, but it's something to think about.

Shopping makes people feel good- it's a neurochemically reinforced behavior. Amassing more and better stuff is evolutionarily import. The reality is, there will always be something newer, better, and more expensive. Therefore if you're always looking for the next best thing, you'll never be happy with what you have. Some people shop to cope with anxiety, depression, etc. Buying things tricks the mind into temporarily feeling satisfied. Some people may feel inferior to others use material goods to make themselves feel more important. There are all sorts of theories.

Material possession/money in itself does not buy happiness. Many studies have shown this. I have found happiness/joy/fulfillment stems more from how you live your life, rather than what you have. A few years ago I went through a very depressing period (deaths, breakups, academic stress, etc in a very short period). I spent a lot of money in a few month period seeking to quell my emotion, only to find myself just as miserable as where I had started. While that whole experience sucked, but it helped me discover how to live a satisfying life. One of the most important factors I feel is being grateful for what you do have. Perhaps start there.

There's another thread around here in the community section about happiness. You should take a look through it.

So last question. Let's say you want a new top-end Apple Watch. How will buying that make you happy? What benefit will it bring to you life? Will the function of it change your life so greatly? Will it's high monetary value make you feel like a more worthy person (literal metaphor)? Do you want dire the attention people will give you when they say "oooh he has an Apple Watch"? *

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think this sums it up better:

“We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.” The Dalai Lama

23. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

I was trying to address what OP said about wanting things, but yeah. Those are some wise words.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Materialism does not produce happiness.

Inner peace, contentment and realization that stuff is not the end all be all

25. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

If you want to be happy, start doing more for other people. Ironic as it sounds, the greatest boost to personal happiness comes from putting yourself aside and putting others first. Active kindness has a remarkable way of making your feel better.

I'd settle for that last 918 that rolled off the line last week. :)