When will YOU buy into the next gen?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Aug 29, 2013.

?

Which system, and when? (multiple answers allowed!)

1. PS4, at launch!

30 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. PS4, within the first year

27 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. PS4, after a year or longer

30 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. XBox One, at launch!

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. XBox One, within the first year

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. XBox One, after a year or longer

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Taustin Powers, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

Taustin Powers macrumors regular

So both XBox One and PS4 are releasing this holiday season. What are your plans?

I am planning to buy a PS4, but likely not before the end of 2014, mainly for two reasons:

- There are and will be many more PS3 games to keep me busy. I will want to play Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, the Raymans, GTA5, Beyond:Two Souls, Sleeping Dogs, Fallout 3, Infamous 1&2, The Last of Us, Blacklist, Saints Row 2-4, and probably more before I jump to the next gen.

- The PS4 launch line-up doesn't do much for me. A year down the road, there will be a considerable library of games, and the earlier titles will have dropped in price already.

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I will buy a Playstation 4 when they bring out the PS4 Slim or whatever they're going to call it... probably around 2017 or so when Sony finally gets around to a hardware revision :(.

Not a big deal anyway, all the upcoming console games I want to play for at least the next year are all PS3 so not much of an incentive to upgrade so far.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll definitely be going down the PS4 route but probably not at launch. There's no real point in putting it off though, you rarely ever get a price cut in the first year of a console's life.

Xbox one? Eh, maybe. I don't play my 360 and the only exclusive I'm interested in is Halo (or that might just be because Halo 4 looked like a Metroid Prime game). But we'll see.

4. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

With Sony's history of their slim units both with PS2 and PS3 - I think some may wait a few years for that to come out - how long does that typically take?

5. peskaa, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

A pair of PS4s already ordered for launch day. One paid for, the other down to £299. Also already paid for a trio of extra controllers, Watch_Dogs and Assassins Creed.

I can't see a price cut for the PS4 for at least two years, and longer for a revised hardware model (maybe four?). As such, a launch model isn't a bad idea at all, and the easily changed HD is a plus side as well.

6. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a little worried that thus far I am more excited about the console than I am for the games. :D

7. mslide macrumors 6502a

I'll wait at least a couple of years. I tend to stay far enough behind the curve so that I never have to pay anything close to full price for the games I want to play. Steam has spoiled me. I'm not sure I'll even buy one of the next gen consoles.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

No real incentive to snag one for at least a year. I bought PS2 at launch, worst move I have made. I picked up the revised PS3 a few years after launch for a great discount, so I'll probably do that with the PS4 if I even go for it.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

PS4 at launch (had my pre order from Amazon for ages now), just as I picked up my Wii U at launch, which in hindsight was the worst mistake I've made in a while. It took a year but finally a few decent games are coming out for it.. lol

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

PS4 at launch. Everything pre-ordered and console itself mostly paid for.

PS4 + Knack, Killzone, Lego Marvel, Watchdogs, Assassins Creed 4

May pick an xbox one when there is a few games exclusives that I want. At the moment - I see no reason to own both, and normally I own ALL of them...

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You sold me on Knack sir, I'll be filling my complaints with you if I don't like it :p:eek:

I'll be getting Knack, Watchdogs, Madden 25, and Drive Club

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. I look forward to it matey :D That's you and Dagless converted :D

By the way don't we all get Drive Club anyway with PSN+ (albeit a limited version).

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Yea we get it with PSN+ but I want the Amazon pre-order bonuses and I'd rather not have the gimped version. I love me some racing games ;)

Are you getting Sonic for the Wii U?

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I am.... :p it's already pre-ordered. Let's hope it's non-controversial :D:D:D

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

16. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Your question is flawed...I already bought into the next-gen with my Wii U, thank you very much! :p

I'm sticking with a PC for now...my way of saying "F-you, M$" (by paying $2xx for their OS vs. $4xx for their XBone. I'm sure my point is being heard loud and clear by M$ :confused:

At some point, with a price drop, I'll probably get a PS4. Reality is, I have way too many games sitting on my shelf already.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

18. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Was wondering how long it would take until someone said that. ;)

19. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Did you also wonder if they were going to stick their tongue out, as well? ;)

Well, until the next-next generation...

20. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, that caught me off-guard!! :D

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I will get both, but wait for them to be at $299 plus have plenty of games at reduced prices of $20 - $30....

22. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Darn, I thought you were going to say, "No, I *knew* that would happen!"

:p

23. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I was gonna pick one up during Christmas time, but I might wait until next year. I haven't picked which one I want yet, but I don't trust early production Microsoft consoles. :D

24. Kurri macrumors 6502

I'm with you on this. the launch lineup really does nothing for me. few games I would like to play but nothing that says spend $400 on a console right now. I will get it before the end of 2014 once the lineup is very solid (which probably wont take too long).

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

When the next Tomb raider or grand theft comes out for the Ps4, ill buy a used one. I only play those two games....