Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Where are you from?

• North America

Votes: 114 60.0%
  • South America

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • UK

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Europe

Votes: 22 11.6%
  • Asia

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Australasia

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Africa

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Hang in there, Luis. Latin America has no boundaries. ;) It really could have been better worded, as several have suggested. No wonder the OP fell off the continental divide.

It's considered sloppy [unword] mapology, but you should feel free to consider yourself as part of Central America.

Okok... it's fine xsedrinam we can agree that the poll options were not the ideal...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Umm remember there is central america? Not many people count it, but we consider ourselves (costa rica) part of central america, not north nor south.

CENTRAL AMERICA IS NOT A CONTINENT. :rolleyes:

Of course central america is not it's own continent, but neither is north or south america...

SOUTH AMERICA IS A CONTINENT!
NORTH AMERICA IS A CONTINENT!

Please do not reply until you understand what a continent is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
SOUTH AMERICA IS A CONTINENT!
NORTH AMERICA IS A CONTINENT!

Please do not reply until you understand what a continent is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

I never said central america was it's own continent... However North and South America are not always considered different continents, including that wikipedia article you linked to! Quote from the article:

Wikipedia said:
The 7-continent model is usually taught in Western Europe, Northern Europe, Central Europe, China and most English-speaking countries. The 6-continent combined-Eurasia model is preferred by the geographic community, Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan. The 6-continent combined-America model is taught in Latin America, the Iberian Peninsula, Italy, Iran and some other parts of Europe; this model may be taught to include only the 5 inhabited continents (excluding Antarctica).

EDIT: Oh, and I understand what a continent is, you should understand what culture is and different ways of teaching on each one!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
We are discussing continents.

Central America is not a continent, which you alluded to in previous posts.

You also stated that North America and South America are not continents.

They ARE continents. In the model that I was taught.

You point out that the 7 continent model is not taught in Latin America, that's fine... The 6 continent combined America model is taught there, in which, Central America is still not a continent. But fine, in your model, America (north and south inclusive) is a single continent. Fine.

At the risk of sounding imperious, this is an English-based forum, so I'm well within my rights to believe that the model that I was taught was the one I prefer to defend.

I appreciate that you were taught something different, and I will agree that overall, the selections in the poll are inadequate and go no further.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
At the risk of sounding imperious, this is an English-based forum, so I'm well within my rights to believe that the model that I was taught was the one I prefer to defend.

Well I can also consider myself within my rights to defend the system I was taught. But oh well, it's fine. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.