Where do people get their facts from!?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by superliu, Jul 28, 2015.

1. superliu, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

superliu macrumors member

I was at my doctor appointment a few days back (it was the day after Apple did their quarter result release). The nurse taking my blood pressure noticed my Apple watch and said "Oh, You have one of those watch. I heard they didn't sell so well". In which I replied, "Yes it's an Apple watch. And they made a billion dollar in sales, which is not too bad". In which she replied "Well isn't it a trillion dollar market? They are not meeting the expectation". I said "Well, the CEO of the company is quite happy with their figures."

Then she ask me how much I paid for mine. I replied "Around $650". (this is Canada, I bought an extra sport strip, Apple Care and tax). She said "oh that's it, i thought they are a few thousand dollar." I wanted to explain to her that it can range from $350 to $17,000. But it was pointless. Nothing will impress her unless the watch can magically fly on it's own.

What's is wrong with our media, or how are people reading into the media???

How's a billion dollar sales in a quarter with a brand new product not meeting expectation?

Is there even a trillion dollar market? I don't think even the oil and gas industry makes that much revenue in a year.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People get their information from the media and they've been twisting the facts.

3. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Are you sure she wasn't just bored and messing with you? ;)

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A nurse messing with a patient? More like brainwashed by the media.

5. shortcrust macrumors 6502

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

7. superliu, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

superliu thread starter macrumors member

I don't care too much, but it bugs me a little knowing she heard from one person or one radio station saying the Apple watch is a flop, then she didn't look at the facts or numbers, and start to make her own (like smart watch industry is worth a trillion dollar).

I think my blood pressure reading was a little higher that day. :)

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think it's so much caring about what others thought but correcting misconceptions that the media has spread. What was the OP supposed to say, "Yeah, you read right"?

9. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

Caring what the nurse thinks is on par with worrying about what others think about what color your iPhone is. In other words, don't you have better things to worry about? You would think her perception of the Apple watch is a personal attack on you. I don't get it.

10. shortcrust macrumors 6502

:) I do know what you both mean, but people think and say all sorts of crazy stuff. Half the papers here in the UK tell the public a load of rubbish about weighty matters on a daily basis and people lap it up and parrot it to anyone who'll listen. If I were to spend my time correcting misconceptions that the media has spread, the apple watch would be very far down my list.

11. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Suppose you could have added "well the millions sold in a few months out sold all the smart watches out there for the whole previous year by manufacturers who have been in the business for several years now" by like what multiple? but you know people like to parrot the press who don't even understand the tech industry but need something salacious to lead with on the news. The way I look at it there are a lot of tech folks out there that develop in one way or another for non-Apple platforms, all with families who depend on them having a good job, and it must gall them to see Apple do so well. I think it really kills them that they are the most valuable company, with tons of cash, and a rising usage base and that people flock to their products all around the world. To try to come to terms with that they will belittle Apple customers and try to disparage their products.

Apple is rumored to be the most manipulated stock by traders. It could be; and let's face it if it weren't for "bad or disappointing news despite another stellar quarter" because the Street overestimated, then people would hold onto Apple stock for the long term and not sell and invest that money in other companies. Plus the brokerage firms won't make any money off nonexistent sales of Apple stock. Basically bashing Apple is not going to change any time soon so not worth your raised blood pressure.

I'm looking forward to seeing how popular the Apple Watch is come the gift giving holidays around the world this coming year. I think they will do well.

12. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

13. dandrewk macrumors 6502

If it bleeds, it leads. Any article that says the Apple Watch is selling "great, beyond expectations" is met with a ho-hum. Magazines/newspapers don't sell that way, and URLs never get clicked on those stories.

However, if some obscure analyst with a poor track record with actual facts makes a marginally cautious statement about Apple Watch sales, and it's STOP THE PRESSES, FRONT PAGE NEWS! And that's all the average person sees.

How do you think FauxNews is still in existence? The media can report anything, but it doesn't necessarily mean its factual.

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Is she an idiot? In what industry is 1 trillion dollars an expected market profit? This isn't even about being misinformed. She is a moron of elephantine proportions.

15. kdarling, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Ironically, you mangled numbers like the nurse did, only in reverse :)

The more correct comment would be, "Well Apple sold as many in its first three months this year, as all the other the smart watches sold in six months last year." I.e. the Apple Watch did well, selling in its first quarter about half as many as all the smartwatches sold in 2014.

In any case, numbers are boring to most people. I think a much better reply would've been, "I don't care how many it sold. I love mine and it's great for seeing notifications while you're at work unable to use your phone." That would get any worker's attention.

16. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

She was correct, I'm afraid.

Tim Cook doesn't want to give us any sales figures, so we know that the watch has flopped.

17. CobraPA macrumors 6502

You better sell your stock! :cool:

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Sometimes the ****ed up media, sometimes I'm convinced people get their facts straight out of their a-holes.

19. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Why would it bother you that she read that the watch is a flop? Why would you get so emotional about such thing?

20. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Nurse "You're wearing the Apple Watch? It seems to be a flop!"
    Patient "Yeah. Whatever" :p

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

1. She's not actually interested in the watch.
    2. But she sees you are, so she's just making idle chit-chat to put you at ease while she pokes needles into you.

That is all.

22. iFanaddic, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

In the end it's the "general opinion" that makes a product successful. If the "word on the street" about the Apple Watch negative it could have a issues becoming mainstream. Right now the Apple Watch is a product for a certain niche, but Apple doesn't do niche product (pro machines less updated, ipods less updated,...) We care about the Watch's success because it will a 100% affect future iterations of the devices and ultimately how much effort Apple puts into its designs.

This is why some people, like myself, are concerned when they hear negative comments such as these. We want Apple to continue putting efforts into it.

23. ifarlow macrumors regular

ifarlow

It's funny that you would single out Fox News as if they are the only news organization that cherry picks their stories and embellishes for the sake of viewership. You might want to expand your distain to cover all the other news organizations out there. None of them are unbiased or interested in reporting nothing but the facts.

24. CellXor10 macrumors regular

This is exactly what I thought as well when reading the OP. It's standard protocol for certain situations. Your barber might raise the same line of questioning. They very well couldn't care less and scrolled passed one headline that declared the Watch a flop and that being the only shred of evidence prior to seeing your Watch that Apple has produced the product.

25. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

But why are you concerned? What's in it for you if the watch is a success or a bust?