Where do you buy gas?

Where do you buy gas

• Total voters

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
do you go to the same place, cheapest price, closest to your home/work?

I always try to go to the same gas station.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I try to go to the same place every time, or at least the same "brand". However, since I always wait until my fuel gauge is on practically past the "E" and the car says I have 0 miles left on my tank, I will usually go to the closest one I can find.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
In upstate NY, there is a chain called Cumberland Farms. If you sign up for their 'club,' I get 10 cents off a gallon every time.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The GetGo (Giant Eagle's gas, a regional grocery store like Winn-Dixie or Stop 'N Shop) down by the marina. Not only do I get discounts for their fuel perks program, but it's 100% gas because the boats' small engines can't deal with the up to 15% ethanol additive. Cheap(er), sometimes free, gas plus more power and better fuel economy.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My local supermarket sells gas and since it is only a couple of miles from my house I usually get it there.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
There's one right near my house so I just go there most of time, out of convenience.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Usually whatever is closest, or if I'm thinking ahead enough and will be going by one that is cheaper then I'll get it wherever it is cheapest.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
We have a gas station right down the hill/street, so whenever I'm running on empty I can just nip down before driving somewhere.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I'll usually do the closest to me when I'm running low but has the cheapest. Depends where I am, if I'm in a certain area I can get ethanol free for fairly cheap but if I'm in another area and know I won't be near a better station for a while I'll fill up there.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Typically I get gas at the Sunoco station which is close to home and on the way there. But sometimes I go to other stations if I need to or the price is much better.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i hate that people drive around looking to save 3 cents/gallon. Even if you fill up 20 gallons that a savings of 60 cents. You probably burned more then that in fuel looking for the "deal".

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
how come? bad experience or are there other reasons?
Usually any opposition to Citgo is because they're owned by Venezuela and that's where their oil comes from. It's much better to buy gas from the other chains who get their oil from Saudi Arabia, where everyone is free and there's no severe human rights violations, oppression, gender apartheid or women getting stoned to death for being raped.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I choose option E: I buy the cheapest that is the closest to where I am, which is usually the same station.

Luckily, the station just down the street from my house is one of the cheapest in the area, so I rarely have to choose. Otherwise, I just pull off, see who is the cheapest in that spot, and go there (unless I know that they are all wildly exorbitant, like some stations around the city).

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
A combination of closest and cheapest. I tend to not run on fumes (really start looking at a quarter tank), so I use GasBuddy to find the best prices on my route.

Luckily my 20-mile one way commute offers a variety of ways to get there. I can take the freeway or I can take two completely different routes (one due W then S, one due S then W) all of the same length +/- 1 mile or less. So I scope out which gas station is cheapest - including no credit card fees. I love my cash back and I almost never go to a station that charges a fee for credit.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Usually any opposition to Citgo is because they're owned by Venezuela and that's where their oil comes from. It's much better to buy gas from the other chains who get their oil from Saudi Arabia, where everyone is free and there's no severe human rights violations, oppression, gender apartheid or women getting stoned to death for being raped.
Yes, but Citgo is directly owned by the government of Venezuela. I prefer to buy from an American gas company, so at least there's less money going to the middle east (and Americans get a cut).