Where do you buy gas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carjakester, Mar 5, 2014.

?

Where do you buy gas

1. Same gas station every time

41.7%
  2. whatever is cheapest

21.7%
  3. closest to you when you need it

26.7%
  4. no preference

10.0%
  1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

do you go to the same place, cheapest price, closest to your home/work?

I always try to go to the same gas station.

2. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

3. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I try to go to the same place every time, or at least the same "brand". However, since I always wait until my fuel gauge is on practically past the "E" and the car says I have 0 miles left on my tank, I will usually go to the closest one I can find.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

In upstate NY, there is a chain called Cumberland Farms. If you sign up for their 'club,' I get 10 cents off a gallon every time.

5. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

The cheapest place that is not "sam's gas" or "Andy's fill er up Station" etc.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The GetGo (Giant Eagle's gas, a regional grocery store like Winn-Dixie or Stop 'N Shop) down by the marina. Not only do I get discounts for their fuel perks program, but it's 100% gas because the boats' small engines can't deal with the up to 15% ethanol additive. Cheap(er), sometimes free, gas plus more power and better fuel economy.

7. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Whatever's closest. I'm not driving out of my way to save 3 cents a gallon.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My local supermarket sells gas and since it is only a couple of miles from my house I usually get it there.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's one right near my house so I just go there most of time, out of convenience.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Usually whatever is closest, or if I'm thinking ahead enough and will be going by one that is cheaper then I'll get it wherever it is cheapest.

12. NukeIT macrumors regular

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I got this...a gas station. Always at a gas station.

15. Andeavor macrumors 6502

We have a gas station right down the hill/street, so whenever I'm running on empty I can just nip down before driving somewhere.

16. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'll usually do the closest to me when I'm running low but has the cheapest. Depends where I am, if I'm in a certain area I can get ethanol free for fairly cheap but if I'm in another area and know I won't be near a better station for a while I'll fill up there.

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The closest place happens to be the cheapest place (99% of the time), so it's the place I fill up every time. All of the above.:D

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Typically I get gas at the Sunoco station which is close to home and on the way there. But sometimes I go to other stations if I need to or the price is much better.

19. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i hate that people drive around looking to save 3 cents/gallon. Even if you fill up 20 gallons that a savings of 60 cents. You probably burned more then that in fuel looking for the "deal".

20. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

21. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

how come? bad experience or are there other reasons?

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Usually any opposition to Citgo is because they're owned by Venezuela and that's where their oil comes from. It's much better to buy gas from the other chains who get their oil from Saudi Arabia, where everyone is free and there's no severe human rights violations, oppression, gender apartheid or women getting stoned to death for being raped.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I choose option E: I buy the cheapest that is the closest to where I am, which is usually the same station.

Luckily, the station just down the street from my house is one of the cheapest in the area, so I rarely have to choose. Otherwise, I just pull off, see who is the cheapest in that spot, and go there (unless I know that they are all wildly exorbitant, like some stations around the city).

24. malman89 macrumors 68000

A combination of closest and cheapest. I tend to not run on fumes (really start looking at a quarter tank), so I use GasBuddy to find the best prices on my route.

Luckily my 20-mile one way commute offers a variety of ways to get there. I can take the freeway or I can take two completely different routes (one due W then S, one due S then W) all of the same length +/- 1 mile or less. So I scope out which gas station is cheapest - including no credit card fees. I love my cash back and I almost never go to a station that charges a fee for credit.

25. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Yes, but Citgo is directly owned by the government of Venezuela. I prefer to buy from an American gas company, so at least there's less money going to the middle east (and Americans get a cut).